Odeon to remain open as second cinema comes to town

First published in Southend

THE ODEON in Southend is not closing say the firm in the light of proposals for a new multiplex cinema.

The Echo revealed this week Southend Council has agreed to proceed with the developer as a ‘special purchaser’ for Seaway car park off Lucy Road at a behind closed doors meeting of senior councillors.

It will lead the way for the regeneration of the area as part of a scheme known as St John’s Quarter - first mooted in 2005.

It has not been announced who the operator is but the Echo has contacted a number of the major cinema companies and can confirm its not the Odeon.

A spokeswoman for Odeon said: “ We have no plans to close the High Street Odeon and have no information about a new multiplex cinema for elsewhere in Southend.”

So residents and visitors to the town are set to have two cinemas to choose from.

A spokesperson for Cineworld said; “Here at Cineworld we are continually reviewing locations across the UK for the opportunity to open new cinemas and provide entertainment to local communities.

“At present there is no confirmation of plans to open a Cineworld at Seaway car park, Southend.”

Vue cinemas said it was not behind the plans.

The news of the redevelopment of the car park and a new cinema has been welcomed by town centre traders.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:43am Mon 21 Jan 13

Red Hand Gang says...

Only a matter of time before the Odeon is empty and a mess. What is with this council.
Only a matter of time before the Odeon is empty and a mess. What is with this council. Red Hand Gang
  • Score: 0

10:48am Mon 21 Jan 13

Alice in Her Own Land :P says...

The last thing this town needs is another cinema especially along the sea front where out door activities are needed, not indoor ones.
The last thing this town needs is another cinema especially along the sea front where out door activities are needed, not indoor ones. Alice in Her Own Land :P
  • Score: 0

12:17pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Pounder says...

But what outdoor activity would you have in mind that wasn't either going to be closed during winter months or opened but almost entirely abandoned because of the weather?
But what outdoor activity would you have in mind that wasn't either going to be closed during winter months or opened but almost entirely abandoned because of the weather? Pounder
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Mon 21 Jan 13

InTheKnowOk says...

Other options - indoor skating rink, bowling alley, indoor play area, roller skating, ANYTHING but another cinema which is not needed and will not attract any tourists or locals .. Look at the one on Canvey LOL, it's a cr@p hole, always empty ..
Other options - indoor skating rink, bowling alley, indoor play area, roller skating, ANYTHING but another cinema which is not needed and will not attract any tourists or locals .. Look at the one on Canvey LOL, it's a cr@p hole, always empty .. InTheKnowOk
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

emcee says...

Another cinema is a bad idea. This town cannot support two multiplex cinemas and to think it can is bordering on ignorance.
Even if a second multiplex did open and offered better facilities/value for money than the current Odeon, the Odeon could be forced to close and the town will be left with an empty "purpose built" cinema. This would cost a fortune to convert to another use and any costs of conversions/rents will mean it will remain empty for a long, lomg time.
It is about time the council looked at the long term situation of this town and not keep coming up with ridiculous "quick fix" schemes.
Another cinema is a bad idea. This town cannot support two multiplex cinemas and to think it can is bordering on ignorance. Even if a second multiplex did open and offered better facilities/value for money than the current Odeon, the Odeon could be forced to close and the town will be left with an empty "purpose built" cinema. This would cost a fortune to convert to another use and any costs of conversions/rents will mean it will remain empty for a long, lomg time. It is about time the council looked at the long term situation of this town and not keep coming up with ridiculous "quick fix" schemes. emcee
  • Score: 0

1:51pm Mon 21 Jan 13

tallblokerobbie says...

Great idea Southend Council! The main reason for the success of the restaurants and businesses in the top end of the High Street and now you want a competitor to upset the footfall. Sorry Odeon, you stuck with Southend throughout the past difficult years but my council wants another competitor to fund its fairy ideas with plain brown envelopes stuffed full of cash. The seafront is for tourists isn't it? How many people think to themselves ' I know, lets all go to the seaside to go and sit inside a cinema?'
Great idea Southend Council! The main reason for the success of the restaurants and businesses in the top end of the High Street and now you want a competitor to upset the footfall. Sorry Odeon, you stuck with Southend throughout the past difficult years but my council wants another competitor to fund its fairy ideas with plain brown envelopes stuffed full of cash. The seafront is for tourists isn't it? How many people think to themselves ' I know, lets all go to the seaside to go and sit inside a cinema?' tallblokerobbie
  • Score: 0

2:07pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Shrimpers Not Blues says...

The Odeon seems to fulfil the requirements for cinema goers in this town. Although I remember when the town had the Odeon where Barclays is now, The Ritz, The ABC and the Classic along London Road (now Halfords).

Perhaps an Ice Skating rink would be good for the town....or would that be deemed competition for Chelmsford and Romford?
The Odeon seems to fulfil the requirements for cinema goers in this town. Although I remember when the town had the Odeon where Barclays is now, The Ritz, The ABC and the Classic along London Road (now Halfords). Perhaps an Ice Skating rink would be good for the town....or would that be deemed competition for Chelmsford and Romford? Shrimpers Not Blues
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Pounder says...

As there isn't an ice skating rink in the town perhaps the success of one will be a bit unknown. Presumably they've researched the Odeon's figures and see that it's a business model that works in the town. With it being closer to the high street it may fare well in the summer months, less so in the winter.
As there isn't an ice skating rink in the town perhaps the success of one will be a bit unknown. Presumably they've researched the Odeon's figures and see that it's a business model that works in the town. With it being closer to the high street it may fare well in the summer months, less so in the winter. Pounder
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Pounder says...

As there isn't an ice skating rink in the town perhaps the success of one will be a bit unknown. Presumably they've researched the Odeon's figures and see that it's a business model that works in the town. With it being closer to the high street it may fare well in the summer months, less so in the winter.
As there isn't an ice skating rink in the town perhaps the success of one will be a bit unknown. Presumably they've researched the Odeon's figures and see that it's a business model that works in the town. With it being closer to the high street it may fare well in the summer months, less so in the winter. Pounder
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Mon 21 Jan 13

sosad 1 says...

why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think
why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think sosad 1
  • Score: 0

2:52pm Mon 21 Jan 13

sosad 1 says...

sosad 1 wrote:
why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think
what you say (cant have the grammer ! nazis after me)
[quote][p][bold]sosad 1[/bold] wrote: why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think[/p][/quote]what you say (cant have the grammer ! nazis after me) sosad 1
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Max Impact says...

sosad 1 wrote:
why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think
I have reported this comment to the echo.
[quote][p][bold]sosad 1[/bold] wrote: why dont sbc just say we are corrupt and we dont care what say or think[/p][/quote]I have reported this comment to the echo. Max Impact
  • Score: 0

3:20pm Mon 21 Jan 13

emcee says...

Shrimpers Not Blues wrote:
The Odeon seems to fulfil the requirements for cinema goers in this town. Although I remember when the town had the Odeon where Barclays is now, The Ritz, The ABC and the Classic along London Road (now Halfords).

Perhaps an Ice Skating rink would be good for the town....or would that be deemed competition for Chelmsford and Romford?
There were even more cinemas than that going back 50/60 years. However, most were only one screen so you went to the cinema that was showing the film you wanted to see. Some of these screens could seat well in excess of 1000 people.
Todays multiplex cimema sceens seat very few people because there just is not the patronage to fill 1000 seaters. DVDs (and videos before them), Satellite/Cable and On Demand sevices have put paid to that.
[quote][p][bold]Shrimpers Not Blues[/bold] wrote: The Odeon seems to fulfil the requirements for cinema goers in this town. Although I remember when the town had the Odeon where Barclays is now, The Ritz, The ABC and the Classic along London Road (now Halfords). Perhaps an Ice Skating rink would be good for the town....or would that be deemed competition for Chelmsford and Romford?[/p][/quote]There were even more cinemas than that going back 50/60 years. However, most were only one screen so you went to the cinema that was showing the film you wanted to see. Some of these screens could seat well in excess of 1000 people. Todays multiplex cimema sceens seat very few people because there just is not the patronage to fill 1000 seaters. DVDs (and videos before them), Satellite/Cable and On Demand sevices have put paid to that. emcee
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Nebs says...

As long as the cinema is designed so as it can easily be converted to flats then all will be well.
As long as the cinema is designed so as it can easily be converted to flats then all will be well. Nebs
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Mon 21 Jan 13

firedog says...

The council are not funding this,so what is the problem? If an ice rink was a profitable venture it would exist,if you think it would be.Sell your house and open one.
The council are not funding this,so what is the problem? If an ice rink was a profitable venture it would exist,if you think it would be.Sell your house and open one. firedog
  • Score: 0

4:28pm Mon 21 Jan 13

j-w says...

Silly to open another Cinema. not needed in Southend as already an Odeon but a lot of people already travel to Basildon as its standard seats are just as good as Southends premium ones.

Don't do it, it will be a white elephant.

In fact don't build anything. Nothing is needed here, build something where B+Q were.
Silly to open another Cinema. not needed in Southend as already an Odeon but a lot of people already travel to Basildon as its standard seats are just as good as Southends premium ones. Don't do it, it will be a white elephant. In fact don't build anything. Nothing is needed here, build something where B+Q were. j-w
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Mon 21 Jan 13

BASILBRUSH says...

Not sure we need a new cinema. But perhaps Odeon might up their game and clean and update the existing one. Would rather go to Bas Vegas with the Impact screen these days sadly.
Not sure we need a new cinema. But perhaps Odeon might up their game and clean and update the existing one. Would rather go to Bas Vegas with the Impact screen these days sadly. BASILBRUSH
  • Score: 1

5:08pm Mon 21 Jan 13

jayman says...

this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"
this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'" jayman
  • Score: 0

7:43pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Max Impact says...

jayman wrote:
this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"
I thought that:

The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning.

The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster.

A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"[/p][/quote]I thought that: The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning. The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster. A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you. Max Impact
  • Score: 0

8:39pm Mon 21 Jan 13

jayman says...

Max Impact wrote:
jayman wrote:
this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"
I thought that:

The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning.

The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster.

A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.
oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..?
[quote][p][bold]Max Impact[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"[/p][/quote]I thought that: The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning. The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster. A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.[/p][/quote]oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..? jayman
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Mon 21 Jan 13

jayman says...

jayman wrote:
Max Impact wrote:
jayman wrote:
this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"
I thought that:

The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning.

The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster.

A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.
oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..?
honestly! your opinions and political stance are at least a bit younger then the titanic sinking.

you truly are a politician...

I need a lay down after reading that response.
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Max Impact[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"[/p][/quote]I thought that: The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning. The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster. A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.[/p][/quote]oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..?[/p][/quote]honestly! your opinions and political stance are at least a bit younger then the titanic sinking. you truly are a politician... I need a lay down after reading that response. jayman
  • Score: 0

11:14pm Mon 21 Jan 13

Max Impact says...

jayman wrote:
jayman wrote:
Max Impact wrote:
jayman wrote:
this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"
I thought that:

The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning.

The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster.

A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.
oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..?
honestly! your opinions and political stance are at least a bit younger then the titanic sinking.

you truly are a politician...

I need a lay down after reading that response.
So if it is alright to joke about 1,517 people dying, is it alright to joke about the Word Trade Centre, kids with Cancer, kids with Down's Syndrome and people with mental health issues.

Why is it people like you who hate to be proven wrong treat people with so much disdain and contempt, just because they do not conform to your ideological utopia of automatons pre-programmed to obay your commands like lemmings.

Yet the programmer himself has faults and sends the lemmings off the edge of a cliff yet he forces the fault onto others, unable to admit his wrongs.

To joke about a disaster reveals an inner-self that will laugh at the less fortunate.

Shuch a shame, such a shame.


Your "joke" falls flat in the fact it was not in the slightest bit funny and the factual side of it is wrong on so many levels but are facts inprotant, I ask you that are they?
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Max Impact[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: this is the worst idea since the captain of the titanic, on one cold night out in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, turned to his second in command and said "maintain present course and speed, im off below deck to have fun with some of the peasant girls! and turn off the wireless. the crackle puts me off my 'anchor drop'"[/p][/quote]I thought that: The wireless on the Titanic was not turned off, it was in use at the time, it was actually the Californian that had it's radio switched off, this resulted in the Californian not picking up the news of the sinking until the morning. The Carpathia was further away from Titanic than the Californian was, but because they were following maritime law in having the radio on 24 hours a day they picked up the distress call and responded to the disaster. A disaster that you are attempting to make a joke out of shame on you.[/p][/quote]oh god, Mr impact, do pipe down. Has anyone on this thread got any aspirin! I mean, Really!..?[/p][/quote]honestly! your opinions and political stance are at least a bit younger then the titanic sinking. you truly are a politician... I need a lay down after reading that response.[/p][/quote]So if it is alright to joke about 1,517 people dying, is it alright to joke about the Word Trade Centre, kids with Cancer, kids with Down's Syndrome and people with mental health issues. Why is it people like you who hate to be proven wrong treat people with so much disdain and contempt, just because they do not conform to your ideological utopia of automatons pre-programmed to obay your commands like lemmings. Yet the programmer himself has faults and sends the lemmings off the edge of a cliff yet he forces the fault onto others, unable to admit his wrongs. To joke about a disaster reveals an inner-self that will laugh at the less fortunate. Shuch a shame, such a shame. Your "joke" falls flat in the fact it was not in the slightest bit funny and the factual side of it is wrong on so many levels but are facts inprotant, I ask you that are they? Max Impact
  • Score: 0

6:27am Tue 22 Jan 13

Essex Medja says...

I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life.
.
You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that?
I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life. . You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that? Essex Medja
  • Score: 0

4:15pm Tue 22 Jan 13

jolllyboy says...

I expect the Odeon will not last if this happens - does the council have plans for the Odeon site I wonder.?
I expect the Odeon will not last if this happens - does the council have plans for the Odeon site I wonder.? jolllyboy
  • Score: 0

5:27pm Tue 22 Jan 13

jayman says...

Essex Medja wrote:
I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life.
.
You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that?
Many comedians have told many jokes about the and titanic.

as for war/tragedy humour.

I suggest you write stern letters to the makers of black adder for having the audacity and disrespect to make a sitcom about one of the greatest losses of life in the British army's history. The same sitcom that taught more children about the war then any history lesson did. Best comedy ever if you ask me.

I suggest you write stern letters to everyone who is responsible for the 18,400,000 Google results for 'titanic comedy'

Don't pull the pathetic 'outrage card' just because max lost an argument and Southend Tory cabinet are about to to get booted out with great gusto and speed and disaffection..
[quote][p][bold]Essex Medja[/bold] wrote: I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life. . You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that?[/p][/quote]Many comedians have told many jokes about the and titanic. as for war/tragedy humour. I suggest you write stern letters to the makers of black adder for having the audacity and disrespect to make a sitcom about one of the greatest losses of life in the British army's history. The same sitcom that taught more children about the war then any history lesson did. Best comedy ever if you ask me. I suggest you write stern letters to everyone who is responsible for the 18,400,000 Google results for 'titanic comedy' Don't pull the pathetic 'outrage card' just because max lost an argument and Southend Tory cabinet are about to to get booted out with great gusto and speed and disaffection.. jayman
  • Score: 0

7:45pm Tue 22 Jan 13

Max Impact says...

Never voted tory, I like to annoy labour supporters and lib dems.

you vote red rag labour don't you?
Never voted tory, I like to annoy labour supporters and lib dems. you vote red rag labour don't you? Max Impact
  • Score: 0

9:43pm Tue 22 Jan 13

jayman says...

Max Impact wrote:
Never voted tory, I like to annoy labour supporters and lib dems.

you vote red rag labour don't you?
I'm not particular about political parties. I do however make a clear and negative exception when it comes to the Tory party.

I would like to see the Tory party disbanded as a political party/movement and see the establishment of a new centre right party that upholds the principles of ethics, moderation and responsibility at its core without all the nonsense of 'exclusive dinning societies', Etonian
old boys or Oxbridge ideological bulls##t within its fabric..
[quote][p][bold]Max Impact[/bold] wrote: Never voted tory, I like to annoy labour supporters and lib dems. you vote red rag labour don't you?[/p][/quote]I'm not particular about political parties. I do however make a clear and negative exception when it comes to the Tory party. I would like to see the Tory party disbanded as a political party/movement and see the establishment of a new centre right party that upholds the principles of ethics, moderation and responsibility at its core without all the nonsense of 'exclusive dinning societies', Etonian old boys or Oxbridge ideological bulls##t within its fabric.. jayman
  • Score: 0

1:25pm Wed 23 Jan 13

Walt Jabsco says...

jayman wrote:
Essex Medja wrote:
I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life.
.
You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that?
Many comedians have told many jokes about the and titanic.

as for war/tragedy humour.

I suggest you write stern letters to the makers of black adder for having the audacity and disrespect to make a sitcom about one of the greatest losses of life in the British army's history. The same sitcom that taught more children about the war then any history lesson did. Best comedy ever if you ask me.

I suggest you write stern letters to everyone who is responsible for the 18,400,000 Google results for 'titanic comedy'

Don't pull the pathetic 'outrage card' just because max lost an argument and Southend Tory cabinet are about to to get booted out with great gusto and speed and disaffection..
Totally off-topic I know, but if you watched and understood Blackadder Goes Forth properly, you'd understand the whole series was based on the terrible loss and disregard of life (of predominantly the lower and lower/middle classes) and in fact making it quite obvious who was responsible - the out of touch and ill-educated upper class. Still very relevant today ;-)
[quote][p][bold]jayman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Essex Medja[/bold] wrote: I agre with Max Impact, your NAAFI humour is at the least in bad taste and at worst reveals your disdain of human life. . You may now go on about REMFs, armchair warriors and chair seat polishers. BTW the memorial to the Titanic dead is in Southampton, care to make a joke about that?[/p][/quote]Many comedians have told many jokes about the and titanic. as for war/tragedy humour. I suggest you write stern letters to the makers of black adder for having the audacity and disrespect to make a sitcom about one of the greatest losses of life in the British army's history. The same sitcom that taught more children about the war then any history lesson did. Best comedy ever if you ask me. I suggest you write stern letters to everyone who is responsible for the 18,400,000 Google results for 'titanic comedy' Don't pull the pathetic 'outrage card' just because max lost an argument and Southend Tory cabinet are about to to get booted out with great gusto and speed and disaffection..[/p][/quote]Totally off-topic I know, but if you watched and understood Blackadder Goes Forth properly, you'd understand the whole series was based on the terrible loss and disregard of life (of predominantly the lower and lower/middle classes) and in fact making it quite obvious who was responsible - the out of touch and ill-educated upper class. Still very relevant today ;-) Walt Jabsco
  • Score: 0

6:33pm Wed 23 Jan 13

BinDipper says...

maybe if there is another cinema in Southend the competition will force the Odeon to review its daylight robbery pricing structure. I pick and choose my Odeon trips these days as it is far cheaper to wait a few months and get 4 or 5 new release DVDs for the price of one family trip to see a film (and that's before overpriced snacks and drinks). Bring on the competition!
maybe if there is another cinema in Southend the competition will force the Odeon to review its daylight robbery pricing structure. I pick and choose my Odeon trips these days as it is far cheaper to wait a few months and get 4 or 5 new release DVDs for the price of one family trip to see a film (and that's before overpriced snacks and drinks). Bring on the competition! BinDipper
  • Score: 0

11:53am Thu 24 Jan 13

beppo1 says...

I am sure the Odeon will be fine. It is in a very convenient place for those of us who do not have a car!!. Went to the Odeon on Tuesday...very comfortable...seat was only £5 and staff very friendly and polite.
I am sure the Odeon will be fine. It is in a very convenient place for those of us who do not have a car!!. Went to the Odeon on Tuesday...very comfortable...seat was only £5 and staff very friendly and polite. beppo1
  • Score: 0

2:38pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Metropol73 says...

On a similar vein, would you all be in favour of a revamp of the old ABC cinema, as a 2 screen independent cinema plus have capabilities to also use as a theatre and venue for shows/gigs. with the idea of renovating it back to its former glory. It will house film festivals, show old classics and new films, with an atmosphere which has been lost in the world of the multiplex. Would like any feedback.
On a similar vein, would you all be in favour of a revamp of the old ABC cinema, as a 2 screen independent cinema plus have capabilities to also use as a theatre and venue for shows/gigs. with the idea of renovating it back to its former glory. It will house film festivals, show old classics and new films, with an atmosphere which has been lost in the world of the multiplex. Would like any feedback. Metropol73
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree