CONFUSED residents have hit out after continually being slapped with fines for leaving their cars parked on a speed hump... despite winning appeals to have their tickets quashed.

Traffic wardens have been dishing out fines to drivers for leaving their vehicles on the speed hump in Claudius Road, near St George’s New Town Junior School, Colchester.

Edyta Martin, who lives in the street, said more than half of her neighbours had been targeted at one time or another over the past couple of months.

She said: “Parking can be challenging as it is a residential area, everyone knows it.

“The funny thing is there are quite few speed bumps around here, but for some reason the traffic warden has targeted the ones near the school.

“We appealed against our ticket saying it is a parking space as any other. The ticket was overturned and the reason given was it was issued in error.”

Despite the North Essex Parking Partnership not disputing Ms Martin’s appeal, more tickets have continued to be distributed.

“Our neighbours who got a ticket a few weeks before us asked for clarification as to if they can park there and they had confirmation they can,” Ms Martin said.

“But yet again they got another ticket for parking on the same spot.

“I think it is absolutely shocking authorities are targeting regular people to raise funds like this. Especially now when times are so difficult, it’s just adding to people’s stress levels.”

A spokesman for the NEPP said tickets for parking on the speed hump were valid under parking legislation as the hump raised the road to the level of the pavement but said some had been waived in favour of issuing warnings to residents.

He said: “By parking here, vehicles have been blocking access and sight lines for pedestrians.

“Parking at such locations is prohibited by national legislation without any additional traffic signs or road markings.

“Some of the tickets have been waived with a warning given by NEPP and those cases resolved.

“If a motorist believes a penalty charge notice has been issued incorrectly, they can challenge it by following the guidance on the reverse of the notice and submitting a written appeal with evidence to the NEPP who will review the details of the case.”