The Echo takes a sneak peek at London Southend Airport's new terminal extension

Southend Standard: Welcome - operations manager David Lister Welcome - operations manager David Lister

SOUTHEND Airport has unveiled its £10million, extended terminal building.

The extension will offer more space for passengers, more shops and is bringing 300 new jobs.

The Echo was given a peek behind the scenes before the building opens towards the middle of next month.

It is the latest stage of development at the airport, in which £120million has been invested since the Stobart Group took over in 2008.

The bigger and better terminal comes just a few months after Which? magazine named Southend Britain’s best airport in August 2013, receiving a customer satisfaction score of 84 per cent.

Operations director David Lister said: “We are proud of the award. It is important to us to be able to continue that service and improve it.

“One of the areas where we did not score five stars was for retail, but this extension allows us more variety.

“Travellers will be able to make use of a more relaxed, open and spacious departure lounge and also shop, or have a drink and something to eat in our new bar.”

The departure lounge is four times the size of the current facility, with the extension also tripling retail floor space.

It has seating for 300 which, when combined with the 170 seats in the new bar – scheduled for a summer opening – more than triples the current 150 seats.

Changes have also been made to maintain passenger flow. The number of check-in desks will increase from six to ten, with space for a further four, and the gates have doubled, from three to six.

Mr Lister added: “All this has been done to maintain our timing of 15 minutes from plane to train, even with our new enhanced capacity.”

The airport aims to transport more than one million passengers this year, after setting a record with 970,167 passengers passing through in 2013.

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:43pm Sat 1 Feb 14

CHRISTMAS CAROL says...

What will go to make space
What will go to make space CHRISTMAS CAROL

3:35pm Sat 1 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

It Can Only Get BETTER. F A N T A S T I C
It Can Only Get BETTER. F A N T A S T I C You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat

3:36pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

CHRISTMAS CAROL wrote:
What will go to make space
?
[quote][p][bold]CHRISTMAS CAROL[/bold] wrote: What will go to make space[/p][/quote]? Living the La Vida Legra

3:50pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

I'm going to Venice in June, I can't wait to fly from Southend We are gifted to have such a great facility like this. My wife who has a beauty salon in Rochford has been told by her clients that from landing to home and a cup of tea in hand takes 20 minutes.
FYI won't be using gatwick or stansted no more!
I'm going to Venice in June, I can't wait to fly from Southend We are gifted to have such a great facility like this. My wife who has a beauty salon in Rochford has been told by her clients that from landing to home and a cup of tea in hand takes 20 minutes. FYI won't be using gatwick or stansted no more! Living the La Vida Legra

4:01pm Sat 1 Feb 14

runwellian says...

Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home!

I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop?

Off to the estate agent!
Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home! I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop? Off to the estate agent! runwellian

4:47pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Southend Andy says...

runwellian wrote:
Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home!

I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop?

Off to the estate agent!
wen did you move to you homek? did you not know there was an airport there . That could expand?
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home! I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop? Off to the estate agent![/p][/quote]wen did you move to you homek? did you not know there was an airport there . That could expand? Southend Andy

5:44pm Sat 1 Feb 14

This Year says...

CHRISTMAS CAROL wrote:
What will go to make space
Nothing.

It was an empty space next to the original terminal.


????
[quote][p][bold]CHRISTMAS CAROL[/bold] wrote: What will go to make space[/p][/quote]Nothing. It was an empty space next to the original terminal. ???? This Year

6:17pm Sat 1 Feb 14

keepitreal says...

People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes to off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport.
Stop moaning an live with it.
also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc

your bored of moaning gits
People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes to off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport. Stop moaning an live with it. also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc your bored of moaning gits keepitreal

6:21pm Sat 1 Feb 14

keepitreal says...

People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took
off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport.
Stop moaning an live with it.
also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc

your bored of moaning gits
People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport. Stop moaning an live with it. also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc your bored of moaning gits keepitreal

8:31pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Nebs says...

keepitreal wrote:
People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took
off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport.
Stop moaning an live with it.
also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc

your bored of moaning gits
Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise.
[quote][p][bold]keepitreal[/bold] wrote: People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport. Stop moaning an live with it. also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc your bored of moaning gits[/p][/quote]Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise. Nebs

11:12pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Alec Cikes says...

Excellent news! Keep on expanding the European flights from London Southend. It's great for the local business!
Excellent news! Keep on expanding the European flights from London Southend. It's great for the local business! Alec Cikes

8:37am Sun 2 Feb 14

tophat27dt says...

Good news. More passenger comfort. Last year was sometimes a bit overcrowded. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any new destinations by EasyJet although they have increased the number of flights to existing destinations.
Good news. More passenger comfort. Last year was sometimes a bit overcrowded. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any new destinations by EasyJet although they have increased the number of flights to existing destinations. tophat27dt

11:48am Sun 2 Feb 14

disenfranchisedpast says...

Nebs wrote:
keepitreal wrote:
People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took
off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport.
Stop moaning an live with it.
also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc

your bored of moaning gits
Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise.
And the airport have constantly said they would meet their obligations for compensation, however the actual obligations differ quite significantly from what the nimbys believe they are entitled to.

Seeing as the expansion hasn't really allowed bigger, louder aircraft to operate, it has just meant those aircraft can be filled with passengers rather than freight.

Given the historic use of the airport as a busy commercial airport, I would be surprised if many of the 1200 claiments got much if anything.
[quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreal[/bold] wrote: People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport. Stop moaning an live with it. also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc your bored of moaning gits[/p][/quote]Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise.[/p][/quote]And the airport have constantly said they would meet their obligations for compensation, however the actual obligations differ quite significantly from what the nimbys believe they are entitled to. Seeing as the expansion hasn't really allowed bigger, louder aircraft to operate, it has just meant those aircraft can be filled with passengers rather than freight. Given the historic use of the airport as a busy commercial airport, I would be surprised if many of the 1200 claiments got much if anything. disenfranchisedpast

12:27pm Sun 2 Feb 14

paintlad3 says...

Hear hear to that last coment!!
Hear hear to that last coment!! paintlad3

1:43pm Sun 2 Feb 14

chillyfeet says...

runwellian wrote:
Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home!

I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop?

Off to the estate agent!
Airport was there before you were born,why buy house in first place?
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: Very bad news, we are already woken early by these darn flights so I guess it is time to move home! I can appreciate the benefit to travellers but where does expansion stop? Off to the estate agent![/p][/quote]Airport was there before you were born,why buy house in first place? chillyfeet

11:08pm Sun 2 Feb 14

Cor Blimey says...

Keep the expansions coming to make way for an increase in destinations - great airport!
Keep the expansions coming to make way for an increase in destinations - great airport! Cor Blimey

9:44am Mon 3 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

disenfranchisedpast wrote:
Nebs wrote:
keepitreal wrote:
People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took
off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport.
Stop moaning an live with it.
also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc

your bored of moaning gits
Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise.
And the airport have constantly said they would meet their obligations for compensation, however the actual obligations differ quite significantly from what the nimbys believe they are entitled to.

Seeing as the expansion hasn't really allowed bigger, louder aircraft to operate, it has just meant those aircraft can be filled with passengers rather than freight.

Given the historic use of the airport as a busy commercial airport, I would be surprised if many of the 1200 claiments got much if anything.
They will be able to get a couple of things, an ear plug for each ear......PMSL
[quote][p][bold]disenfranchisedpast[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Nebs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]keepitreal[/bold] wrote: People of poncy leigh on sea and run down westcliff,for your thick brains when you buy a house that long bit of tar mcaddam is a runway. A runway is used by noisy things called aircraft that happen to fly. These aircraft take of from an airport which happened to be the 3rd busiest in the country when REALLy noisy piston engine planes took off carrying cars. I suggest you have a frank word with your solicitor or conveyancer who forgot to tell you of the airport. Stop moaning an live with it. also please bare in mind your holiday this year as if you do not like noise I suggest you stay at home as your car makes noise, the train makes noise etc your bored of moaning gits[/p][/quote]Quite right. Much the same as when you buy an airport and extend the runway your solicitor would have told you that you will need to compensate those affected by the noise.[/p][/quote]And the airport have constantly said they would meet their obligations for compensation, however the actual obligations differ quite significantly from what the nimbys believe they are entitled to. Seeing as the expansion hasn't really allowed bigger, louder aircraft to operate, it has just meant those aircraft can be filled with passengers rather than freight. Given the historic use of the airport as a busy commercial airport, I would be surprised if many of the 1200 claiments got much if anything.[/p][/quote]They will be able to get a couple of things, an ear plug for each ear......PMSL You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat

4:40pm Thu 6 Feb 14

DannyK86 says...

I love the airport, it's a shame it doesn't bring Leigh house prices down to make them more affordable though!
I love the airport, it's a shame it doesn't bring Leigh house prices down to make them more affordable though! DannyK86

12:37pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Tinkerbell's Friend says...

So this is where my £480: went when my partner was diagnosed with cancer and we had to cancel our Easy Jet flight only to Spain .Letter from Hospital specialist and myself trying to claim back our money resulted in sweet ******all , nothing ,not even a letter acknowleging receipt of letter
So this is where my £480: went when my partner was diagnosed with cancer and we had to cancel our Easy Jet flight only to Spain .Letter from Hospital specialist and myself trying to claim back our money resulted in sweet ******all , nothing ,not even a letter acknowleging receipt of letter Tinkerbell's Friend

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree