Christmas is a normal working day for us

Southend Standard: Christmas is a normal working day for us Christmas is a normal working day for us

WHILE most of us are watching the Queen's Speech, the Doctor Who Christmas special or tucking into our turkey but for some, it is a normal working day.

We all take it for granted that help is available for us 24 hours a days seven days a week, even on December 25.

But behind the uniform of these dedicated people, there are real people – whose time with their family is often postponed.

Dr Caroline Howard, is the consultant in charge of all others at Southend Hospital’s A&E department.

She has been a doctor since 1996. This year she is working on Boxing Day, and has worked many times on Christmas Day and one year worked on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.

The Hockley resident said: “Essentially the rota runs over Christmas Day and New Years Day which are just normal days for us.

“We work a six hour shift in the hospital but from 8am one morning until 8am the next we are on call and will come in for any trauma calls or anything that needs clinical advice or input.”

But she is relaxed about the situation: “It’s an accepted part of my life that I’m going to have my fair share of working over Christmas Day or New Year’s Eve, I’ve got used to it,” she said.

“My husband is very supportive of me, he accepts us moving the celebration a day or two. This Boxing Day we’ll have a meal together and it may be that we’re having the meal and I’ll get a call to leave, but he’s used to that.”

Carer Shaila Rashid helps make the lives of the people who live in Admiral Court Care Home in Manchester Drive, Leigh, a little bit special on Christmas Day.

Southend Standard:

Shaila, 48, from Thorpe Bay, said; “I worked last Christmas as well and really enjoyed it.

“We welcome in people’s families, have a traditional dinner, play games, it’s a wonderful family atmosphere.

“For us at Admiral it’s about every day though, not just Christmas day, we try to make every day special for our residents.

“I am really looking forward to the day though as it doesn’t feel like working. We don’t wear uniform, so we don’t stand out as staff, lots of families come to visit, we have mince pies and watch the Queen’s speech and we all feel like a big family.

“Some residents go home with their families but it’s important to be here for those who don’t have any family as well.

“Our activities coordinator plans events for the day and we have a big cinema room upstairs if people want to watch Christmas movies.

“My 25-year-old son Omar has volunteered to cook the dinner at home, he did it last year and had it ready for me when I got home.

“He has three sisters to cook for as well but he is really looking forward to it.”

And of course, for clergymen Christmas Day is one of the busiest of the year.

The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh, was ordained 24-years-ago.

Southend Standard:

He said: “The day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ and it is great to be involved in it.”

The season sees Rev Canon Lodge helping to put on carol and Christingle services at the church in the run up to the day, and then he is out early to lead two services on Christmas morning itself.

“A huge amount of work goes into making the services special for people, whether they come to church regularly or just once a year we want it to be a special time for them.

“Christmas is very much about family, it’s lovely to be able to be a part of many family’s celebrations.

“It’s been a bit of a sacrifice for my family for about 20 years or so my children never saw me in the morning as I’m off taking services.

“But for me it’s lovely to share services with other families and then come back to mine and spend time with them, there’s sort of a double joy of that.”

Comments (42)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:12pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Err, Xmas day is not christs birthday, the Roman Emperor Constantine changed the date of Xmas from late spring/early summer to mid winter in the 4th century - we don't know the exact date when it was in spring/summer but it’s almost certainly arbitrary anyway cos there is no mention of Jesus birthday until the 2nd Century, in fact there is no mention of Jesus or any of the "biblical" events anywhere until at least 70 AD despite the fact that early Egyptian, Roman and Jewish historians were prolific record keepers - most of the bible was written in the late 1st / early 2nd century so nothing in the bible could have been written down by any eye witnesses.
.
Apparently Constantine was the first christian Emperor but he didn’t "see the light", it was purely pragmatic because he realised he couldn‘t stop christianity becoming the dominant religion because it was the only one offering an after-life - very appealing to your average 4th century Roman. Later, Constantine tried to make christianity the official religion of the Empire but the wild northern tribes - like us and the Germans - wouldn’t co-operate, we liked our traditional mid-winter pagan feasts, so Constantine decreed that Xmas should be moved to mid-winter in the hope that we would amalgamate christianity into our pagan festivals and eventually it might become dominant.
.
Constantine was half right, christianity did become dominant but now, as I've been telling the kids, hardly anything that we associate with Xmas is christian. The date is wrong for a start. And Santa Claus, Xmas trees, presents, cards, Yule logs, holly and ivy, mistletoe and loads more is either traditional pagan or Victorian invention, not christian. Funny old life isn't it but then religion is a load of old hogwash anyway, if the bible really was the word of a god who knows everything how come everything it says about the earth and the cosmos is plain wrong?
Err, Xmas day is not christs birthday, the Roman Emperor Constantine changed the date of Xmas from late spring/early summer to mid winter in the 4th century - we don't know the exact date when it was in spring/summer but it’s almost certainly arbitrary anyway cos there is no mention of Jesus birthday until the 2nd Century, in fact there is no mention of Jesus or any of the "biblical" events anywhere until at least 70 AD despite the fact that early Egyptian, Roman and Jewish historians were prolific record keepers - most of the bible was written in the late 1st / early 2nd century so nothing in the bible could have been written down by any eye witnesses. . Apparently Constantine was the first christian Emperor but he didn’t "see the light", it was purely pragmatic because he realised he couldn‘t stop christianity becoming the dominant religion because it was the only one offering an after-life - very appealing to your average 4th century Roman. Later, Constantine tried to make christianity the official religion of the Empire but the wild northern tribes - like us and the Germans - wouldn’t co-operate, we liked our traditional mid-winter pagan feasts, so Constantine decreed that Xmas should be moved to mid-winter in the hope that we would amalgamate christianity into our pagan festivals and eventually it might become dominant. . Constantine was half right, christianity did become dominant but now, as I've been telling the kids, hardly anything that we associate with Xmas is christian. The date is wrong for a start. And Santa Claus, Xmas trees, presents, cards, Yule logs, holly and ivy, mistletoe and loads more is either traditional pagan or Victorian invention, not christian. Funny old life isn't it but then religion is a load of old hogwash anyway, if the bible really was the word of a god who knows everything how come everything it says about the earth and the cosmos is plain wrong? Fred the Phoenix

5:58pm Sat 21 Dec 13

andyh says...

… and I bet you also tell the kids there's no Santa Claus or fairies …
… and I bet you also tell the kids there's no Santa Claus or fairies … andyh

