Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Man suffers severe burns in fire in Westcliff flat
8:40am Monday 2nd December 2013 in Southend
TWO men have been taken to hospital after a fire in Westcliff.
Firefighters rescued three people from flats in Ditton Court Road after a chip pan fire.
The fire started in a ground floor flat at 3.27am.
One man was found outside suffering severe burns to his hands and arms and smoke inhalation.
He had attempted to carry the pan outside and spilled burning fat on to himself.
Firefighters went into the converted three storey house and found a second man unconscious on a sofa in the flat.
A third man was rescued by firefighters via a ladder while three more residents escaped through a rear door and on to a flat roof.
The entire building was filled with smoke. The flames were extinguished by 4.16am.
Both men were taken to Southend Hospital for treatment.
Southend station officer Lee Burling said; "We urge people not to use chip pans, never attempt to carry a chip pan if it catches alight and to make sure everybody else is out. Shut the doors and call the fire brigade.
"It is also vital to have smoke alarms throughout a property and to have a fire escape plan."
Comments are closed on this article.