Train capacity to be increased for south Essex commuters

Train capacity to be increased for south Essex commuters

Train capacity to be increased for south Essex commuters

First published in Echo News

CAPACITY on trains used by London-bound commuters will be increased by 20 per cent as part of £38billion plans.

On Monday morning Network Rail unveiled a five year plan to make improvements in rail infrastructure around the UK.

Included in the plans is a move to up capacity for passengers travelling into London including on the Greater Anglia line, which runs between Southend Victoria and London Liverpool Street, by 20 per cent during peak hours.

Also mentioned in the investment plans are the electrifying of 850 miles of train track, major station upgrades and up to 700 more trains between northern cities.

Transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin said the record amounts of money being ploughed into the railways will benefit the whole nation.

Mr McLoughlin said: “A key part of this Government's long-term economic plan is investing in world-class infrastructure.

“That is why we are putting record amounts of Government funding into our railways over the next five years.

"That investment will generate growth, create jobs and boost business while delivering faster journeys, greater comfort and better punctuality for passengers across the UK."

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:26pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Mattster says...

What tosh, Network Rail have nothing to do with the rolling stock provision and they can improve as much infrastructure as they like but unless Greater Anglia increase their fleet or even better replace their fleet of 25 year old boneshakers the passenger isn't going to notice much.
What tosh, Network Rail have nothing to do with the rolling stock provision and they can improve as much infrastructure as they like but unless Greater Anglia increase their fleet or even better replace their fleet of 25 year old boneshakers the passenger isn't going to notice much. Mattster
  • Score: 16

7:50pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Richy don't shine shoes no more says...

Ever since the Tories privatised the system it's been an over priced shambles. Lack of seats in unacceptable for the prices they charge.

Profits before People.
Ever since the Tories privatised the system it's been an over priced shambles. Lack of seats in unacceptable for the prices they charge. Profits before People. Richy don't shine shoes no more
  • Score: 9

8:32pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Nebs says...

Easy job, just rip out all the seats, capacity increased by over 20 percent, problem solved.

All public transport should be free at the point of use, paid for out of general taxation.
Easy job, just rip out all the seats, capacity increased by over 20 percent, problem solved. All public transport should be free at the point of use, paid for out of general taxation. Nebs
  • Score: -5

9:44pm Thu 3 Apr 14

152 says...

If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news.
If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news. 152
  • Score: 5

11:26pm Thu 3 Apr 14

leighsteve says...

152 wrote:
If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news.
Indeed! I made sure I commented after travelling on the demonstrator train that we do not want 2 seats either side with more standing! I hated that when I used the Southeastern trains into London Bridge. I don't want to stand for 45 minutes ever morning/evening (assuming no delays that is!)....
People will probably end up sitting on the floor!
[quote][p][bold]152[/bold] wrote: If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news.[/p][/quote]Indeed! I made sure I commented after travelling on the demonstrator train that we do not want 2 seats either side with more standing! I hated that when I used the Southeastern trains into London Bridge. I don't want to stand for 45 minutes ever morning/evening (assuming no delays that is!).... People will probably end up sitting on the floor! leighsteve
  • Score: 3

12:09am Fri 4 Apr 14

leighsteve says...

It's a long read, but here's the report - http://www.networkra
il.co.uk/browse%20do
cuments/strategicbus
inessplan/cp5/suppor
ting%20documents/our
%20activity%20and%20
expenditure%20plans/
route%20plans/anglia
%20route%20plan.pdf
I've skim read it and they say they're pretty much at capacity now for us, and the Southend line isn't going to get much more.
Only bits to help us are where it talks about getting 2 currently unused (for passengers) lines between Stratford and Liverpool St into service, but doesn't really mention anything on Greater Anglia beyond Shenfield to Southend apart from Wickford line being upgraded to support 12 carriages.
One thing they admit is the Overhead Wire setup is rubbish and unreliable in a lot of places and needs replacing as it dates from the 1940s, and replace copper cabling with aluminium to stop thieves!

Elsewhere in Greater Anglia's world though there are loads of improvements (e.g. Norwich, Chelmsford, Colchester lines/trains)

For C2C too it talks about various improvements planned to junctions and stations and line speeds.

It also talks about big increases in freight carrying capacity are needed, and Crossrail will help (upgrades to meet Crossrail's standards and also the reduction of number of people getting off at Liverpool St).
It's a long read, but here's the report - http://www.networkra il.co.uk/browse%20do cuments/strategicbus inessplan/cp5/suppor ting%20documents/our %20activity%20and%20 expenditure%20plans/ route%20plans/anglia %20route%20plan.pdf I've skim read it and they say they're pretty much at capacity now for us, and the Southend line isn't going to get much more. Only bits to help us are where it talks about getting 2 currently unused (for passengers) lines between Stratford and Liverpool St into service, but doesn't really mention anything on Greater Anglia beyond Shenfield to Southend apart from Wickford line being upgraded to support 12 carriages. One thing they admit is the Overhead Wire setup is rubbish and unreliable in a lot of places and needs replacing as it dates from the 1940s, and replace copper cabling with aluminium to stop thieves! Elsewhere in Greater Anglia's world though there are loads of improvements (e.g. Norwich, Chelmsford, Colchester lines/trains) For C2C too it talks about various improvements planned to junctions and stations and line speeds. It also talks about big increases in freight carrying capacity are needed, and Crossrail will help (upgrades to meet Crossrail's standards and also the reduction of number of people getting off at Liverpool St). leighsteve
  • Score: 0

7:51am Fri 4 Apr 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Bring back First Class, with linen head rests, a buffet car and Guards...
Bring back First Class, with linen head rests, a buffet car and Guards... Nowthatsworthknowing
  • Score: -3

8:36am Fri 4 Apr 14

pembury53 says...

"That investment will generate growth, create jobs and boost business while delivering faster journeys, greater comfort and better punctuality for passengers across the UK." .......... a pack of lies..... nothing to do with the above, this is simply planning to meet demand for the thousands of extra commuters anticipated when the current housing projections are completed in rochford district........ i imagine a similar expansion will be announced on fenchurch line, otherwise i wouldn't envy those trying to use benfleet station in the future.....
"That investment will generate growth, create jobs and boost business while delivering faster journeys, greater comfort and better punctuality for passengers across the UK." .......... a pack of lies..... nothing to do with the above, this is simply planning to meet demand for the thousands of extra commuters anticipated when the current housing projections are completed in rochford district........ i imagine a similar expansion will be announced on fenchurch line, otherwise i wouldn't envy those trying to use benfleet station in the future..... pembury53
  • Score: 1

8:48am Fri 4 Apr 14

pembury53 says...

leighsteve wrote:
152 wrote: If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news.
Indeed! I made sure I commented after travelling on the demonstrator train that we do not want 2 seats either side with more standing! I hated that when I used the Southeastern trains into London Bridge. I don't want to stand for 45 minutes ever morning/evening (assuming no delays that is!).... People will probably end up sitting on the floor!
eventually it will be like in india, with desperate commuters, clinging to the roof....
[quote][p][bold]leighsteve[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]152[/bold] wrote: If this means that they are going ahead with the plan to increase standing room on the Class 321's by removing the third row of seats in the 3+2 configuration, this is actually BAD news.[/p][/quote]Indeed! I made sure I commented after travelling on the demonstrator train that we do not want 2 seats either side with more standing! I hated that when I used the Southeastern trains into London Bridge. I don't want to stand for 45 minutes ever morning/evening (assuming no delays that is!).... People will probably end up sitting on the floor![/p][/quote]eventually it will be like in india, with desperate commuters, clinging to the roof.... pembury53
  • Score: 5

10:08am Fri 4 Apr 14

beverman says...

Richy don't shine shoes no more wrote:
Ever since the Tories privatised the system it's been an over priced shambles. Lack of seats in unacceptable for the prices they charge.

Profits before People.
Pffffff more Tosh.....This is just Tory bashing.
The company that you work for does not make a profit then? Best look for another job very soon.
The c2c line is the best line in the country and it makes a profit. Thank goodness the system was privatised by the Tories.
I use the service every day and am very happy with it.
[quote][p][bold]Richy don't shine shoes no more[/bold] wrote: Ever since the Tories privatised the system it's been an over priced shambles. Lack of seats in unacceptable for the prices they charge. Profits before People.[/p][/quote]Pffffff more Tosh.....This is just Tory bashing. The company that you work for does not make a profit then? Best look for another job very soon. The c2c line is the best line in the country and it makes a profit. Thank goodness the system was privatised by the Tories. I use the service every day and am very happy with it. beverman
  • Score: -2

10:17am Fri 4 Apr 14

austiali says...

Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest.
Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest. austiali
  • Score: 3

10:22am Fri 4 Apr 14

joejoe111 says...

start by getting some new trains, we have had the same trains on the Southend Victoria line since the late 80's i believe. its totally not on and refurbishing the carriages is not going to convince people they are new trains.
start by getting some new trains, we have had the same trains on the Southend Victoria line since the late 80's i believe. its totally not on and refurbishing the carriages is not going to convince people they are new trains. joejoe111
  • Score: 3

10:45am Fri 4 Apr 14

rjsizzler says...

austiali wrote:
Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest.
How do C2C cope better as you suggest (I'm genuinely interested - not disputing)?

Whether you get a seat presumably depends where you get on doesn't it? I'm on the Southend Vic line and although choice is limited, most people still get a seat at Billericay - although not Shenfield. I've no idea about C2C line - do you still get a seat at say, Benfleet in the morning?

I'm not sure how they would increase capacity other than create more standing room in the trains on the Southend Vic line - trains in the rush hour are 12 carriage and every 10 minutes so I don't see where gains can be made.

Although old rolling stock and expensive, it does annoy me when people say the Southend Vic to LST is unreliable - I've been commuting for years and major delays are relatively rare and the most common reason is suicides.
[quote][p][bold]austiali[/bold] wrote: Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest.[/p][/quote]How do C2C cope better as you suggest (I'm genuinely interested - not disputing)? Whether you get a seat presumably depends where you get on doesn't it? I'm on the Southend Vic line and although choice is limited, most people still get a seat at Billericay - although not Shenfield. I've no idea about C2C line - do you still get a seat at say, Benfleet in the morning? I'm not sure how they would increase capacity other than create more standing room in the trains on the Southend Vic line - trains in the rush hour are 12 carriage and every 10 minutes so I don't see where gains can be made. Although old rolling stock and expensive, it does annoy me when people say the Southend Vic to LST is unreliable - I've been commuting for years and major delays are relatively rare and the most common reason is suicides. rjsizzler
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Fri 4 Apr 14

TowerBlockDreams says...

Its been quite a nightmare for the Victoria line, first it was Network South East, then Great Eastern Railway, then First Great Eastern, then One Railway then National Express East Anglia, now Abelio Greater Anglia, basically no one has been able to make a go of it! Its been a disaster and until some real investment goes into that line I think it may actually be a good idea to bring it back into state ownership, HOWEVER c2c has been a roaring success - I remember LTS Rail well with its slam door bouncy trains and disgusting stations, the service on that line is fantastic and the trains are really nice especially in the summer when they have air conditioning! Good work c2c if you ask me
Its been quite a nightmare for the Victoria line, first it was Network South East, then Great Eastern Railway, then First Great Eastern, then One Railway then National Express East Anglia, now Abelio Greater Anglia, basically no one has been able to make a go of it! Its been a disaster and until some real investment goes into that line I think it may actually be a good idea to bring it back into state ownership, HOWEVER c2c has been a roaring success - I remember LTS Rail well with its slam door bouncy trains and disgusting stations, the service on that line is fantastic and the trains are really nice especially in the summer when they have air conditioning! Good work c2c if you ask me TowerBlockDreams
  • Score: 1

5:22pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Ageing Commuter says...

rjsizzler wrote:
austiali wrote:
Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest.
How do C2C cope better as you suggest (I'm genuinely interested - not disputing)?

Whether you get a seat presumably depends where you get on doesn't it? I'm on the Southend Vic line and although choice is limited, most people still get a seat at Billericay - although not Shenfield. I've no idea about C2C line - do you still get a seat at say, Benfleet in the morning?

I'm not sure how they would increase capacity other than create more standing room in the trains on the Southend Vic line - trains in the rush hour are 12 carriage and every 10 minutes so I don't see where gains can be made.

Although old rolling stock and expensive, it does annoy me when people say the Southend Vic to LST is unreliable - I've been commuting for years and major delays are relatively rare and the most common reason is suicides.
C2C do better because they have a top class Managment team, dedicated staff, newer rolling stock, newer signalling plus it is a self contained line, i,e, we don't share a London Terminus with other Rail Companies. Mnd you it's not all good news on C2C as they still get it completely wrong when it all goes South and it always seems that those in charge disappear to the Pub when things go wrong. Despite all their promises of learning from every incident, they don't as nothing seems to change at the next incident. Communitions to the C2C foot Soldiers is still dire as I have even had to tell Drivers whats going on from the C2C Twitter feed which I have to say is excellent. If I am on a train when things go wrong, I never listen to the on train announcements (if there are any) and just look straight at Twitter. If they can get this bit right I am at a loss as to how the rest of it falls down.
[quote][p][bold]rjsizzler[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]austiali[/bold] wrote: Greater Anglia can't cope with the number of passengers they have already. I am lucky I travel on C2C now, no delays and I get a seat pretty much every morning and evening. And the trains are clean without someone else's hairgel on the back of the headrest.[/p][/quote]How do C2C cope better as you suggest (I'm genuinely interested - not disputing)? Whether you get a seat presumably depends where you get on doesn't it? I'm on the Southend Vic line and although choice is limited, most people still get a seat at Billericay - although not Shenfield. I've no idea about C2C line - do you still get a seat at say, Benfleet in the morning? I'm not sure how they would increase capacity other than create more standing room in the trains on the Southend Vic line - trains in the rush hour are 12 carriage and every 10 minutes so I don't see where gains can be made. Although old rolling stock and expensive, it does annoy me when people say the Southend Vic to LST is unreliable - I've been commuting for years and major delays are relatively rare and the most common reason is suicides.[/p][/quote]C2C do better because they have a top class Managment team, dedicated staff, newer rolling stock, newer signalling plus it is a self contained line, i,e, we don't share a London Terminus with other Rail Companies. Mnd you it's not all good news on C2C as they still get it completely wrong when it all goes South and it always seems that those in charge disappear to the Pub when things go wrong. Despite all their promises of learning from every incident, they don't as nothing seems to change at the next incident. Communitions to the C2C foot Soldiers is still dire as I have even had to tell Drivers whats going on from the C2C Twitter feed which I have to say is excellent. If I am on a train when things go wrong, I never listen to the on train announcements (if there are any) and just look straight at Twitter. If they can get this bit right I am at a loss as to how the rest of it falls down. Ageing Commuter
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree