Crowds snap up Boxing Day bargains...and they started queuing from 6am

Southend Standard: Shoppers in Basildon today Shoppers in Basildon today

CROWDS of shoppers armed with Christmas money flocked to high streets across south Essex to snap up Boxing Day bargains today.

More than 300 people were waiting for Next in the Victoria Shopping Centre, Southend, to open its doors at 6am today, with queues also reported outside its store in the Eastgate Shopping Centre, Basildon.

Queues were also reported outside Debenhams in the Basildon centre.

Zoe Gibbons, manager of the Southend store, said: “I came in at midday and it was chaos.

“There were customers everywhere and stock everywhere.

“It’s massive for us. 95 per cent of money taken on Boxing Day is from sale stock.

“People are always waiting outside.”

Huge red signs advertising discounts of up to 75 per cent were plastered across almost every window in shopping areas.

By midday, many shoppers could be seen clutching bags from high street chains.

New Look in Southend was offering 60 per cent off, Miss Selfridge 70 per cent and Blue Inc and Quiz 75 per cent.

Many retailers reported sluggish sales in the run up Christmas, with savvy shoppers waiting for last minute deals or doing their shopping on-line.

Stores hoping to recoup revenue attempted to tempt in customers with big discounts.

And many people appeared to have put their cold turkey and new gadgets aside to make the most of the savings.

Shirley Stone, assistant manager of Boots in Southend, said: “When I got here to open up there were lots of people outside.”

A bright, crisp day made for good shopping weather and burger vans and speciality sausage stalls in Southend High Street added to the atmosphere.

A pair of performers dressed in a lion and an elephant costume entertained shoppers by playing the drums in the recently vacated H&M store at the northern end of the street.

Mike Horton, of the Eastgate Shopping Centre, said: “It has picked up, it has gathered momentum throughout the morning and it looks like we will have a busy day by the end of it.

“The sales period is extremely important to retailers.

“We started opening on Boxing Day about a dozen years ago and it has been getting busier and busier every year.

“It’s an acceptable part of the holiday season now.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:50pm Thu 26 Dec 13

Thorp55 says...

Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told
if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.
Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family. Thorp55

6:19pm Thu 26 Dec 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Thorp55 wrote:
Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told
if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.
so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade.
[quote][p][bold]Thorp55[/bold] wrote: Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.[/p][/quote]so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade. DogsMessInLeigh

7:26pm Thu 26 Dec 13

emcee says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Thorp55 wrote:
Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told
if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.
so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade.
Still does not alter the fact that people must lead very dull lives when shopping comes above all else. Still, everyone to their own.
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thorp55[/bold] wrote: Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.[/p][/quote]so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade.[/p][/quote]Still does not alter the fact that people must lead very dull lives when shopping comes above all else. Still, everyone to their own. emcee

8:35pm Thu 26 Dec 13

Leon__ says...

Symptom of depression, addiction to the momentary rush of feel-good chemicals released when acquiring and spending. Wears off quickly, replaced by misery when bank or credit card statement is issued, or payday loan interest rate of a 1000 per cent is noticed. To anyone with spare cash: spend it on nutritious non-fattening food and quality cookware, not tat that you'll use for 5 minutes or some mobile gadget that you don't really need, will be superseded in 6 months and then collect dust.
Symptom of depression, addiction to the momentary rush of feel-good chemicals released when acquiring and spending. Wears off quickly, replaced by misery when bank or credit card statement is issued, or payday loan interest rate of a 1000 per cent is noticed. To anyone with spare cash: spend it on nutritious non-fattening food and quality cookware, not tat that you'll use for 5 minutes or some mobile gadget that you don't really need, will be superseded in 6 months and then collect dust. Leon__

8:44pm Thu 26 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

emcee wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Thorp55 wrote:
Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told
if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.
so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade.
Still does not alter the fact that people must lead very dull lives when shopping comes above all else. Still, everyone to their own.
brother can you spare a life??
[quote][p][bold]emcee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thorp55[/bold] wrote: Hope some shoppers spare a thought for sales assistants who have to give up their family Boxing Day whether they like it or not.We are told if you don't want the job someone else will.shops didn't open on Boxing Day when I joined the company.cant believe so many people can't go a day without looking at sale stuff! most of which is tat?we have people in our small town shop just meandering , obviously they can't bear to stay in with the family.[/p][/quote]so what..? shops are open 7 days a week now inc Bank Holidays...if they are not open they will be loosing out on trade.[/p][/quote]Still does not alter the fact that people must lead very dull lives when shopping comes above all else. Still, everyone to their own.[/p][/quote]brother can you spare a life?? profondo asbo

9:47pm Thu 26 Dec 13

echoforum says...

Yes,A quick trip up and down Southend High St revealed what I had suspected: that the very items I didn't want on Xmas Eve are still available on Boxing Day but slightly cheaper.
Yes,A quick trip up and down Southend High St revealed what I had suspected: that the very items I didn't want on Xmas Eve are still available on Boxing Day but slightly cheaper. echoforum

10:49am Fri 27 Dec 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

so all those against shops opening on Boxing day because people had to work never went out of the house..didn't pop down to the local shop for milk, didn't stop at a fuel station didn't go or do anything that would cause others to go to work on that day then..?
so all those against shops opening on Boxing day because people had to work never went out of the house..didn't pop down to the local shop for milk, didn't stop at a fuel station didn't go or do anything that would cause others to go to work on that day then..? DogsMessInLeigh

1:10pm Fri 27 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal....
I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal.... Nowthatsworthknowing

3:50pm Fri 27 Dec 13

Southchurch Steve says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal....
How very sad.
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal....[/p][/quote]How very sad. Southchurch Steve

4:15pm Fri 27 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Southchurch Steve wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal....
How very sad.
The definition of SAD is queueing outside a shop in Basildonia....
[quote][p][bold]Southchurch Steve[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: I did most of my sales shopping on line, Christmas day, as did millions of other shoppers, I demand at least a 50% discount, as on line you can shop in any land thats offering a good deal....[/p][/quote]How very sad.[/p][/quote]The definition of SAD is queueing outside a shop in Basildonia.... Nowthatsworthknowing

7:23pm Fri 27 Dec 13

InTheKnowOk says...

it would have to be some mega bargain to get me out of my pit on boxing day!
it would have to be some mega bargain to get me out of my pit on boxing day! InTheKnowOk

4:51pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Letmetryagain says...

I was watching a news item on Selfridges sale.

When the doors opened and the masses flooded in, virtually all of them "looked" to be Chinese or Oriental.
I was watching a news item on Selfridges sale. When the doors opened and the masses flooded in, virtually all of them "looked" to be Chinese or Oriental. Letmetryagain

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree