Social worker who wanted "violent" teen mum to keep child suspended for a year (From Southend Standard)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Thurrock social worker who wanted "violent" teen mum to keep child suspended for a year
A FORMER council social worker who enabled a “violent” teenage mother to keep her “at risk” child has been banned from working in his profession for a year.
A misconduct hearing found Malcolm Gilman, from Grays, guilty of defying his bosses, who were taking the young girl into care during family court proceedings.
The tribunal in London heard Mr Gilman was a Thurrock Council case worker for the girl, known as Child A.
She was taken to hospital after receiving head injuries during a clash between her mum and the mum’s sister in November 2012.
The 18-year-old mother, who had been in care herself, was known to social services at the time of the birth due to regular fights with her family.
A report written by the Health and Care Professions Council, which carried out the hearing, said: “The mother of ChildAhad been involved in an allegedly violent domestic incident with her sister and Child A had been present and had received a head injury. There were concerns that the mother was indifferent to the fact that Child A had been injured.”
On November 19, 2012, the council applied to the Essex family proceedings court in Basildon for the youngster to be taken into care.
The hearing was told Mr Gilman gave evidence to that court hearing that he did not feel the child would be in immediate harm in her mother’s care and he did not recommend the separation.
This was at odds with his superiors and the council application.
Initially, he had supported the making of a police protection order which would have resulted in the child being separated from her mother.
The Health and Care Professions Council conduct and competence panel heard that he gave no reason why he had charged his position and there was no new evidence to support the change.
Panel chair Sarah Baalham said: “This was an isolated incident and Mr Gilman’s failings are capable of remedy.
However, he has provided no evidence of appropriate insight or any attempt on his part to address or remedy the failings.”
Mr Gilman, who resigned after the council launched a probe, was not present or represented at the hearing.
A council spokesman said after the hearing: “Mr Gilman was suspended as soon as this allegation came to light.
“He subsequently left the council’s employment.
“The council investigated the allegations and reported the matter to the Health and Care Professions Council.”
He would not say if the child was ever taken into care.
Comments are closed on this article.