Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Quick thinking mum saves children after kitchen fire in Southend flats
1:12pm Saturday 11th August 2012 in Southend
A QUICK thinking mother of three saved her children after a blaze broke out in their flat.
Firefighters were called to the ninth floor of Temple Court in Pantile Avenue, Southend, shortly after 11am today after a grill pan caught alight.
By the time they arrived at the scene the fire was out, and the family had evacuated the property.
Mick Crisp, Station Officer at Southend, said: "A 27 year old mum raised the alarm after her grill pan caught alight when she had been cooking some bacon. The woman did exactly the right thing, she isolated the power, got out of the kitchen and closed the door behind her, and got the children out of the flat and called 999.
"The woman and the three children aged nine, two and two and a half all safely evacuated from the flat."