6:28pm Sat 21 Dec 13

maddriver says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Err, Xmas day is not christs birthday, the Roman Emperor Constantine changed the date of Xmas from late spring/early summer to mid winter in the 4th century - we don't know the exact date when it was in spring/summer but it’s almost certainly arbitrary anyway cos there is no mention of Jesus birthday until the 2nd Century, in fact there is no mention of Jesus or any of the "biblical" events anywhere until at least 70 AD despite the fact that early Egyptian, Roman and Jewish historians were prolific record keepers - most of the bible was written in the late 1st / early 2nd century so nothing in the bible could have been written down by any eye witnesses.
.
Apparently Constantine was the first christian Emperor but he didn’t "see the light", it was purely pragmatic because he realised he couldn‘t stop christianity becoming the dominant religion because it was the only one offering an after-life - very appealing to your average 4th century Roman. Later, Constantine tried to make christianity the official religion of the Empire but the wild northern tribes - like us and the Germans - wouldn’t co-operate, we liked our traditional mid-winter pagan feasts, so Constantine decreed that Xmas should be moved to mid-winter in the hope that we would amalgamate christianity into our pagan festivals and eventually it might become dominant.
.
Constantine was half right, christianity did become dominant but now, as I've been telling the kids, hardly anything that we associate with Xmas is christian. The date is wrong for a start. And Santa Claus, Xmas trees, presents, cards, Yule logs, holly and ivy, mistletoe and loads more is either traditional pagan or Victorian invention, not christian. Funny old life isn't it but then religion is a load of old hogwash anyway, if the bible really was the word of a god who knows everything how come everything it says about the earth and the cosmos is plain wrong?
There is nothing in this article which says that this is the birthday of Christ - December 25th is the day on which the fact of His birth is celebrated. All the rest of your rant is copied from various other sources and if you don't like the event then you are quite at liberty to ignore it. Perhaps you and all those others who make the same comments year on year ought to realise that we are all aware of the facts of Christmas and don't need someone to tell us what we already know.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Err, Xmas day is not christs birthday, the Roman Emperor Constantine changed the date of Xmas from late spring/early summer to mid winter in the 4th century - we don't know the exact date when it was in spring/summer but it’s almost certainly arbitrary anyway cos there is no mention of Jesus birthday until the 2nd Century, in fact there is no mention of Jesus or any of the "biblical" events anywhere until at least 70 AD despite the fact that early Egyptian, Roman and Jewish historians were prolific record keepers - most of the bible was written in the late 1st / early 2nd century so nothing in the bible could have been written down by any eye witnesses. . Apparently Constantine was the first christian Emperor but he didn’t "see the light", it was purely pragmatic because he realised he couldn‘t stop christianity becoming the dominant religion because it was the only one offering an after-life - very appealing to your average 4th century Roman. Later, Constantine tried to make christianity the official religion of the Empire but the wild northern tribes - like us and the Germans - wouldn’t co-operate, we liked our traditional mid-winter pagan feasts, so Constantine decreed that Xmas should be moved to mid-winter in the hope that we would amalgamate christianity into our pagan festivals and eventually it might become dominant. . Constantine was half right, christianity did become dominant but now, as I've been telling the kids, hardly anything that we associate with Xmas is christian. The date is wrong for a start. And Santa Claus, Xmas trees, presents, cards, Yule logs, holly and ivy, mistletoe and loads more is either traditional pagan or Victorian invention, not christian. Funny old life isn't it but then religion is a load of old hogwash anyway, if the bible really was the word of a god who knows everything how come everything it says about the earth and the cosmos is plain wrong?[/p][/quote]There is nothing in this article which says that this is the birthday of Christ - December 25th is the day on which the fact of His birth is celebrated. All the rest of your rant is copied from various other sources and if you don't like the event then you are quite at liberty to ignore it. Perhaps you and all those others who make the same comments year on year ought to realise that we are all aware of the facts of Christmas and don't need someone to tell us what we already know. maddriver

7:11pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad. Fred the Phoenix

8:05pm Sat 21 Dec 13

maddriver says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe. maddriver

8:19pm Sat 21 Dec 13

Nebs says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Blessed are the meek.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]Blessed are the meek. Nebs

10:17pm Sat 21 Dec 13

danger2013 says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all. danger2013

10:58pm Sat 21 Dec 13

InTheKnowOk says...

danger2013 wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all.
It's non believers who cause conflict ... You don't get a bunch of Christians spilling out of Church knocking seven bells out of someone do you ..
[quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all.[/p][/quote]It's non believers who cause conflict ... You don't get a bunch of Christians spilling out of Church knocking seven bells out of someone do you .. InTheKnowOk

4:58am Sun 22 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

We three Kings of Big Rayleigh Mount
Made our fortune from those who cant count
Known as bankers throughout this land
The pots of money, simply fell in my hand
a landlord now, with many a house
as it's Christmas, crack open the Grouse
We three Kings of Big Rayleigh Mount Made our fortune from those who cant count Known as bankers throughout this land The pots of money, simply fell in my hand a landlord now, with many a house as it's Christmas, crack open the Grouse Nowthatsworthknowing

11:19am Sun 22 Dec 13

heartbeat says...

maddriver wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
"but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe."

I object to kids being forced to adopt religious teachings as if they were facts without first being able to make up their own minds. Some religions use no end of emotional blackmail and ostracise kids who turn out as "non-believers" (i.e. kids who have a mind of their own). I therefore often DO have a problem with "those who believe" if they are foisting it upon their kids and messing up their brains. In other subjects kids are taught to think for themselves but with religion it's a completely different story. No thinking for yourself allowed - just accept whatever fairy tales you are told!
[quote][p][bold]maddriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.[/p][/quote]"but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe." I object to kids being forced to adopt religious teachings as if they were facts without first being able to make up their own minds. Some religions use no end of emotional blackmail and ostracise kids who turn out as "non-believers" (i.e. kids who have a mind of their own). I therefore often DO have a problem with "those who believe" if they are foisting it upon their kids and messing up their brains. In other subjects kids are taught to think for themselves but with religion it's a completely different story. No thinking for yourself allowed - just accept whatever fairy tales you are told! heartbeat

11:33am Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

maddriver wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
Sorry but you are taking nonsense. There is no mention of Jesus anywhere until at least 70 years after his supposed death and most of the earliest references to him are from the 2nd century but we don't even have any of those original documents, only copies of those supposed 2nd century writings made in the 4th century. Even more damning is that no Jewish, Roman, Greek or Egyptian historians or chroniclers mentions any of the "biblical" events despite the fact that they were all prolific record keepers.
[quote][p][bold]maddriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.[/p][/quote]Sorry but you are taking nonsense. There is no mention of Jesus anywhere until at least 70 years after his supposed death and most of the earliest references to him are from the 2nd century but we don't even have any of those original documents, only copies of those supposed 2nd century writings made in the 4th century. Even more damning is that no Jewish, Roman, Greek or Egyptian historians or chroniclers mentions any of the "biblical" events despite the fact that they were all prolific record keepers. Fred the Phoenix

11:42am Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

InTheKnowOk wrote:
danger2013 wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all.
It's non believers who cause conflict ... You don't get a bunch of Christians spilling out of Church knocking seven bells out of someone do you ..
What absolute total nonsense. Religion has caused more deaths and suffering than almost anything else and it still is whereas no atheist has ever killed anyone for their beliefs. Until fairly recently if you didn't believe in god you were tortured, hung or burnt and in some parts of the world you still are whereas no atheist has ever used anything stronger than logic, reason and evidence.
[quote][p][bold]InTheKnowOk[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]danger2013[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]Couldnt agree more. Religion is for the weak. Who needs to live by the codes and conducts of a religion to get on in life? and why would anyone need to believe in religion to be happy and content?. It causes all sorts of problems in the world most wars are started because of religion. Religion is there to divide us and cause conflict. If you have your own mind stay away from religion its no good. Also Christmas is just a commercial gimmick the majority of people who celebrate xmas are not religious at all.[/p][/quote]It's non believers who cause conflict ... You don't get a bunch of Christians spilling out of Church knocking seven bells out of someone do you ..[/p][/quote]What absolute total nonsense. Religion has caused more deaths and suffering than almost anything else and it still is whereas no atheist has ever killed anyone for their beliefs. Until fairly recently if you didn't believe in god you were tortured, hung or burnt and in some parts of the world you still are whereas no atheist has ever used anything stronger than logic, reason and evidence. Fred the Phoenix

12:14pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.
Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good. Fred the Phoenix

4:02pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Living the La Vida Legra says...

maddriver wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
Are you mad there is no such person as Jesus or god. Wake up you sheep
[quote][p][bold]maddriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.[/p][/quote]Are you mad there is no such person as Jesus or god. Wake up you sheep Living the La Vida Legra

5:26pm Sun 22 Dec 13

jayman says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
As an atheist, I can say with honesty that i do not care.
It's a good excuse to celebrate and have a good time with my family.

the true meaning of the pagan winter festival during the Xmas period..
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]As an atheist, I can say with honesty that i do not care. It's a good excuse to celebrate and have a good time with my family. the true meaning of the pagan winter festival during the Xmas period.. jayman

5:38pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Blimey! I actually agree with Jayman for once! Must be the Xmas spirit.
Blimey! I actually agree with Jayman for once! Must be the Xmas spirit. Fred the Phoenix

5:55pm Sun 22 Dec 13

maddriver says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
maddriver wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
Sorry but you are taking nonsense. There is no mention of Jesus anywhere until at least 70 years after his supposed death and most of the earliest references to him are from the 2nd century but we don't even have any of those original documents, only copies of those supposed 2nd century writings made in the 4th century. Even more damning is that no Jewish, Roman, Greek or Egyptian historians or chroniclers mentions any of the "biblical" events despite the fact that they were all prolific record keepers.
I am not talking nonsense - a lot of contemporary records show that Jesus was a teacher or rabbi and that he is recorded by Jewish and Roman records to have been crucified. There is little doubt that he existed and was a very great and powerful person - whether the biblical accounts of his ministry contain any truth is open to doubt, but the fact of his existence is not.
The fact of his birth is what Christians celebrate, not his actual birthday. I am not a believer in any religion, but there is no harm in it. Contrary to what some on here have stated, the only wars which have started for religious purposes are the Crusades and even the memory of an old git like me doesn't stretch back quite that far!
Surely the point is that if you don't believe you can do as I do and give and receive presents, drink a few, eat a lot of food and enjoy yourself without worrying whether or not the bloke in whose name it is done existed or not.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]maddriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.[/p][/quote]Sorry but you are taking nonsense. There is no mention of Jesus anywhere until at least 70 years after his supposed death and most of the earliest references to him are from the 2nd century but we don't even have any of those original documents, only copies of those supposed 2nd century writings made in the 4th century. Even more damning is that no Jewish, Roman, Greek or Egyptian historians or chroniclers mentions any of the "biblical" events despite the fact that they were all prolific record keepers.[/p][/quote]I am not talking nonsense - a lot of contemporary records show that Jesus was a teacher or rabbi and that he is recorded by Jewish and Roman records to have been crucified. There is little doubt that he existed and was a very great and powerful person - whether the biblical accounts of his ministry contain any truth is open to doubt, but the fact of his existence is not. The fact of his birth is what Christians celebrate, not his actual birthday. I am not a believer in any religion, but there is no harm in it. Contrary to what some on here have stated, the only wars which have started for religious purposes are the Crusades and even the memory of an old git like me doesn't stretch back quite that far! Surely the point is that if you don't believe you can do as I do and give and receive presents, drink a few, eat a lot of food and enjoy yourself without worrying whether or not the bloke in whose name it is done existed or not. maddriver

6:20pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

I am sorry maddriver but you ARE talking nonsense. Certain biased biblical scholars try and push such lies but proper independent historians are agreed that the the first definite reference to Jesus was a Roman chronicler who mentions Jesus being crucified seventy years after the event. There are other references but the proper historians are all agreed that they are forgeries added much later. Do the research.
.
And religion does no harm? Ha ha! The bible is full of lies and contradictions and it tells us not to question things, to believe with blind faith. And if the bible really was the word of an all knowing god why is everything it says about the earth and the cosmos plain wrong! And wars and damage? Are you joking? The inquisition, burning witches at the stake, the holocast, and half the wars on earth have had a religious element from the Spanish Armada to the American War of independence and almost every war fought in the middle east. Wake up man!
I am sorry maddriver but you ARE talking nonsense. Certain biased biblical scholars try and push such lies but proper independent historians are agreed that the the first definite reference to Jesus was a Roman chronicler who mentions Jesus being crucified seventy years after the event. There are other references but the proper historians are all agreed that they are forgeries added much later. Do the research. . And religion does no harm? Ha ha! The bible is full of lies and contradictions and it tells us not to question things, to believe with blind faith. And if the bible really was the word of an all knowing god why is everything it says about the earth and the cosmos plain wrong! And wars and damage? Are you joking? The inquisition, burning witches at the stake, the holocast, and half the wars on earth have had a religious element from the Spanish Armada to the American War of independence and almost every war fought in the middle east. Wake up man! Fred the Phoenix

6:21pm Sun 22 Dec 13

whataday says...

Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different
Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different whataday

6:30pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

there are those who worship god and there are those who worship the cannabis plant. i'll take the god fearers everyday...
there are those who worship god and there are those who worship the cannabis plant. i'll take the god fearers everyday... profondo asbo

6:37pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
I am sorry maddriver but you ARE talking nonsense. Certain biased biblical scholars try and push such lies but proper independent historians are agreed that the the first definite reference to Jesus was a Roman chronicler who mentions Jesus being crucified seventy years after the event. There are other references but the proper historians are all agreed that they are forgeries added much later. Do the research.
.
And religion does no harm? Ha ha! The bible is full of lies and contradictions and it tells us not to question things, to believe with blind faith. And if the bible really was the word of an all knowing god why is everything it says about the earth and the cosmos plain wrong! And wars and damage? Are you joking? The inquisition, burning witches at the stake, the holocast, and half the wars on earth have had a religious element from the Spanish Armada to the American War of independence and almost every war fought in the middle east. Wake up man!
semantics.

tribalism causes wars not religion.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: I am sorry maddriver but you ARE talking nonsense. Certain biased biblical scholars try and push such lies but proper independent historians are agreed that the the first definite reference to Jesus was a Roman chronicler who mentions Jesus being crucified seventy years after the event. There are other references but the proper historians are all agreed that they are forgeries added much later. Do the research. . And religion does no harm? Ha ha! The bible is full of lies and contradictions and it tells us not to question things, to believe with blind faith. And if the bible really was the word of an all knowing god why is everything it says about the earth and the cosmos plain wrong! And wars and damage? Are you joking? The inquisition, burning witches at the stake, the holocast, and half the wars on earth have had a religious element from the Spanish Armada to the American War of independence and almost every war fought in the middle east. Wake up man![/p][/quote]semantics. tribalism causes wars not religion. profondo asbo

6:48pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Living the La Vida Legra wrote:
maddriver wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday.
There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure.
The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday.
Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.
Are you mad there is no such person as Jesus or god. Wake up you sheep
blessed are the sheep. try educating yourself before posting your tripe.
[quote][p][bold]Living the La Vida Legra[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]maddriver[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]No it doesn't - as you quoted it is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, not his birthday. There is also no doubt that Jesus existed, his life is chronicled in other parts of the known world of the time. He is written about in Persian, Turkish, Syrian and Egyptian writings among others. He is also important in Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and other beliefs. Whether anyone believes in him as a deity is a matter of choice, but he is a provable historical figure. The real point here is that every year someone trots out the same old story, one which we all know and find unnecessary. Whether people choose to believe or not the occasion is one of celebrating a birth as an event and not an actual birthday. Whether religion is harmful or not is a matter for debate elsewhere, but as a non-religious person I have never found a problem with those who do believe.[/p][/quote]Are you mad there is no such person as Jesus or god. Wake up you sheep[/p][/quote]blessed are the sheep. try educating yourself before posting your tripe. profondo asbo

6:49pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

whataday wrote:
Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different
You are absolutely right but the only extremists are religious. You cannot call an atheist extreme in any sense because any atheist will produce evidence and if you don't believe the science you can test it whereas religion is all based on blind faith which does not have a jot of evidence and cannot be tested in any way but that doesn't stop the religious fanatics from insisting that their particular religion is right.
[quote][p][bold]whataday[/bold] wrote: Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different[/p][/quote]You are absolutely right but the only extremists are religious. You cannot call an atheist extreme in any sense because any atheist will produce evidence and if you don't believe the science you can test it whereas religion is all based on blind faith which does not have a jot of evidence and cannot be tested in any way but that doesn't stop the religious fanatics from insisting that their particular religion is right. Fred the Phoenix

6:51pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Do enlighten us Asbo, what is your evidence for god?
Do enlighten us Asbo, what is your evidence for god? Fred the Phoenix

6:53pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.
we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.[/p][/quote]we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod. profondo asbo

7:00pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
whataday wrote:
Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different
You are absolutely right but the only extremists are religious. You cannot call an atheist extreme in any sense because any atheist will produce evidence and if you don't believe the science you can test it whereas religion is all based on blind faith which does not have a jot of evidence and cannot be tested in any way but that doesn't stop the religious fanatics from insisting that their particular religion is right.
rubbish religion is a flag of convenience. it is tribalism. sunnis vs shi'ites. hutus vs tutsis.
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whataday[/bold] wrote: Its not religion that causes the problems its extremists who think they are the only ones who are right. We all have the right to believe in what we want but should respect other people my be believe in something different[/p][/quote]You are absolutely right but the only extremists are religious. You cannot call an atheist extreme in any sense because any atheist will produce evidence and if you don't believe the science you can test it whereas religion is all based on blind faith which does not have a jot of evidence and cannot be tested in any way but that doesn't stop the religious fanatics from insisting that their particular religion is right.[/p][/quote]rubbish religion is a flag of convenience. it is tribalism. sunnis vs shi'ites. hutus vs tutsis. profondo asbo

7:04pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

profondo asbo wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.
we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod.
Shouldn't that be biblical fantasy dress party? You know it's a funny thing but none of the local historians mentions Herod's slaughter of the innocents or Moses flight from Egypt or Jesus being welcomed as the King of Jerusalem or any of a zillion other things in the bible despite the fact that they were prolific record keepers. You'd have to be a bit daft not to smell a rat wouldn't you?
[quote][p][bold]profondo asbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.[/p][/quote]we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod.[/p][/quote]Shouldn't that be biblical fantasy dress party? You know it's a funny thing but none of the local historians mentions Herod's slaughter of the innocents or Moses flight from Egypt or Jesus being welcomed as the King of Jerusalem or any of a zillion other things in the bible despite the fact that they were prolific record keepers. You'd have to be a bit daft not to smell a rat wouldn't you? Fred the Phoenix

7:23pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
profondo asbo wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.
we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod.
Shouldn't that be biblical fantasy dress party? You know it's a funny thing but none of the local historians mentions Herod's slaughter of the innocents or Moses flight from Egypt or Jesus being welcomed as the King of Jerusalem or any of a zillion other things in the bible despite the fact that they were prolific record keepers. You'd have to be a bit daft not to smell a rat wouldn't you?
a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. now you can close the wikipedia tab...
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]profondo asbo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Should add that atheism is not a belief, it is the absence of belief. The big difference between science and religion is that if you don't believe in science then you can test it to see if it is true whereas religion says you must believe in it in the complete absence of evidence. As Bertrand Russell said "Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines." and it is. As the national social attitudes surveys show us the number of christians is halving every generation. Good.[/p][/quote]we're having an biblical fancy dress party chez asbo tomorrow. unbelievers welcome... thinking you'd be perfect as the evil serpent? actually second thoughts make that onan or herod.[/p][/quote]Shouldn't that be biblical fantasy dress party? You know it's a funny thing but none of the local historians mentions Herod's slaughter of the innocents or Moses flight from Egypt or Jesus being welcomed as the King of Jerusalem or any of a zillion other things in the bible despite the fact that they were prolific record keepers. You'd have to be a bit daft not to smell a rat wouldn't you?[/p][/quote]a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. now you can close the wikipedia tab... profondo asbo

7:25pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Too true Asbo, but I haven't looked any of this up, I have known it for years.
Too true Asbo, but I haven't looked any of this up, I have known it for years. Fred the Phoenix

7:32pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Too true Asbo, but I haven't looked any of this up, I have known it for years.
do the christians know you're posting.... the phoenix might have to go down in flames?
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Too true Asbo, but I haven't looked any of this up, I have known it for years.[/p][/quote]do the christians know you're posting.... the phoenix might have to go down in flames? profondo asbo

7:35pm Sun 22 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

posting..sorry i meant blaspheming?
posting..sorry i meant blaspheming? profondo asbo

7:38pm Sun 22 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Blasphemy is defending the indefensible.
Blasphemy is defending the indefensible. Fred the Phoenix

10:52pm Sun 22 Dec 13

nataliedawn68 says...

Nebs wrote:
Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against.
.
And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.
Blessed are the meek.
Blessed are the meek

Well all I can think about now is The Life Of Brian! Who threw that?!
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: Er, yes it does maddriver, it says "The Rev Canon Mike Lodge, rector of the Holy Trinity Church in Rayleigh ... said the day is a great celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ ". Err no it isn't. Well it might be if such a person ever existed which is doubtful but it's 365 to 1 against. . And of course I believe in Santa andyh, but that's fun for the kids whereas religion is harmful, it teaches people not to think and that is baaaad.[/p][/quote]Blessed are the meek.[/p][/quote]Blessed are the meek Well all I can think about now is The Life Of Brian! Who threw that?! nataliedawn68

11:05pm Sun 22 Dec 13

nataliedawn68 says...

So going back to the original story......fingers crossed there's a staff change in A&E if I need them this christmas - last time I went there I was thrown back to my GP as I was daft enough to mention that I had seen them the day previous about the same complaint. Having been advised to go straight to A&E if symptoms continued. I did, and they promptly handed me back to my GP. Within 3 hours I was on the ward.... I'm not disputing the hours etc that they work but it was their choice, nobody made them choose that career path. Fair play to them, but was always their choice.
So going back to the original story......fingers crossed there's a staff change in A&E if I need them this christmas - last time I went there I was thrown back to my GP as I was daft enough to mention that I had seen them the day previous about the same complaint. Having been advised to go straight to A&E if symptoms continued. I did, and they promptly handed me back to my GP. Within 3 hours I was on the ward.... I'm not disputing the hours etc that they work but it was their choice, nobody made them choose that career path. Fair play to them, but was always their choice. nataliedawn68

9:26am Mon 23 Dec 13

maddriver says...

Oh well, I wish all those who have to work over Christmas all the best and thanks for doing a job for all of us. For the rest of you, atheists, religious zealots of any persuasion, agnostics or plain 'don't cares' may you all enjoy your Christmas, either in church or in a bottle.
Oh well, I wish all those who have to work over Christmas all the best and thanks for doing a job for all of us. For the rest of you, atheists, religious zealots of any persuasion, agnostics or plain 'don't cares' may you all enjoy your Christmas, either in church or in a bottle. maddriver

10:52am Mon 23 Dec 13

Vange Resident says...

Happy Jesus Day!
Happy Jesus Day! Vange Resident

1:06pm Mon 23 Dec 13

Fred the Phoenix says...

Vange Resident wrote:
Happy Jesus Day!
B*ll*x
[quote][p][bold]Vange Resident[/bold] wrote: Happy Jesus Day![/p][/quote]B*ll*x Fred the Phoenix

8:18pm Mon 23 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

Fred the Phoenix wrote:
Vange Resident wrote:
Happy Jesus Day!
B*ll*x
haven't you heard...man will live forever more because of christmas day?
[quote][p][bold]Fred the Phoenix[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Vange Resident[/bold] wrote: Happy Jesus Day![/p][/quote]B*ll*x[/p][/quote]haven't you heard...man will live forever more because of christmas day? profondo asbo

10:18pm Mon 23 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

brother can you spare some humbug...oh yes you've got loads?
brother can you spare some humbug...oh yes you've got loads? profondo asbo

10:45pm Mon 23 Dec 13

cgb says...

Nataliedawn68

Just because you were told go to A&E if it's worse does not make that the correct course of action. Clearly as your GP had seen you the day before and could reassess you again and have a continuity of care and assess deterioration that indeed was the right person to see you and why you could get to a ward within 3 hours- quicker than via A&E! We'll done on contradicting your point!
Nataliedawn68 Just because you were told go to A&E if it's worse does not make that the correct course of action. Clearly as your GP had seen you the day before and could reassess you again and have a continuity of care and assess deterioration that indeed was the right person to see you and why you could get to a ward within 3 hours- quicker than via A&E! We'll done on contradicting your point! cgb

12:21am Thu 26 Dec 13

Nebs says...

cgb wrote:
Nataliedawn68

Just because you were told go to A&E if it's worse does not make that the correct course of action. Clearly as your GP had seen you the day before and could reassess you again and have a continuity of care and assess deterioration that indeed was the right person to see you and why you could get to a ward within 3 hours- quicker than via A&E! We'll done on contradicting your point!
That is hardly the patients fault. If the GP says go to A and E if it gets worse, and it gets worse, you follow instructions and go to A and E.
[quote][p][bold]cgb[/bold] wrote: Nataliedawn68 Just because you were told go to A&E if it's worse does not make that the correct course of action. Clearly as your GP had seen you the day before and could reassess you again and have a continuity of care and assess deterioration that indeed was the right person to see you and why you could get to a ward within 3 hours- quicker than via A&E! We'll done on contradicting your point![/p][/quote]That is hardly the patients fault. If the GP says go to A and E if it gets worse, and it gets worse, you follow instructions and go to A and E. Nebs

10:43am Sat 4 Jan 14

cgb says...

And it isn't A&E fault when they direct you to the right service either if you shouldn't be there
And it isn't A&E fault when they direct you to the right service either if you shouldn't be there cgb

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree