Essex Police to investigate closure of glazing firm Tujon that cost customers thousands

Police probe glazing firm shut down

Police probe glazing firm shut down

First published in Echo News
Last updated
Exclusive by

ESSEX Police are now investigating the collapse of a double glazing firm which has left several south Essex homeowners thousands of pounds out of pocket.

The force is finally looking into allegations of fraud, after customers paid Tujon thousands of pounds for work that was never done.

In some cases, customers had money taken from them just hours before the company, based in High Road, Benfleet, shut down.

The police probe comes after the Echo highlighted the plight of customers earlier this month, who urged the authorities to take action.

A police spokesman said: “I can confirm officers are looking into complaints of potential fraud from customers of this company. There is nothing further to add while inquires are ongoing.”

Among Tujon victims is Peter Dixon, from Perry Street, Billericay, who paid a £600 deposit for replacement glass for his existing double glazing in mid-February.

Southend Standard:

East Ender: Peter Cox

He said: “I asked the salesman if everything was OK, because I found something on the internet about them, but because he assured me and I had used them before I felt it was OK.

“The salesman was the most genuine bloke and I’m an East End boy, so he really pulled the wool over my eyes if he knew what was going on.”

The salesman even removed a pane of glass, which he replaced with a temporary cover, as the sales act was carried out.

Mr Cox has now lost the cover and been unable to contact the salesman or the firm since.

He has been given a police incident number after reporting it as a possible theft of the window pane and fraud.

Mr Dixon said: “He took the middle window away and I can’t get hold of it, yet it belongs to us.

I feel conned.”

Southend Standard:

Give it back: The middle window was replaced with plastic

His neighbour, Maureen Skidmore, paid a £700 deposit for new patio doors, but no work has taken place and she too hasn’t been able to trace her deposit.

Victim, Jeff Freedman, 71, from Crosby Road, Westcliff, was revealed earlier this month. He paid £8,000 towards a planned conservatory at 4pm on February 21. However, the following day scores of customers, apart from Mr Freedman, receivreceived letters from Tujon saying it had ceased trading at 5pm on February 21.

Tujon was run by father and son Colin, 54, and Scott Dear, 20.

Southend Standard:

Out of pocket: Maureen Skidmore

The pair do not accept responsibility for the collapse of the firm, laying blame on a Chris Smith, who was registered as its sole director last month, just before the firm closed.

Scott resigned as a director on December 31, 2013, with Colin resigning on February 11 – the same day Mr Smith was appointed.

Neither the Echo or former clients have been able to contact with Mr Smith, 31, who gave an address in William Street, Reading, to Companies House.

Scott Dear told the Echo he had received no money from Tujon in the run-up to the closure.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree