Westcliff man hopes to bag £1m for new crisp flavour

Here’s hoping – Paul with his pulled pork crisps

Here’s hoping – Paul with his pulled pork crisps

First published in Echo News by

A CRISP fanatic from Westcliff could bag himself a cool £1million, but only with the help of the public.

Paul Rothwell, 40, is a self-confessed crisp fiend and when Walkers launched its latest campaign to find a new flavour, he couldn’t resist taking part.

A big fan of American food shows where everything is ramped up to 11, Paul suggested his take on the barbecue favourite, pulled pork.

He said: “I must admit I do like my crisps, there’s a vending machine at work and I get a packet in the afternoon.

“I saw the ‘do us a flavour’ promotion on a pack one day in February and I’d just had my first go at making pulled pork, so I thought of that.

“I heard I’d made it through to the final six a couple of months later, then had to keep quiet until it was announced in July.”

With the £1million prize pot almost within reach, Paul – who works in financial servies – is busy campaigning for votes and dreaming of what he could do with the cash. He added: “It is up to the public to decide the winner, but I am desperately asking for help from the people of Essex to vote for pulled pork.

THE FINAL 6 FLAVOURS

  • Pulled pork in BBQ sauce
  • Cheesy beans on toast
  • Hot dog with tomato sauce
  • Sizzling steak fajita
  • Chip shop chicken curry
  • Ranch raccoon

Paul added: “If I win then I’d love to go to America to experience their barbecue food for myself, and my wife’s brother has moved to Australia, so we’d go out and visit him, too.”

The vending machine that sparked his idea in the first place is now stocking Paul’s very own creation and he admits the bag of 24 packets he was given by Walkers did not last very long.

Given Paul’s love of strong American flavours, his previous preferences in crisps were a little more traditional.

He said: “I do like ready salted and also cheesy crisps, but the big bag Walkers gave us didn’t last long and I’ve been getting really positive feedback from everyone who’s tried my flavour so far.”

To vote for Paul’s flavour, visit www.walkers.co.uk/pork Voting closes on October 17.

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:14pm Tue 2 Sep 14

thecoat says...

Voted for Sizzling steak fajita
Voted for Sizzling steak fajita thecoat
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Tue 2 Sep 14

ORACUS says...

What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.
What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on. ORACUS
  • Score: -3

1:34pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Not sure how that worked it but surely 100's of people must of said 'pulled pork' flavour as its 'The' in thing right now, maybe he was first or it was pulled from a hat..unless he was the only one who put that forward, and the same goes for all the others.
Anyway, good luck with the Million quids someone has to win it, i ain't tried any yet, guess i best get up to speed.
Not sure how that worked it but surely 100's of people must of said 'pulled pork' flavour as its 'The' in thing right now, maybe he was first or it was pulled from a hat..unless he was the only one who put that forward, and the same goes for all the others. Anyway, good luck with the Million quids someone has to win it, i ain't tried any yet, guess i best get up to speed. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 4

1:38pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back.
and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour.
I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back. and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 3

1:45pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Howard Cháse says...

Pulling his pork?

Be a bit salty then...

what about cockle flavour?
Pulling his pork? Be a bit salty then... what about cockle flavour? Howard Cháse
  • Score: 11

1:50pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Leighdweller says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
Not sure how that worked it but surely 100's of people must of said 'pulled pork' flavour as its 'The' in thing right now, maybe he was first or it was pulled from a hat..unless he was the only one who put that forward, and the same goes for all the others.
Anyway, good luck with the Million quids someone has to win it, i ain't tried any yet, guess i best get up to speed.
Was thinking the same... I think it's on the basis of who submitted their suggestion first.

We submitted dozens of various flavours but wasn't picked, sadly. Good luck to the guy.
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: Not sure how that worked it but surely 100's of people must of said 'pulled pork' flavour as its 'The' in thing right now, maybe he was first or it was pulled from a hat..unless he was the only one who put that forward, and the same goes for all the others. Anyway, good luck with the Million quids someone has to win it, i ain't tried any yet, guess i best get up to speed.[/p][/quote]Was thinking the same... I think it's on the basis of who submitted their suggestion first. We submitted dozens of various flavours but wasn't picked, sadly. Good luck to the guy. Leighdweller
  • Score: 4

2:18pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Howard Cháse says...

Robin Reliant wrote:
I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back.
and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour.
I agree about Golden Wonder. Far superior to Wa*kers crisps
[quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back. and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour.[/p][/quote]I agree about Golden Wonder. Far superior to Wa*kers crisps Howard Cháse
  • Score: 4

2:59pm Tue 2 Sep 14

emcee says...

Howard Cháse wrote:
Robin Reliant wrote:
I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back.
and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour.
I agree about Golden Wonder. Far superior to Wa*kers crisps
Walkers used to be good, 30+ years ago, but they have become somewhat "ordinary". Not only has the amount you get in a bag shrunk somwhat they have become downright expensive and, therefore, a bit of a rip-off. I far prefer the offering Lidl and Aldi sell. There seems to be more substance to them and they are less than 10p a packet for the same size bag as Walkers.
[quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin Reliant[/bold] wrote: I was a big cheese and pickle wotsits fan years back. and the forgotten Golden Wonder brand, had a lot of those over the summer excellent strong flavours and i would say has the edge over walkers on flavour.[/p][/quote]I agree about Golden Wonder. Far superior to Wa*kers crisps[/p][/quote]Walkers used to be good, 30+ years ago, but they have become somewhat "ordinary". Not only has the amount you get in a bag shrunk somwhat they have become downright expensive and, therefore, a bit of a rip-off. I far prefer the offering Lidl and Aldi sell. There seems to be more substance to them and they are less than 10p a packet for the same size bag as Walkers. emcee
  • Score: 6

4:56pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Alice in Her Own Land :P says...

Ranch raccoon ones are revolting!
Pulled pork ones are much better.
Ranch raccoon ones are revolting! Pulled pork ones are much better. Alice in Her Own Land :P
  • Score: 1

5:12pm Tue 2 Sep 14

ShipShape says...

Howard Cháse wrote:
Pulling his pork?

Be a bit salty then...

what about cockle flavour?
I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad?
[quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Pulling his pork? Be a bit salty then... what about cockle flavour?[/p][/quote]I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad? ShipShape
  • Score: 9

5:35pm Tue 2 Sep 14

bignosechaff says...

ShipShape wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote:
Pulling his pork?

Be a bit salty then...

what about cockle flavour?
I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad?
Oh Matron!!!
[quote][p][bold]ShipShape[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Pulling his pork? Be a bit salty then... what about cockle flavour?[/p][/quote]I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad?[/p][/quote]Oh Matron!!! bignosechaff
  • Score: 8

8:23pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

Alice in Her Own Land :P wrote:
Ranch raccoon ones are revolting!
Pulled pork ones are much better.
how would we know what a raccoon tastes like...that won't win.
[quote][p][bold]Alice in Her Own Land :P[/bold] wrote: Ranch raccoon ones are revolting! Pulled pork ones are much better.[/p][/quote]how would we know what a raccoon tastes like...that won't win. Robin Reliant
  • Score: 0

9:02pm Tue 2 Sep 14

hornsxandxhalos says...

I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?.
I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together.
I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?. I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together. hornsxandxhalos
  • Score: 2

9:11pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Almeda11 says...

ORACUS wrote:
What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.
What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices.
[quote][p][bold]ORACUS[/bold] wrote: What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.[/p][/quote]What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices. Almeda11
  • Score: -1

9:12pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Almeda11 says...

Almeda11 wrote:
ORACUS wrote:
What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.
What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices.
YOU -- NOT TRUE !!!!
[quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ORACUS[/bold] wrote: What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.[/p][/quote]What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices.[/p][/quote]YOU -- NOT TRUE !!!! Almeda11
  • Score: -2

9:39pm Tue 2 Sep 14

Richy don't shine shoes no more says...

ShipShape wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote:
Pulling his pork?

Be a bit salty then...

what about cockle flavour?
I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad?
I prefer syrup
[quote][p][bold]ShipShape[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: Pulling his pork? Be a bit salty then... what about cockle flavour?[/p][/quote]I wonder if anyone suggested Tossed Salad?[/p][/quote]I prefer syrup Richy don't shine shoes no more
  • Score: -1

10:27pm Tue 2 Sep 14

ThisYear says...

hornsxandxhalos wrote:
I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?.
I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together.
The marinade the PP should be cooked in.
[quote][p][bold]hornsxandxhalos[/bold] wrote: I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?. I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together.[/p][/quote]The marinade the PP should be cooked in. ThisYear
  • Score: 0

11:28pm Tue 2 Sep 14

andyman1971 says...

How about "Saturday night when drunk doner kebab flavour" that would be a right hit in essex lol
How about "Saturday night when drunk doner kebab flavour" that would be a right hit in essex lol andyman1971
  • Score: 11

11:43pm Tue 2 Sep 14

ORACUS says...

Almeda11 wrote:
ORACUS wrote:
What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.
What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices.
Walkers use of base flavours proves me correct.
[quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ORACUS[/bold] wrote: What competition it was fixed from the start the winner will be the person who has selected the flavour walkers had already decided on.[/p][/quote]What a cynic tou are, and notot true either. l entered this competition a few times and contestants had autonomy to decide on their own choices.[/p][/quote]Walkers use of base flavours proves me correct. ORACUS
  • Score: -3

9:29am Wed 3 Sep 14

ddf35 says...

Of the flavours ive tried, they're all nice (not tried curry or beans) - but nothing amazing to be honest. it'd be cool if he wins.

but if a 'crisp fiend' is someone who one pack a day - then i think there are A LOT of crisp fiends about! A multi pack a day and then ill reconsider :P
Of the flavours ive tried, they're all nice (not tried curry or beans) - but nothing amazing to be honest. it'd be cool if he wins. but if a 'crisp fiend' is someone who one pack a day - then i think there are A LOT of crisp fiends about! A multi pack a day and then ill reconsider :P ddf35
  • Score: 2

9:36am Wed 3 Sep 14

hornsxandxhalos says...

ThisYear wrote:
hornsxandxhalos wrote:
I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?.
I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together.
The marinade the PP should be cooked in.
Oh, ok.
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hornsxandxhalos[/bold] wrote: I don't eat meat, but how is 'pulled pork' any different in taste to pork that has been sliced or cut into chunks?. I'm sure what ever the winning flavour is, it'll taste nice, I love most crisp flavours, but I've noticed most winners of these comps are quite boring, plain and very similar to other flavours. They need to makes some with weird flavours that may seem a little odd, but taste nice together.[/p][/quote]The marinade the PP should be cooked in.[/p][/quote]Oh, ok. hornsxandxhalos
  • Score: 1

8:39am Thu 4 Sep 14

andyproberts@hotmail.com says...

I've just registered and voted for Paul's pulled pork, although I've not tried the flavour yet. Good luck Paul!
I've just registered and voted for Paul's pulled pork, although I've not tried the flavour yet. Good luck Paul! andyproberts@hotmail.com
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree