A MAN received life threatening injuries after his car came off the road and hit a tree in Thorpe Bay.

The man, in his fifties, had to be cut free from the blue Ford Fiesta by firefighters after it left Lifstan Way and hit a tree near the junction with Greenways.

Two Southend fire crews, police and the East of England Ambulance service were called to the scene and firefighters managed to release him from the wreckage using cutting equipment.

He sustained life-threatening leg and shoulder injuries in the crash and paramedics worked for more than hour to treat, stabilise and sedate him at the roadside.

The man was then taken to the Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, where his condition improved.

Jamie Brickard, one of the paramedics who attended the incident, said: “We got called to a car which had hit a tree and the male driver was partially ejected.

“He suffered life-threatening injuries including damage to his legs and pelvis and was sedated on scene by the critical care doctor and administered medication to help reduce serious bleeding.

“He was then taken to the Royal London Hospital in a critical condition.”

Police immediately closed a section of road after the crash, at about 5.30am on Friday, while the man was treated by paramedics. It remained closed while members of the emergency services attempted to determine the cause of the crash.

The man was freed from his car just after 6am.

A police spokesman said: “The collision happened when the driver of a blue Ford Fiesta appears to have lost control of the car while driving along Lifstan Way and struck a tree.

“The driver, a man in his fifties who lives locally, was taken to the Royal London Hospital by paramedics after sustaining serious leg and shoulder injuries.

“Medical staff are still assessing his condition.

“A section of the road has been closed while inquiries are conducted at the scene to ascertain a possible cause of the crash.”

Police have appealed for any witnesses to the incident to call officers in Southend on 101.