My father’s seven weeks of hell in Basildon Hospital

Southend Standard: Ron Jee Ron Jee

THE daughter of a man who has been in Basildon Hospital for almost seven weeks has described his stay there as an “absolute nightmare”.

Christine Coleman, 52, and her family say they are at their “wits’ end” because of the alleged lack of care at the hospital.

Her father Ron Jee, 80, from Grays, who worked for Thurrock Council for 45 years, first had a stroke six years ago, and was taken into the hospital after suffering another one in June.

His worried daughter Christine said her father has been left in tears because he is so distressed and cannot communicate properly with staff after the most recent stroke caused him to lose his voice.

She said: “It’s not the nursing or medical staff I get angry with, it’s the clinical support workers. They should be doing all the everyday care and they aren’t doing it.

“It’s just been an absolute nightmare. I don’t want his last weeks to be in this hospital with how it’s been. He’s not getting the help or care he needs.

“He is suffering and I just worry what’s happening when we’re not there. He cries when we walk in because something’s happened.”

Mrs Coleman, of Hall Road, Aveley, claimed there were a catalogue of incidents involving her father since he was admitted. They include: l Staff allegedly saying they can’t hear Mr Jee or understand him, so they can’t help him.

  • He and other patients being told to go to the toilet in their beds by clinical support workers.
  • No fluids being given to him for more than six hours.
  • He’s suffered two falls from a hospital chair, despite the family being told he would receive one- to-one care.
  • The call button being left unplugged, or on the floor.
  • Beds not being changed despite being soaked with urine and covered in faeces.

Mrs Coleman has met with senior staff on three occasions about her father’s care, but said she has no confidence in the hospital.

A Basildon Hospital spokeswoman said: “We have met with Mr Jee’s family to discuss their concerns.

“Where the care provided to Mr Jee was not to the standard we would expect, we have apologised to his family and have put measures in place to ensure these are not repeated.

“The trust is committed to improving patient care and to listening and learning from mistakes. We encourage any relative who has concerns about care to speak with a member of staff.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:11am Sun 28 Jul 13

ThurrockResident says...

My elderly father died at Basildon Hospital in 2010 and I see nothing has changed. I wouldn't treat an animal the way he was treated. Basildon Hospital is the Hospital of Death and nothing has changed.
My elderly father died at Basildon Hospital in 2010 and I see nothing has changed. I wouldn't treat an animal the way he was treated. Basildon Hospital is the Hospital of Death and nothing has changed. ThurrockResident

2:39pm Sun 28 Jul 13

Hickey says...

Basildon Hospital receives thousands of people. The majority get good care, yet the American owned Echo in the guise of a caring local newspaper which in reality if a voice for capitalist propaganda fingers out the few bad stories. Why? Because it is in the interests of its owners that the NHS is privatised. The rich owners no the NHS has massive support from the general public so they know they and their political puppets cannot attack from the front, so they use rearguard actions using multiple stories like this repeated with clones stories by every other national newspaper and media outlet to slowly, but very surely reform public opinion against the NHS. I am saddened to hear about Mr. Ron Jee, but think for not one minute that the Echo reports his plight out of sympathy.
Basildon Hospital receives thousands of people. The majority get good care, yet the American owned Echo in the guise of a caring local newspaper which in reality if a voice for capitalist propaganda fingers out the few bad stories. Why? Because it is in the interests of its owners that the NHS is privatised. The rich owners no the NHS has massive support from the general public so they know they and their political puppets cannot attack from the front, so they use rearguard actions using multiple stories like this repeated with clones stories by every other national newspaper and media outlet to slowly, but very surely reform public opinion against the NHS. I am saddened to hear about Mr. Ron Jee, but think for not one minute that the Echo reports his plight out of sympathy. Hickey

3:44pm Sun 28 Jul 13

LdV says...

@HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense.
If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark?
Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator?

Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness.
All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out.
How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place.
...
@HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense. If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark? Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator? Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness. All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out. How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place. ... LdV

4:48pm Sun 28 Jul 13

runwellian says...

This family should complain to the CQC
Enquiries
This mail will ensure your message is passed on!


... and the manager of this particular team should be sacked!
The buck stops with management and if they are not aware of what their team are doing, the shouldn't be in the job in the first place.

Whilst they say the nursing team were great, they were not, if they were aware of what was going on and didn't demand that something was done about it, they are as guilty as the rest!
This family should complain to the CQC Enquiries This mail will ensure your message is passed on! ... and the manager of this particular team should be sacked! The buck stops with management and if they are not aware of what their team are doing, the shouldn't be in the job in the first place. Whilst they say the nursing team were great, they were not, if they were aware of what was going on and didn't demand that something was done about it, they are as guilty as the rest! runwellian

5:11pm Sun 28 Jul 13

Lordmountfield says...

There is always BUPA
There is always BUPA Lordmountfield

6:32pm Sun 28 Jul 13

ThurrockResident says...

LdV wrote:
@HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense.
If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark?
Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator?

Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness.
All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out.
How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place.
...
Exactly!
[quote][p][bold]LdV[/bold] wrote: @HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense. If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark? Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator? Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness. All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out. How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place. ...[/p][/quote]Exactly! ThurrockResident

6:33pm Sun 28 Jul 13

ThurrockResident says...

Lordmountfield wrote:
There is always BUPA
Exactly! If we have the money otherwise it's let's starve them and let them crap in their beds!
[quote][p][bold]Lordmountfield[/bold] wrote: There is always BUPA[/p][/quote]Exactly! If we have the money otherwise it's let's starve them and let them crap in their beds! ThurrockResident

5:53am Mon 29 Jul 13

Hickey says...

LdV wrote:
@HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense.
If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark?
Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator?

Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness.
All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out.
How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place.
...
If I knew anyone who was mistreated or abused I would seek justice for that person. I would not want it to be kept in the dark. That is why I speak out about the abuse by the rich media running Anti-NHS stories in order to reform public opinion against the NHS. I do not consider myself 'lucky' to be able to express my view, that is a surfs attitude. To express my thought is my human right, no other humans gift.
[quote][p][bold]LdV[/bold] wrote: @HICKEY - THAT IS absolute misguided nonsense. If God forbid you or those you love and care for, were mistreated or abused in some way by institution or individual - would you want it kept in the dark? Would YOU want to be silenced for the sake of the perpetrator? Abuse in all its forms thrives on silence and darkness. All institutions and corporations chase agendas, but things only ever change because people speak out. How lucky you are to be free to express your opinion here in the first place. ...[/p][/quote]If I knew anyone who was mistreated or abused I would seek justice for that person. I would not want it to be kept in the dark. That is why I speak out about the abuse by the rich media running Anti-NHS stories in order to reform public opinion against the NHS. I do not consider myself 'lucky' to be able to express my view, that is a surfs attitude. To express my thought is my human right, no other humans gift. Hickey

4:25pm Mon 29 Jul 13

sprinkles13 says...

MY father and my friend have both had spells in Basildon Hospital recently including in 3 months in the stroke ward and they and their family could not fault the service they received - why is it so different for some patients than others especially in the same ward. If I had found the bed in such a state I would not have left the hospital without speaking to the chief executive even if it meant I was arrested. As it was everything was perfect.
MY father and my friend have both had spells in Basildon Hospital recently including in 3 months in the stroke ward and they and their family could not fault the service they received - why is it so different for some patients than others especially in the same ward. If I had found the bed in such a state I would not have left the hospital without speaking to the chief executive even if it meant I was arrested. As it was everything was perfect. sprinkles13

4:43pm Tue 30 Jul 13

Mikkel1 says...

DISGUSTING Lack of treatment, and Basildon is NOT the only one showing little care, while Managers are STILL getting massive salaries for doing sweet Nothing.

I know from experience elsewhere just over 2 years ago, when a Loved one died.
DISGUSTING Lack of treatment, and Basildon is NOT the only one showing little care, while Managers are STILL getting massive salaries for doing sweet Nothing. I know from experience elsewhere just over 2 years ago, when a Loved one died. Mikkel1

6:22pm Thu 1 Aug 13

jvoodoo says...

Ok, lets get a few things sorted here, the vast majority of patients that are 'nursed' at Basildon Hospital seem to have had a good level of care otherwise stories/complaints like this would dominate the national papers constantly. General observations i have made from my experience of Basildon they seem to have management staff with no nursing experience, (this is where budgets come first etc...) you have matrons who like to dictate what needs to be done instead of rolling up their sleeves and getting stuck in where their help is visually needed and like to wander the hospital instead, looking important. As for Poor Ronald, i can only sympathise, however if this was my father, and his experience is as devastating as you claim there would be no need for the nhs to provide a 1 to 1 service as I would not leave his side. I would see it as my responsibility to ensure he receives the treatment he deserves. After all, we all know the NHS struggles financially, Nurses( all grades) do a good job and are under pressure, but as long as the government continue to pressure each and every worker in the hospitals to do more it's obvious that some times families need to take some responsibility for their relatives. After all, it is not illegal to provide some hands on care for your loved one. Maybe if staff did not have to keep going to every patient asking if they are comfortable and entering the answers on a yet another tick box piece of paper, there may be time for more hands on care. I have so much to say, but i think this is enough for now.
Ok, lets get a few things sorted here, the vast majority of patients that are 'nursed' at Basildon Hospital seem to have had a good level of care otherwise stories/complaints like this would dominate the national papers constantly. General observations i have made from my experience of Basildon they seem to have management staff with no nursing experience, (this is where budgets come first etc...) you have matrons who like to dictate what needs to be done instead of rolling up their sleeves and getting stuck in where their help is visually needed and like to wander the hospital instead, looking important. As for Poor Ronald, i can only sympathise, however if this was my father, and his experience is as devastating as you claim there would be no need for the nhs to provide a 1 to 1 service as I would not leave his side. I would see it as my responsibility to ensure he receives the treatment he deserves. After all, we all know the NHS struggles financially, Nurses( all grades) do a good job and are under pressure, but as long as the government continue to pressure each and every worker in the hospitals to do more it's obvious that some times families need to take some responsibility for their relatives. After all, it is not illegal to provide some hands on care for your loved one. Maybe if staff did not have to keep going to every patient asking if they are comfortable and entering the answers on a yet another tick box piece of paper, there may be time for more hands on care. I have so much to say, but i think this is enough for now. jvoodoo

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree