Southend gets £6m City Deal to boost economy

John Lamb welcomes City Deal which will see the former library in Victoria Avenue transformed into a suppoprt centre for new business.

John Lamb welcomes City Deal which will see the former library in Victoria Avenue transformed into a suppoprt centre for new business.

First published in Southend

THE Government has announced Southend is to benefit from a £6million City Deal which will regenerate rundown areas and boost businesses and jobs.

Cities Minister Greg Clark will be at the Civic Centre, Victoria Avenue, today, to sign the City Deal, which the council applied for in October 2012, and which has only been awarded to 19 other cities and towns across the country.

The deal, which will free up £6million of public and private investment in the borough, has committed the council to buying empty properties on Victoria Avenue and working with developers to create new commercial and residential developments.

As part of the planned regeneration, £1.35million will be spent on transforming the former Central Library into a “business incubation space” to allow new companies to thrive with the right support.

There will also be £1.81million earmarked to offer intensive support for 1,350 small and mediumsized businesses.

The University of Essex will be involved with helping businesses in research and development, offering training, advice, online resources and grants.

This is expected to help at least 375 businesses improve performance and help create or safeguard 555 jobs in the borough. As part of the redevelopment of Victoria Avenue, funds are expected to be directed at the more deprived wards in the town centre.

Speaking ahead of his visit to Southend, Mr Clark said: “Southend has the potential to be a driving force for growth in the South East. It is a great place for businesses to locate, expand or start-up.

“To help achieve that potential, local business and civic leaders told us they wanted to give much better support to small and medium- sized businesses. I amdelighted to be able to say ‘yes’ to that proposal which is a big boost for the economy of Southend.”

Of the £6million, £2.5million will come from the Government, £3million from private investment and £670,000 from local government.

However, the deal also gives the council greater control over where this is spent, as spending on business support is, for most local authorities, largely dictated by Government.

The deal will allow the council to build on proposals from the Lottery-funded Coastal Communities Fund to support tourism using local knowledge to direct funds.

Southend Council’s deputy leader said the City Deal will be a huge boost to regeneration in the town.

John Lamb said: “It’s a great opportunity for regeneration that will enhance the town and create better homes, better businesses and better jobs.

“I’m pleased it has been settled now. It’s just a shame it’s taken so long as it’s been in the pipeline for more than 12 months, but it’s great news.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:31am Mon 10 Mar 14

Howard Cháse says...

Trebles, extra helpings of pie and gravy, crates of ale and solid gold pocket linings all round.....
Trebles, extra helpings of pie and gravy, crates of ale and solid gold pocket linings all round..... Howard Cháse
  • Score: -1

12:32pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Public Inconvenience says...

So the former library will be a "business incubation space", I thought this site had been earmarked for the re-location of Beecroft Gallery ?
So the former library will be a "business incubation space", I thought this site had been earmarked for the re-location of Beecroft Gallery ? Public Inconvenience
  • Score: 12

1:00pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Joe Clark says...

Public Inconvenience wrote:
So the former library will be a "business incubation space", I thought this site had been earmarked for the re-location of Beecroft Gallery ?
Two upper floors for the business area the lower and ground floor for the gallery.
[quote][p][bold]Public Inconvenience[/bold] wrote: So the former library will be a "business incubation space", I thought this site had been earmarked for the re-location of Beecroft Gallery ?[/p][/quote]Two upper floors for the business area the lower and ground floor for the gallery. Joe Clark
  • Score: 2

5:55pm Mon 10 Mar 14

jolllyboy says...

This is supposed to try to be a city of culture - where is it ? We were promised a gallery.
Vic Ave has had a try at attracting business and the empty buildings are your answer to that. We have been here before.
No doubt we will see 6m spread so thinly we will lose touch of where it goes -maybe straight into the business park promised near the airport.
All this money coming into the town from one direction or another yet all the residents see is cuts cuts and more cuts. We live here give us something better. Already you are going to suffer at the ballot box.
This is supposed to try to be a city of culture - where is it ? We were promised a gallery. Vic Ave has had a try at attracting business and the empty buildings are your answer to that. We have been here before. No doubt we will see 6m spread so thinly we will lose touch of where it goes -maybe straight into the business park promised near the airport. All this money coming into the town from one direction or another yet all the residents see is cuts cuts and more cuts. We live here give us something better. Already you are going to suffer at the ballot box. jolllyboy
  • Score: 0

5:43pm Tue 11 Mar 14

jayman says...

I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint,

In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...
I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint, In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again... jayman
  • Score: -3

11:04pm Tue 11 Mar 14

Joe Clark says...

jayman wrote:
I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint,

In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...
Why are you against investment in Southend and creating a support centre for people why are trying to get a new business off the ground, I take it you are so very very well off you own a huge home employ lots of staff and don't care about those who want to improve their lives off their own backs and not live off the bloated state hand-outs that are far far too generous and do NOT promote work is better then benefits.

The benefits culture must be broken and changes to make it LESS profitable on benefits than work must be forced through the sooner the better, if anyone is against it shows they are work shy slackers.

labour were just as bad as the banks BOTH failed and that is something you can not deny.
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint, In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...[/p][/quote]Why are you against investment in Southend and creating a support centre for people why are trying to get a new business off the ground, I take it you are so very very well off you own a huge home employ lots of staff and don't care about those who want to improve their lives off their own backs and not live off the bloated state hand-outs that are far far too generous and do NOT promote work is better then benefits. The benefits culture must be broken and changes to make it LESS profitable on benefits than work must be forced through the sooner the better, if anyone is against it shows they are work shy slackers. labour were just as bad as the banks BOTH failed and that is something you can not deny. Joe Clark
  • Score: 2

8:49am Wed 12 Mar 14

Happy Chickie says...

jayman wrote:
I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint,

In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...
Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else?

What a grumbling old **** you must be.
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint, In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...[/p][/quote]Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else? What a grumbling old **** you must be. Happy Chickie
  • Score: 1

1:15pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Joe Clark says...

Happy Chickie wrote:
jayman wrote:
I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint,

In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...
Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else?

What a grumbling old **** you must be.
Happy Chickie you will learn that if a proposal has anything to do with the Tory's jayman will be against it no matter what it is, as you say against investment, the airport, job creation, benefits cuts and probably the sky being blue!
[quote][p][bold]Happy Chickie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint, In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...[/p][/quote]Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else? What a grumbling old **** you must be.[/p][/quote]Happy Chickie you will learn that if a proposal has anything to do with the Tory's jayman will be against it no matter what it is, as you say against investment, the airport, job creation, benefits cuts and probably the sky being blue! Joe Clark
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Wed 12 Mar 14

jayman says...

Joe Clark wrote:
Happy Chickie wrote:
jayman wrote:
I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint,

In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...
Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else?

What a grumbling old **** you must be.
Happy Chickie you will learn that if a proposal has anything to do with the Tory's jayman will be against it no matter what it is, as you say against investment, the airport, job creation, benefits cuts and probably the sky being blue!
i am against.

1) misappropriation of public funds.
2) misrepresentation of public spending.
3) public money used to support private enterprise with little or no return.
4) enabling or (cooked) consultations.

what i am for is

1) A forensic audit and full publication of Southend councils accounts.
2) a reversal and individual accountability of (and individuals linked to) the points i stated in 1,2,3 and 4...

enjoy the sunshine..
[quote][p][bold]Joe Clark[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Happy Chickie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: I guess the government want to dispose of some cash. I can only assume that the report advised against burning the money as it would increase the UK's carbon footprint, In conclusion the report must have suggested that the best way of 'disposing' of this unwanted money was to grant it to Southend council as a carbon neutral way of never seeing the money or 'anything for it' ever again...[/p][/quote]Against investment, against the airport - is there anything you like? If you don't like it, why not sling your hook and go live somewhere else? What a grumbling old **** you must be.[/p][/quote]Happy Chickie you will learn that if a proposal has anything to do with the Tory's jayman will be against it no matter what it is, as you say against investment, the airport, job creation, benefits cuts and probably the sky being blue![/p][/quote]i am against. 1) misappropriation of public funds. 2) misrepresentation of public spending. 3) public money used to support private enterprise with little or no return. 4) enabling or (cooked) consultations. what i am for is 1) A forensic audit and full publication of Southend councils accounts. 2) a reversal and individual accountability of (and individuals linked to) the points i stated in 1,2,3 and 4... enjoy the sunshine.. jayman
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree