COMMUNITIES across Rochford have been told theymust raise £40,000 in a week for a judicial review if they are to stop nearly 3,000 homes being built.
The warning came at a Hullbridge village meeting on Monday evening from residents’ action groups.
Hullbridge itself is set to see 500 new homes built in the area, with 2,785 planned across the district as a whole over the next 15 years.
At the meeting, residents were told a judicial review was their only realistic hope of stopping the proposals.
Linda Kendall, chairman of the Rayleigh Action Group, warned residents they had until April 8 to submit their judicial review.
Ms Kendall, of Lubbards Close, Rayleigh, said: “We need to work together to fight and raise money for the review.
“Councillors cannot do this, not consult us and run this district like their own fiefdom. It is not good enough – end of.
“All the money will go to charity if we don’t make it.
It’s only just over £1 per person in Rayleigh – with Hullbridge it’s even less. It might be a long shot, but I am not giving up.”
Ms Kendall is working with Richard Buxton from Environmental and Public Law, in Cambridge, and feels residents have a case over the issue of the public consultation.
Brian Carleton, a former chartered surveyor and leader of the Hullbridge Residents’ Action Group, gained the support of 98.5 per cent of the village against the council’s plans in a doorto- door campaign last year.
He said: “The council has literally bombarded the village and are using it as a dumping ground for extra homes.
“I have been in touch with Linda’s lawyers and will give them any help I can in making the reviewwork.”
Donate to the reviews fund using the Lloyds Account number 22329568, sort code 30-96-94.