A CARE home resident was left distressed after “repeatedly and aggressively” being told to sit down as a staff member giggled and tutted in the background, an inspection report has revealed.

Health watchdog the Care Quality Commission criticised Nightingale House, in Crowstone Road, Westcliff, which closed in early April after a number of concerns were raised about the safety of the building and the care provided.

Following a visit and fire safety check in April, council-funded residents were then moved out of the home.

A commission spokesman has confirmed no residents are likely to be at the home but it is not totally closed.

During their inspection at the home, which has been rated inadequate and is now in special measures, one person called to staff: “Please, where am I? I want to go to bed. I want to die’.”

In the inspection report, published on July 4, the commission revealed a member of staff was present at this time and did not offer any support or reassurance and continued to ignore the person for four minutes.

At this point, the person became distressed and when the person stood up, was repeatedly and aggressively told to sit down. The member of staff responded by giggling and tutting with their teeth at the person who was distressed.

During the inspection on March 5, one resident reported they were sometimes forced to “dip their hands in a jug of drinking water” to wash them, being unable to access proper facilities.

They said: “I can’t get up to use the sink. I have asked them for a bowl to wash my hands, but they haven’t given me one.”

The home was found to not follow infection control measures, with dried faeces being left on toilet seats throughout the building as well as faeces in waste paper bins.

There was also a strong odour of urine throughout the home. When raised with the manager, they said: “Its 100 per cent smelly here. We use lots of air fresheners around to fight it. Problem is, the smell is soaked through to the lino and its already underneath.”

One person told the watchdog they had not received medication to support their breathing. They said: “I’m supposed to have it four times a day. Even if they would give it to me twice a day that would be something. But I haven’t had it.”

Another resident said: “When tablets run out you can wait up to a week to get a new prescription.

“It’s frightening because I’m on heart tablets.”

Nightingale House was approached but did not comment.