doc

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze at the Las Vegas Grill chip shop on Southend seafront.

Crews were called at about 8.10pm last night to a fire started by a faulty tumble drier in a room above the shop.

The chip shop was affected by water and smoke damage.

The fire was first tackled by crews using a ladder until the owner of the building arrived and opened the shutters allowing firefighters inside.

An Essex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the shop and using one hose reel jet and one dry powder fire extinguisher had extinguished the fire by 8.36pm.

"They then used a positive pressure fan to ventilate the property."