CHARLIE Kelman's second half brace saw Southend United record their first League Cup win since 2010 tonight.

The Shrimpers seemed set for more cup woe when Dean Parrett fires Stevenage in front in the first half at Broadhall Way.

But two Kelman goals in the space of just eight minutes saw Blues fight back to secure their first success of the season.

Southend started the contest brightly with Stephen McLaughlin having a long range shot parried to safety by Stevenage goalkeeper Paul Farman.

But, after withstanding the early spell of pressure, the hosts hit back and opened the scoring in the 14th minute when Dean Parratt sent a well-struck 20 yard shot into the top left hand corner of the net.

The well-taken effort meant Blues have still not kept a clean sheet since January.

And, just moments later, the hosts wasted a golden chance to double their lead when Parratt’s right wing corner picked up Kurtis Guthrie at the near post but the striker could only steer his shot wide of the opposite.

After surviving the scare, Blues were forced into making their first change of the night as Harry Lennon had to be withdrawn in the 26th minute, with John White replacing him at the heart of the back four.

The Shrimpers attempted to get back into the game and came close to equalising on the stroke of half-time when McLaughlin’s left wing cross found Isaac Hutchinson but the youngster’s goalbound effort was brilliantly blocked by Stevenage defender Luis Fernandez.

However, Southend were not to be denied and Kevin Bond’s side equalised immediately after the break when Elvis Bwomono’s right wing cross found Kelman who headed home from close range.

Kelman was soon at it again as he fired the Shrimpers in front with a fantastic effort in the 55th minute.

McLaughlin started the move down the left hand side with a fine ball into the path of Nathan Ralph whose cross found Kelman in the box.

The youngster brought the ball under control with a neat touch before rifling the ball into the left hand side of the net from 12 yards to put the Shrimpers in front for the first time.

Kelman was one of three changes made to Blues' starting line-up by boss Kevin Bond as goalkeeper Nathan Bishop was also handed his first start of the season between the sticks.

Winger McLaughlin was recalled on the left flank after missing Saturday's defeat to Blackpool.

However, the Irishman was taken off in the 77th minute as he made way for summer signing Andre Blackman who came on for his Blues debut on the left hand side of midfield.

Nine minutes later, Stevenage sub Emmanuel Sonupe limped off injured after the hosts had made all three changes to leave them with 10 men in the closing stages which Blues saw out to triumph.

Southend United: Bishop, Bwomono, Shaughnessy, Lennon (White 26), Ralph, McLaughlin (Blackman 77), Milligan, Mantom, Hutchinson, Cox, Kelman Subs: Oxley, Hyam, Humphrys, Ndukwu & Robinson