TWO elderly people were rescued after a fire broke out in the library of a sheltered accommodation block.

Crews from Rayleigh Weir, Hawkwell and Leigh were called to Chignal House, in Tendring Road, Rayleigh shortly before midnight last night. When the arrived at the scene the library was fully alight.

Firefighters donned breathing equipment before tackling the blaze, and rescuing the two residents, with an 80 year-old man left in the care of the Ambulance Service, having suffered the effects of smoke inhalation.

The fire had been put out by 12:30am.