Call for review over leaked email

Southend Standard: Call for review over leaked email Call for review over leaked email

OPPOSITION councillors have called for an independent review after a leaked council e-mail suggested a Labour councillor was being investigated for benefit fraud.

A memo from a Thurrock Council official suggests Clare Baldwin, councillor for Tilbury Riverside and Thurrock Park, has been investigated for circumstances surrounding housing benefit fraud relating to properties in Tilbury and Loughton.

The e-mail alleges Cllr Baldwin was interviewed in October, 2012, about living arrangements with a partner at the home in Loughton, and later at a property in Tilbury, where she was claiming housing benefit, without declaring she was co-habiting.

Thurrock Conservative group leader, Cllr Phil Anderson, plans to call for an inquiry after seeing the e-mail, saying he had “grave concerns” over the affair.

Details of an investigation first surfaced in November, but Thurrock Council has refused to comment further.

Ms Baldwin and council leader John Kent have also both refused to comment.

But after seeing the report, Mr Anderson said: “It would be inappropriate to comment on these very serious allegations against Cllr Baldwin in advance of any court hearing.

“But I have grave concerns over why this has taken so long to be investigated and why Freedom of Information requests have not been properly responded to.

“I’m sure a normal member of the public would have expected to be either cleared or taken to court months ago.

“People rightly expect their elected representatives to be held to the highest standards of behaviour, and Thurrock residents will want to be reassured there has been no cover-up here.

“I will be asking for an independent review of the whole affair.”

A council spokesman said: “The only time Thurrock Council would make any comment on fraud investigations it was carrying out would be when court action was being taken and possibly not until the court had made a decision.

“Therefore it would be inappropriate to comment on allegations such as these and the council cannot confirm or deny the allegations.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:42pm Mon 20 May 13

supermadmax says...

I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter) supermadmax
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Mon 20 May 13

emcee says...

supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Faudsters is a given but why are people on benefits not fit to hold the office of councillor? What makes you or I a better person to be a councillor over someone recieving benefits?
Your comment must surely win the "most ridiculous comment of the week" award.
[quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Faudsters is a given but why are people on benefits not fit to hold the office of councillor? What makes you or I a better person to be a councillor over someone recieving benefits? Your comment must surely win the "most ridiculous comment of the week" award. emcee
  • Score: 0

2:03pm Mon 20 May 13

iknowbetter says...

supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
I disagree, those people would be in a better position to help those that are in the same position, all to often we hear MP's Councillors dont live in the real world. Also I dont like the term used by Mr Anderson when he said "Normal members of the public" is he saying Councillors are not normal members of the public? and do they have special dispensations? If so he should be struck off.
[quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]I disagree, those people would be in a better position to help those that are in the same position, all to often we hear MP's Councillors dont live in the real world. Also I dont like the term used by Mr Anderson when he said "Normal members of the public" is he saying Councillors are not normal members of the public? and do they have special dispensations? If so he should be struck off. iknowbetter
  • Score: 0

2:08pm Mon 20 May 13

iknowbetter says...

emcee wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Faudsters is a given but why are people on benefits not fit to hold the office of councillor? What makes you or I a better person to be a councillor over someone recieving benefits?
Your comment must surely win the "most ridiculous comment of the week" award.
Well said Emcee
[quote][p][bold]emcee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Faudsters is a given but why are people on benefits not fit to hold the office of councillor? What makes you or I a better person to be a councillor over someone recieving benefits? Your comment must surely win the "most ridiculous comment of the week" award.[/p][/quote]Well said Emcee iknowbetter
  • Score: 0

2:11pm Mon 20 May 13

Jubilation says...

Just see the anti-tory brigade hide under their slippery stones, over this, not the first time a Labour councillor, has shown their criminality.
Just see the anti-tory brigade hide under their slippery stones, over this, not the first time a Labour councillor, has shown their criminality. Jubilation
  • Score: 0

2:40pm Mon 20 May 13

Jubilation says...

supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others.
It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.
[quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others. It always comes down to one simple fact, Class. Jubilation
  • Score: 0

3:27pm Mon 20 May 13

iknowbetter says...

Jubilation wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others.
It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.
So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors?
Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is.
Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope..
[quote][p][bold]Jubilation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others. It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.[/p][/quote]So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors? Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is. Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope.. iknowbetter
  • Score: -1

4:16pm Mon 20 May 13

Nebs says...

iknowbetter wrote:
Jubilation wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others.
It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.
So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors?
Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is.
Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope..
No representation without taxation.
[quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jubilation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others. It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.[/p][/quote]So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors? Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is. Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope..[/p][/quote]No representation without taxation. Nebs
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Tue 21 May 13

iknowbetter says...

Nebs wrote:
iknowbetter wrote:
Jubilation wrote:
supermadmax wrote:
I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)
Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others.
It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.
So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors?
Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is.
Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope..
No representation without taxation.
So basically lose your job and lose everything, if your a Councillor and unfortunate enough to lose your job then you should also lose the right to become a Councillor? Or even a Charity volunteer. Dosnt seem quite right does it Nebs.
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jubilation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: I dont think people receiving benefits should be councillors (nor fraudsters for that matter)[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree, the great benefit class, shouldn't be able to become a councillor, why, because if they need help themselves, how are they ever going to be able to offer help and representation to others. It always comes down to one simple fact, Class.[/p][/quote]So what your saying is only people of a certain class should become Councillors? Can you not see what a pathetically uneducated comment that is. Is it any wonder this country is in the state its in with views like yours. There really is no hope..[/p][/quote]No representation without taxation.[/p][/quote]So basically lose your job and lose everything, if your a Councillor and unfortunate enough to lose your job then you should also lose the right to become a Councillor? Or even a Charity volunteer. Dosnt seem quite right does it Nebs. iknowbetter
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree