PUBS have been a staple of the south Essex community for hundreds of years, but many have fallen by the wayside and been forced to close their doors to punters.

Our favourite boozers have been forced to close their doors once again due to a second national lockdown being put in place earlier this month due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

But can you remember these 10 south Essex pubs which are long gone?

The Lost Pubs Project - found at closedpubs.co.uk - remembers pubs which some may have forgotten.

Southend Standard:

End of an era - the Lighthouse, on London Road, was a favourite with the local community before shutting its doors to punters

Some have interesting stories to tell, with the Red Cow changing its name to the King Canute following the Canvey floods of 1953, when the armed forces used the pub as headquarters for the big clean-up.

Join us on a pub crawl like no other and scroll down to see more images of long lost pubs.

Southend Standard:

Back in the day - the King Canute was built on Canvey Road in 1937 and originally called the Red Cow before a name change after the 1953 Canvey floods

Southend Standard:

Boarded up - the Barge Inn, on High Road, Vange, shut its doors having operated at the site for 200 years

READ MORE

Southend Standard:

Community - the now-demolished Commodore, on Timberlog Lane, Basildon, in 1987

Southend Standard:

Coming down - the Railway pub, in Pitsea, as bulldozers began to demolish the boozer in May 2013

Southend Standard:

Gone - Hadleys Freehouse was situated on Benfleet Road before being demolished

Southend Standard:

Now has a new look - the Mayflower was closed in 2013, making way for a steakhouse to be implemented at the Jacksons Lane site in Billericay

Southend Standard:

Created memories - the New White Hart was situated on Billericay High Street before closing in 2015

Southend Standard:

Historic - the Rising Sun opened on Sun Street, Billericay, in 1810 and closed in August 2014

Southend Standard:

How time flies - the Cutley Lynch, which was found in Benfleet, closed nearly a decade ago