Southend food blogger Jack Monroe's shock at airbrushed tattoos in Waitrose Magazine

Southend Standard: Jack Monroe Jack Monroe

SOUTHEND food blogger and Echo columnist Jack Monroe said she was left stunned after a supermarket magazine edited out her tattoos in a photo.

Ms Monroe, who writes the Echo’s Frugal Food column, saw the doctored image in the January edition of Waitrose Kitchen, which featured some of her recipes.

She took to Twitter to vent her anger saying: “Thanks to Waitrose Kitchen, I now know what I would look like without my tattoos.

“I’m missing a massive deck of cards on my shoulder and a big rose underneath it. Wow. Actually stunned.”

Southend Standard:

She added she usually takes long sleeve tops to photoshoots in casethe publications she is posing for have issues with her tattoos. She also said she would never consent to having them airbrushed out and she would be writing an article called “Does my body art offend you?” on her blog.

The campaigner, who has a cookery book out in the New Year, was criticised for having tattoos, rather than addressing her political arguments earlier this year.

Southend Standard:

A Waitrose spokeswoman apologised for what it described as a “mistake”.

She said: “Jack’s tattoos were clearly visible in the three pictures of her in the November issue of Kitchen.

“Unfortunately, an error was made in the January edition. We’re very sorry for any upset caused.

“If you look at the November issue you can see we really don’t have a problem with tattoos in our publications.”

Jack has also been named alongside Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Ben Ainslie as one of the top 25 Britons of the year by the Daily Telegraph newspaper.

Southend’s Great British Bake Off finalist Ruby Tandoh, 21, also made the rundown.

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:08am Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Whilst the acceptance of a tattooed lady, seems to be widespread, in many a fashion context, you wouldn't expect to see a BBC news reader sporting tattoo, like it or not tattoos do lend themselves to a certain oikish element,and thus not acceptable on such a stage of media.
Whilst the acceptance of a tattooed lady, seems to be widespread, in many a fashion context, you wouldn't expect to see a BBC news reader sporting tattoo, like it or not tattoos do lend themselves to a certain oikish element,and thus not acceptable on such a stage of media. Nowthatsworthknowing

8:13am Tue 31 Dec 13

colsmith says...

Oh the inevitable tattoo. How refreshing it would be to see someone of "tender" years NOT to have their b*oody skin adorned with these **** things. Most of these morons will regret their stupidity later in life and good on Waitrose for their "mistake"......
Oh the inevitable tattoo. How refreshing it would be to see someone of "tender" years NOT to have their b*oody skin adorned with these **** things. Most of these morons will regret their stupidity later in life and good on Waitrose for their "mistake"...... colsmith

8:20am Tue 31 Dec 13

ravnos says...

tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc. ravnos

8:45am Tue 31 Dec 13

Thorp55 says...

Why is this news. Jack is a full on attention seeker.ok so the idea of the cheap recipes is good.but it's not as if she was dragged up on a sink estate with no guidance, most of those people wouldn't even have heard of some of her ingredients,!
Why is this news. Jack is a full on attention seeker.ok so the idea of the cheap recipes is good.but it's not as if she was dragged up on a sink estate with no guidance, most of those people wouldn't even have heard of some of her ingredients,! Thorp55

8:45am Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

ravnos wrote:
tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be.
They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q. Nowthatsworthknowing

8:56am Tue 31 Dec 13

ravnos says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.) ravnos

9:05am Tue 31 Dec 13

Bester says...

ravnos wrote:
tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
That's ridiculous. There's a massive difference between judging someone on their inherited physical characteristics, and judging someone on their choice of body modification. The former is judgement based on (assumed) race/ancestry, whilst the latter is judgement based on an individual's actions.
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]That's ridiculous. There's a massive difference between judging someone on their inherited physical characteristics, and judging someone on their choice of body modification. The former is judgement based on (assumed) race/ancestry, whilst the latter is judgement based on an individual's actions. Bester

9:13am Tue 31 Dec 13

ravnos says...

The simple fact is that tattos do not change a person, their abilities, aspirations, thoughts or as suggested above, their IQ! Tattoos show courage to be different. Tattoos are art. Some people like to hang their art on a wall, while others wish to wear theirs. Tattoos are a personal prefence. Some don't like them, while others do.
The simple fact is that tattos do not change a person, their abilities, aspirations, thoughts or as suggested above, their IQ! Tattoos show courage to be different. Tattoos are art. Some people like to hang their art on a wall, while others wish to wear theirs. Tattoos are a personal prefence. Some don't like them, while others do. ravnos

9:15am Tue 31 Dec 13

hatchet1111 says...

Tatoos are ugly. They have no place in a food column, they would make civilised readers sick.
Tatoos are ugly. They have no place in a food column, they would make civilised readers sick. hatchet1111

9:31am Tue 31 Dec 13

niki-loo says...

do some of you even read the article before getting your judgy hats on? nope didnt think so......she takes long sleeve tops to photoshoots so that they can choose whether to show her tats or not. so no need for the airbrushing really is there! ive no problem with tattoos, i have none myself but i dont see how someone else having them should offend me. should i also be offended by the jewellery someone wears? or the make up they choose to use? ludicrous!
do some of you even read the article before getting your judgy hats on? nope didnt think so......she takes long sleeve tops to photoshoots so that they can choose whether to show her tats or not. so no need for the airbrushing really is there! ive no problem with tattoos, i have none myself but i dont see how someone else having them should offend me. should i also be offended by the jewellery someone wears? or the make up they choose to use? ludicrous! niki-loo

9:35am Tue 31 Dec 13

colsmith says...

As open minded as I am and boy have I been, there are some things my mind is totally closed to. Tattoos.. Tattoos are ugly, boring and do NOT make you an individual. In fact in most "intelligent" people's eyes they are moronic. Being an amateur artist, I can evaluate the skill in some of the designs and clever some may be but they are there for ever and MOST people regret having them. If there was a quick fix available to remove them, fine do as many as you feel you need to make you an "individual"......I know many "famous" people have them and good luck if it floats their particular boat. They look ridiculous and unfortunately are judgmental..Fact shame as it is...
As open minded as I am and boy have I been, there are some things my mind is totally closed to. Tattoos.. Tattoos are ugly, boring and do NOT make you an individual. In fact in most "intelligent" people's eyes they are moronic. Being an amateur artist, I can evaluate the skill in some of the designs and clever some may be but they are there for ever and MOST people regret having them. If there was a quick fix available to remove them, fine do as many as you feel you need to make you an "individual"......I know many "famous" people have them and good luck if it floats their particular boat. They look ridiculous and unfortunately are judgmental..Fact shame as it is... colsmith

9:54am Tue 31 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

tony parsons was spot on about the tattooed jungle
tony parsons was spot on about the tattooed jungle profondo asbo

10:34am Tue 31 Dec 13

Keptquiettillnow says...

Thorp55 wrote:
Why is this news. Jack is a full on attention seeker.ok so the idea of the cheap recipes is good.but it's not as if she was dragged up on a sink estate with no guidance, most of those people wouldn't even have heard of some of her ingredients,!
Thats great, the Southend Village mentality at its best.
Happy New Year Ms Monroe, keep up the good work.
[quote][p][bold]Thorp55[/bold] wrote: Why is this news. Jack is a full on attention seeker.ok so the idea of the cheap recipes is good.but it's not as if she was dragged up on a sink estate with no guidance, most of those people wouldn't even have heard of some of her ingredients,![/p][/quote]Thats great, the Southend Village mentality at its best. Happy New Year Ms Monroe, keep up the good work. Keptquiettillnow

5:36pm Tue 31 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

ravnos wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)
You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them.
When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)[/p][/quote]You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them. When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says. iknowbetter

6:10pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

iknowbetter wrote:
ravnos wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)
You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them.
When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.
You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair
[quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)[/p][/quote]You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them. When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.[/p][/quote]You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair Nowthatsworthknowing

6:14pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Women with tattoos, are as bad as Men with jogging trousers, they both wreak of laziness, personality disorders and are attempting to look cool, whilst they actually look cheap, thick and dirty..
Women with tattoos, are as bad as Men with jogging trousers, they both wreak of laziness, personality disorders and are attempting to look cool, whilst they actually look cheap, thick and dirty.. Nowthatsworthknowing

6:31pm Tue 31 Dec 13

profondo asbo says...

much chav
very tattoo
so margarine pot
wow
much chav very tattoo so margarine pot wow profondo asbo

6:51pm Tue 31 Dec 13

iknowbetter says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
iknowbetter wrote:
ravnos wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)
You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them.
When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.
You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair
Your above statement just enforces my sentiments, your thick and have a very low IQ.
The echo forum welcomes the Village idiot, "nowthatsworthknowin
g"
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)[/p][/quote]You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them. When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.[/p][/quote]You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair[/p][/quote]Your above statement just enforces my sentiments, your thick and have a very low IQ. The echo forum welcomes the Village idiot, "nowthatsworthknowin g" iknowbetter

8:49am Wed 1 Jan 14

Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme says...

iknowbetter wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
iknowbetter wrote:
ravnos wrote:
Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)
You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them.
When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.
You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair
Your above statement just enforces my sentiments, your thick and have a very low IQ.
The echo forum welcomes the Village idiot, "nowthatsworthk
nowin
g"
Do you ever write about the stories in hand ? because all I see you doing, is trolling other posters.
Looking at NTWK's many posts, he/she is a clever and witty writer, whilst all I see from better, are mean spiteful posts, which is why I have reported you, for exclusion from this forum, Happy New Year
[quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]iknowbetter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]You have absolutely no idea... Exacltly how does having a tattoo change a person? (apart from the colour of their skin.)[/p][/quote]You'll come to understand that while Nowthatsworthknowing says alot about alot of things he never ever makes any sense about any of them. When he talks about other peoples low IQ's what he really means is he is as thick as sh*t... Not only does he live in a make believe World he actually believes in what he says.[/p][/quote]You like jack, both need to be fitted with muzzles, as you do tend to spout off, like you haven't got a pair[/p][/quote]Your above statement just enforces my sentiments, your thick and have a very low IQ. The echo forum welcomes the Village idiot, "nowthatsworthk nowin g"[/p][/quote]Do you ever write about the stories in hand ? because all I see you doing, is trolling other posters. Looking at NTWK's many posts, he/she is a clever and witty writer, whilst all I see from better, are mean spiteful posts, which is why I have reported you, for exclusion from this forum, Happy New Year Yermotherwouldn'tlikeme

9:11am Wed 1 Jan 14

Nowthatsworthknowing says...

Can't stand idiots like iknowbetter, though I expect nothing less than a good verbal ruck
Can't stand idiots like iknowbetter, though I expect nothing less than a good verbal ruck Nowthatsworthknowing

2:58pm Wed 1 Jan 14

_Lotus_ says...

Nowthatsworthknowing wrote:
ravnos wrote:
tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be.
They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.
Don't be so ridiculous, how the hell would you know you don't have any do you?
[quote][p][bold]Nowthatsworthknowing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Highly paid does not matter, the simple fact is people with Tats are often inadequate individuals, wish to be seen as something they will never be. They are a sign of weakness, and of low I.Q.[/p][/quote]Don't be so ridiculous, how the hell would you know you don't have any do you? _Lotus_

4:15pm Wed 1 Jan 14

CaptainBlackadder says...

ravnos wrote:
The simple fact is that tattos do not change a person, their abilities, aspirations, thoughts or as suggested above, their IQ! Tattoos show courage to be different. Tattoos are art. Some people like to hang their art on a wall, while others wish to wear theirs. Tattoos are a personal prefence. Some don't like them, while others do.
I read somewhere that we are the most tattooed nation in Europe (or was it the world?) So that doesn't sound like people being 'different' or 'individual' to me ,that sounds like people being sheep and following everyone else's example- nowadays those that do not get tattoos seem to be the ones with 'courage to be different'.
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: The simple fact is that tattos do not change a person, their abilities, aspirations, thoughts or as suggested above, their IQ! Tattoos show courage to be different. Tattoos are art. Some people like to hang their art on a wall, while others wish to wear theirs. Tattoos are a personal prefence. Some don't like them, while others do.[/p][/quote]I read somewhere that we are the most tattooed nation in Europe (or was it the world?) So that doesn't sound like people being 'different' or 'individual' to me ,that sounds like people being sheep and following everyone else's example- nowadays those that do not get tattoos seem to be the ones with 'courage to be different'. CaptainBlackadder

12:55am Sat 4 Jan 14

southendfanman says...

I like Jack Munros recipe ideas, I agree that you should not treat some any differently just because they have tattos. Waitrose was out of line. In her Sainsburys add she shows her tattoos. Nothing wrong with body art and piercings. From what I hear Jack had a good upbringing and went to Southend High for Girls. I think she is quite clever as she has milked her situation for than any farm cow will be milked in a lifetime. I think she exaggerates. It is a great shame she is a labour supporter.
I like Jack Munros recipe ideas, I agree that you should not treat some any differently just because they have tattos. Waitrose was out of line. In her Sainsburys add she shows her tattoos. Nothing wrong with body art and piercings. From what I hear Jack had a good upbringing and went to Southend High for Girls. I think she is quite clever as she has milked her situation for than any farm cow will be milked in a lifetime. I think she exaggerates. It is a great shame she is a labour supporter. southendfanman

12:25pm Sat 4 Jan 14

Stephanie15 says...

As an 18 year old art student, who wants tattoos (Upper left arm), and with the intent of getting a tattoo you want to show them off, they can be beautiful works of art that means so much to the person who got it/them, or they can be mistakes. Yes. Telling people you think tattoos are ugly, boring and unoriginal is not going to stop people getting them. Waitrose had no right to do this to Jack because her tattoos cause no harm, no distress or anything t anyone, they are artwork on her body and the company should have respected that. Whatever they're moral compass accepts tattooed bodies or not, it's a matter of respect.
As an 18 year old art student, who wants tattoos (Upper left arm), and with the intent of getting a tattoo you want to show them off, they can be beautiful works of art that means so much to the person who got it/them, or they can be mistakes. Yes. Telling people you think tattoos are ugly, boring and unoriginal is not going to stop people getting them. Waitrose had no right to do this to Jack because her tattoos cause no harm, no distress or anything t anyone, they are artwork on her body and the company should have respected that. Whatever they're moral compass accepts tattooed bodies or not, it's a matter of respect. Stephanie15

3:04pm Sun 5 Jan 14

teclis says...

colsmith wrote:
As open minded as I am and boy have I been, there are some things my mind is totally closed to. Tattoos.. Tattoos are ugly, boring and do NOT make you an individual. In fact in most "intelligent" people's eyes they are moronic. Being an amateur artist, I can evaluate the skill in some of the designs and clever some may be but they are there for ever and MOST people regret having them. If there was a quick fix available to remove them, fine do as many as you feel you need to make you an "individual"......I know many "famous" people have them and good luck if it floats their particular boat. They look ridiculous and unfortunately are judgmental..Fact shame as it is...
Wow,

Welcome to ignorance and judgmental weekly 101!

iknowbetter:
Firstly, claiming that the majority of people sporting tattoos have a low I.Q. is completely misguided, incorrect and clearly based upon your own prejudice. I myself have a Master's Degree, a degree in Biochemistry and run a very successful Environmental Consultancy Business - AND HAVE TATTOOS. So what? Do my tattoos cancel out the education i have? Of course not you fool. I have two full sleeve tattoo's, one on my back and one on a leg, some of which were created by the top three tattooists in the world based upon many discussions on what I as an individual like. They are art, by artists who also tattoo.

My sleeve tattoos have completely reversed the awful eczema i had almost overnight and trust me my Tattoos look a far sight better than the lizard skin i used to have.

Colsmith;
Let's get this perfectly straight; They are not forever (one can very easily have them removed and with no lasting effects using various methods) and MOST do not regret getting them. The people that regret getting tattoo's are those that try to spend as little as possible but think they'll end up with a Picasso for the price of a night out. It is these idiots that visit the "scratchers" who think they are tattooists but simply haven't got a clue that they'll end up with a steaming pile of crap, tattooed with cheap ink. They then wonder why that £50 tattoo is now something they utterly regret having and wish they could get rid of it.

Tattoo removal is very simple nowadays and there are two very good methods which can eliminate a tattoo 100% (anything black or dark can be removed 100%, whilst lighter colours take longer and aren't as successful). And before you say "but they are scars" do your research. A tattoo is not a scar. The reason the ink stays permanent/semi permanent is that the ink molecules are larger than the pores in your dermis (skin) and are larger than white blood cells, thus they cannot be completely ejected from the dermis.

New removal methods including the more modern lasers and the injection of a cream, break these particles down to a manageable size and they almost literally sweat or bleed out through the pores in the skin - leaving, wait for it..........NO Scarring.

Get off your high horses, stop judging people on your own prejudices and let people be free to do as they please.
[quote][p][bold]colsmith[/bold] wrote: As open minded as I am and boy have I been, there are some things my mind is totally closed to. Tattoos.. Tattoos are ugly, boring and do NOT make you an individual. In fact in most "intelligent" people's eyes they are moronic. Being an amateur artist, I can evaluate the skill in some of the designs and clever some may be but they are there for ever and MOST people regret having them. If there was a quick fix available to remove them, fine do as many as you feel you need to make you an "individual"......I know many "famous" people have them and good luck if it floats their particular boat. They look ridiculous and unfortunately are judgmental..Fact shame as it is...[/p][/quote]Wow, Welcome to ignorance and judgmental weekly 101! iknowbetter: Firstly, claiming that the majority of people sporting tattoos have a low I.Q. is completely misguided, incorrect and clearly based upon your own prejudice. I myself have a Master's Degree, a degree in Biochemistry and run a very successful Environmental Consultancy Business - AND HAVE TATTOOS. So what? Do my tattoos cancel out the education i have? Of course not you fool. I have two full sleeve tattoo's, one on my back and one on a leg, some of which were created by the top three tattooists in the world based upon many discussions on what I as an individual like. They are art, by artists who also tattoo. My sleeve tattoos have completely reversed the awful eczema i had almost overnight and trust me my Tattoos look a far sight better than the lizard skin i used to have. Colsmith; Let's get this perfectly straight; They are not forever (one can very easily have them removed and with no lasting effects using various methods) and MOST do not regret getting them. The people that regret getting tattoo's are those that try to spend as little as possible but think they'll end up with a Picasso for the price of a night out. It is these idiots that visit the "scratchers" who think they are tattooists but simply haven't got a clue that they'll end up with a steaming pile of crap, tattooed with cheap ink. They then wonder why that £50 tattoo is now something they utterly regret having and wish they could get rid of it. Tattoo removal is very simple nowadays and there are two very good methods which can eliminate a tattoo 100% (anything black or dark can be removed 100%, whilst lighter colours take longer and aren't as successful). And before you say "but they are scars" do your research. A tattoo is not a scar. The reason the ink stays permanent/semi permanent is that the ink molecules are larger than the pores in your dermis (skin) and are larger than white blood cells, thus they cannot be completely ejected from the dermis. New removal methods including the more modern lasers and the injection of a cream, break these particles down to a manageable size and they almost literally sweat or bleed out through the pores in the skin - leaving, wait for it..........NO Scarring. Get off your high horses, stop judging people on your own prejudices and let people be free to do as they please. teclis

11:10pm Mon 6 Jan 14

smiffy22 says...

ravnos wrote:
tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.
Rubbish. While I would agree that the colour of skin we were born with cannot be used as a means of defining or judging us, tattoos most certainly can be used as an indicator. This is because they are done by choice, whereas we have no choice as to skin colour we are born with.
Regards,
Smiffy22
[quote][p][bold]ravnos[/bold] wrote: tattoo's are just the colour of skin, and do not change the person or their capabilities. Having a tattoo does not change or define the person. Many people have tattoos, some of which are in high paid jobs. Discrimination against tattoos isd the same as discrminating against balck, white or asian etc.[/p][/quote]Rubbish. While I would agree that the colour of skin we were born with cannot be used as a means of defining or judging us, tattoos most certainly can be used as an indicator. This is because they are done by choice, whereas we have no choice as to skin colour we are born with. Regards, Smiffy22 smiffy22

11:16pm Mon 6 Jan 14

smiffy22 says...

Stephanie15 wrote:
As an 18 year old art student, who wants tattoos (Upper left arm), and with the intent of getting a tattoo you want to show them off, they can be beautiful works of art that means so much to the person who got it/them, or they can be mistakes. Yes. Telling people you think tattoos are ugly, boring and unoriginal is not going to stop people getting them. Waitrose had no right to do this to Jack because her tattoos cause no harm, no distress or anything t anyone, they are artwork on her body and the company should have respected that. Whatever they're moral compass accepts tattooed bodies or not, it's a matter of respect.
It's not about morals. It's about not wanting the naff and stupid look on their article.
Regards,
Smiffy22
[quote][p][bold]Stephanie15[/bold] wrote: As an 18 year old art student, who wants tattoos (Upper left arm), and with the intent of getting a tattoo you want to show them off, they can be beautiful works of art that means so much to the person who got it/them, or they can be mistakes. Yes. Telling people you think tattoos are ugly, boring and unoriginal is not going to stop people getting them. Waitrose had no right to do this to Jack because her tattoos cause no harm, no distress or anything t anyone, they are artwork on her body and the company should have respected that. Whatever they're moral compass accepts tattooed bodies or not, it's a matter of respect.[/p][/quote]It's not about morals. It's about not wanting the naff and stupid look on their article. Regards, Smiffy22 smiffy22

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree