Bedroom destroyed in Westcliff house fire

FIRE crews have praised a woman for taking fire precautions which prevented her house burning down.

An electrical fault in a clock radio is believed to have started a fire in a house in Kenilworth Gardens, Westcliff.

Before the resident went out she had closed all her doors so by the time she arrived home at 1.15pm on Thursday the fire had burnt out and was smouldering.

Southend fire station officer Steve Parker said: "The main bedroom was gutted. The lady had shut all the doors so it was starved of oxygen so was just smouldering when we got there. She had done all the right things including having a smoke alarm."
 

Crews from Leigh and Hawkwell also attended.

The woman had managed to grab her cat before escaping and calling firefighters who gave her Saimese cat oxygen.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:16pm Thu 7 Feb 13

boyracer21 says...

What is it with all these stories lately of house fires and houses being burnt down?
What is it with all these stories lately of house fires and houses being burnt down? boyracer21
  • Score: -1

4:30pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Canvey48 says...

Because they happened??!!
Because they happened??!! Canvey48
  • Score: 1

9:14pm Thu 7 Feb 13

Ivadda Goodhump says...

Probably tried lighting her f@rts and it backfired.
Probably tried lighting her f@rts and it backfired. Ivadda Goodhump
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree