Basildon Hospital is working hard to improve

Southend Standard: Clare Panniker Clare Panniker

WHEN Clare Panniker took over their reins at Basildon Hospital, she inherited a catalogue of failings.

From the day she started, in October, 2012, the former nurse knew the job was going to be far from easy She faced the glare of the media spotlight as the large number of needless deaths was investigated under the Government’s Keogh Review.

The hospital trust was one of 14 across the country to be placed in special measures and subject to regular and rigorous inspection and monitoring.

However, in less than two years, her leadership and committed staff have transformed the organisation from one plagued with controversy to a trust now rated “good” by the Care Quality Commission.

Thanks to the dedication, ambition and hardwork of Mrs Panniker and her team Basildon’s trust was the first to have the string of special measures sanctions removed.

Under the circumstances it might be tempting to ease off a little now, but Mrs Panniker remains determined as ever to continue improving standards.

She was met with cheers and tears of joy from staff at a lunchtime briefing as she revealed what she called “the start of a new exciting chapter”.

Mrs Panniker said: “For the staff it’s really motivating and encouraging. The really hard work they have put in has been recognised.

“This will actually do much more to improve things, because it is something really solid to build on. Our staff have worked tirelessly to raise standards and put care and compassion at the heart of everything we do.

“I’m pleased the CQC has noted the improvements we have made, but also recognise we still have more work to do to achieve our aim to be an outstanding hospital.”

Mrs Panniker is realistic, and admits it is unlikely Basildon Hospital will be rated “outstanding”

overall at its next CQC inspection, in three years time – no other trust in the country has to so so, yet She added: “I think it would be very ambitious to say we're going to do it in three years time, but I certainlywant to see more areas of our work achieve an ‘outstanding’ rating – as our maternity unit did this time.

“It’s really good to have achieved this in a short time, but there is a lot more to do.”

Her predecessor Alan Whittle finally gave in to calls to resign, after seeing the hospital go from scandal to scandal.

Glasgow-born Mrs Panniker, who now lives in London, came to Basildon with credentials which suggested she would be up to such a challenging job.

In the space of nine years, she turned around North Middlesex Hospital and oversaw the construction of new £123million building, When she started in 2003, North Middlesex had the worst MRSA infection rates in the country.

Mrs Panniker believes the quick turnaround at Basildon is down to the fact the trust started changing for the better soon after she arrived – not only because the trust was put in special measures.

She is now looking forward to a new era for the hospital and hopes it will become known for its success story rather than its historic failings.

Public confidence in the trust plunged in the wake of the Keogh Review, with the establishment of a Basildon branch of lobby group Cure the NHS and hundreds of families considering legal action against the hospital.

Mrs Panniker said: “I hope the CQC report gives a really positive message to the patients and the public – that this is a good hospital.

“We don’t get it 100 per cent right every time and I want to hear from people when we don’t, but I think this should boost confidence in the services we provide.”

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:33am Sat 14 Jun 14

Rich;'Carol says...

There has been so far 344 complaints this year with PALS already and last year in the first 6 months there was 351 so there's been no improvement what so ever. The hospital will never improve while they employ staff not capable of doing the job whatever dept. Whether they are doctors nurses cleaners technicians or consultants. Maybe they should start by kicking out all the staff that cannot talk English as a stepping stone to improve this disgusting hospital. You will not find a casualty dept in the uk as badly run with incapable staff that make incorrect decisions daily. The hospital is a disgusting place.
There has been so far 344 complaints this year with PALS already and last year in the first 6 months there was 351 so there's been no improvement what so ever. The hospital will never improve while they employ staff not capable of doing the job whatever dept. Whether they are doctors nurses cleaners technicians or consultants. Maybe they should start by kicking out all the staff that cannot talk English as a stepping stone to improve this disgusting hospital. You will not find a casualty dept in the uk as badly run with incapable staff that make incorrect decisions daily. The hospital is a disgusting place. Rich;'Carol
  • Score: -16

8:44am Sat 14 Jun 14

bazza 1 says...

Only this week my partner was sent a letter relating to a CT scan appointment, which included a form for having a blood test. The CT scan was correct, but had a date change on it from a previous form. The blood test was for someone else. Different name, different sex entirely. To sort it out she went to the department concerned and was told, Dont take any notice of the new date and keep to the date on the first letter. The blood test form was whisked out of her hand, and destroyed. As she was about to leave, another administrator told her that the date of her appointment had been changed and should turn up on the new date. Now this is only a sample of the mistakes that have been made regarding my partner and her ongoing treatment. God only knows what happens to other patients, because, most, like her, never make formal complaints about their treatment. Mistakes like this are serious to the patient, especially if you are being treated, as she is, for very serious illness.
Only this week my partner was sent a letter relating to a CT scan appointment, which included a form for having a blood test. The CT scan was correct, but had a date change on it from a previous form. The blood test was for someone else. Different name, different sex entirely. To sort it out she went to the department concerned and was told, Dont take any notice of the new date and keep to the date on the first letter. The blood test form was whisked out of her hand, and destroyed. As she was about to leave, another administrator told her that the date of her appointment had been changed and should turn up on the new date. Now this is only a sample of the mistakes that have been made regarding my partner and her ongoing treatment. God only knows what happens to other patients, because, most, like her, never make formal complaints about their treatment. Mistakes like this are serious to the patient, especially if you are being treated, as she is, for very serious illness. bazza 1
  • Score: 5

10:07am Sat 14 Jun 14

Rich;'Carol says...

bazza 1 wrote:
Only this week my partner was sent a letter relating to a CT scan appointment, which included a form for having a blood test. The CT scan was correct, but had a date change on it from a previous form. The blood test was for someone else. Different name, different sex entirely. To sort it out she went to the department concerned and was told, Dont take any notice of the new date and keep to the date on the first letter. The blood test form was whisked out of her hand, and destroyed. As she was about to leave, another administrator told her that the date of her appointment had been changed and should turn up on the new date. Now this is only a sample of the mistakes that have been made regarding my partner and her ongoing treatment. God only knows what happens to other patients, because, most, like her, never make formal complaints about their treatment. Mistakes like this are serious to the patient, especially if you are being treated, as she is, for very serious illness.
What you state is a daily occurrence, theres a 71 year old man who is in Basildon hospital very poorly, he was taken by ambulance to casualty during the week accompanied by his 69 year old sister and the wonderful casualty doctor diagnosed and prescribed incorrectly medication that made him collapse. He is still in there now and the African casualty doctor who can hardly speak English has not been suspended and is still seeing patients. How scary is that ???? HOW has Claire Pannicker improved the service of this hospital ??? Disgraceful !
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: Only this week my partner was sent a letter relating to a CT scan appointment, which included a form for having a blood test. The CT scan was correct, but had a date change on it from a previous form. The blood test was for someone else. Different name, different sex entirely. To sort it out she went to the department concerned and was told, Dont take any notice of the new date and keep to the date on the first letter. The blood test form was whisked out of her hand, and destroyed. As she was about to leave, another administrator told her that the date of her appointment had been changed and should turn up on the new date. Now this is only a sample of the mistakes that have been made regarding my partner and her ongoing treatment. God only knows what happens to other patients, because, most, like her, never make formal complaints about their treatment. Mistakes like this are serious to the patient, especially if you are being treated, as she is, for very serious illness.[/p][/quote]What you state is a daily occurrence, theres a 71 year old man who is in Basildon hospital very poorly, he was taken by ambulance to casualty during the week accompanied by his 69 year old sister and the wonderful casualty doctor diagnosed and prescribed incorrectly medication that made him collapse. He is still in there now and the African casualty doctor who can hardly speak English has not been suspended and is still seeing patients. How scary is that ???? HOW has Claire Pannicker improved the service of this hospital ??? Disgraceful ! Rich;'Carol
  • Score: -2

12:30pm Sat 14 Jun 14

Excel567 says...

Who is voting minus to comments but does not comment themselves?
Why is the echo turning out to by the media dept of Basildon Hospital?
I nearly died in this very hospital in 2013 totally because of mistakes, when I returned procedures had been tightened up checking everybody so many times, how has this deemed an improvement?
Who is voting minus to comments but does not comment themselves? Why is the echo turning out to by the media dept of Basildon Hospital? I nearly died in this very hospital in 2013 totally because of mistakes, when I returned procedures had been tightened up checking everybody so many times, how has this deemed an improvement? Excel567
  • Score: 0

1:10pm Sat 14 Jun 14

ThurrockResident says...

Talk is cheap, but then there has been no change I can see from 2010 when my dying elderly father was treated appallingly. Still a nasty, dirty hospital, full of death and infection. I had a botched op there in 1978 where I got an infection. Patients should be put first not cash. Why are men and women still on the same ward? Every week we hear dreadful stories, promises are made and yet nothing changes. I heard that
the Pharmacy is OK , but then there was a story the other week wasn't there?.
Talk is cheap, but then there has been no change I can see from 2010 when my dying elderly father was treated appallingly. Still a nasty, dirty hospital, full of death and infection. I had a botched op there in 1978 where I got an infection. Patients should be put first not cash. Why are men and women still on the same ward? Every week we hear dreadful stories, promises are made and yet nothing changes. I heard that the Pharmacy is OK , but then there was a story the other week wasn't there?. ThurrockResident
  • Score: -1

4:21pm Sat 14 Jun 14

leslog says...

had 2 spells in Basildon hospital recently ,excellent service from my point of view with foreign nurses very caring and considerate,the downside is admittance from accident and emergency to admission, the wait to get onto a ward,once seen on the ward everything fine with the nurses,more consultants should be available at weekends also
had 2 spells in Basildon hospital recently ,excellent service from my point of view with foreign nurses very caring and considerate,the downside is admittance from accident and emergency to admission, the wait to get onto a ward,once seen on the ward everything fine with the nurses,more consultants should be available at weekends also leslog
  • Score: 10

7:39pm Sat 14 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free smithy74
  • Score: 12

9:43pm Sat 14 Jun 14

denfish says...

smithy i echo your comments , was rushed into bas hospital recently with unknown condition , paramedics gave right diagnosis on 10 min journey to hospital, when i got there was treated with correct diagnosis , a water infection, was in for 4 days and was treated with utmost care , and consideration , even the food was half decent, good on you bas hospital
smithy i echo your comments , was rushed into bas hospital recently with unknown condition , paramedics gave right diagnosis on 10 min journey to hospital, when i got there was treated with correct diagnosis , a water infection, was in for 4 days and was treated with utmost care , and consideration , even the food was half decent, good on you bas hospital denfish
  • Score: 10

9:50pm Sat 14 Jun 14

bazza 1 says...

smithy74 wrote:
We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
[quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly. bazza 1
  • Score: 1

10:24pm Sat 14 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of smithy74
  • Score: 7

9:04am Sun 15 Jun 14

ThurrockResident says...

bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
Hear, hear! Some facilities, also are only at Basildon so you don't get much choice in the matter. You didn't get these infection/death/negl
ect reports about the now largely closed down Orsett Hospital.
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]Hear, hear! Some facilities, also are only at Basildon so you don't get much choice in the matter. You didn't get these infection/death/negl ect reports about the now largely closed down Orsett Hospital. ThurrockResident
  • Score: 1

9:28am Sun 15 Jun 14

bazza 1 says...

smithy74 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of
Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.
[quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of[/p][/quote]Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives. bazza 1
  • Score: 4

9:53am Sun 15 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,
I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously, smithy74
  • Score: 6

6:07pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Excel567 says...

smithy74 wrote:
I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,
Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact.
Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy.
No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it.
[quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,[/p][/quote]Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact. Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy. No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it. Excel567
  • Score: -3

11:04am Mon 16 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

Excel567 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,
Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact.
Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy.
No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it.
Nearly died there twice, well good on Basildon hospital for saving your life twice then,
[quote][p][bold]Excel567[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,[/p][/quote]Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact. Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy. No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it.[/p][/quote]Nearly died there twice, well good on Basildon hospital for saving your life twice then, smithy74
  • Score: 12

4:13pm Mon 16 Jun 14

bazza 1 says...

smithy74 wrote:
Excel567 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,
Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact.
Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy.
No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it.
Nearly died there twice, well good on Basildon hospital for saving your life twice then,
Smithy you are doing it again mate. People who are at deaths door because someone cocked up their treatment deserve a little bit of respect for the way they feel. Until it happens to you or some one close to you, you might see why they get a tad upset at a desk jockey telling them that things are on the up and up. Please stop with the crass replies to people who have been through a very bad experience. I doubt that you are really that callous, but that is the impression you are giving people.
[quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Excel567[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: I've been on end of treatment that maybe wasn't the best that could of been delivered but I don't believe the entire hospital or all staff are to blame for this, there are some very good staff there but it seems everyone wants to put down the hospital as a whole, I can only presume no one on here has ever made a human error in their lives, yes we pay NI contributions towards healthcare but do you really believe that covers entire cost, you just mentioned 3 different hospitals that you believe have bad reputations I think you would never be happy with treatment where ever you went, maybe look into the latest figures and instead of condemning hospital give it and staff a little support for putting right a lot of things that were wrong previously,[/p][/quote]Your missing the point. This Hospital was failing, fact. Some improvements have been made, suddenly all fine and dandy. No, it's the fact that the leadership believe all is well, that worries me, complancey which I can't spell is setting in already I nearly died twice here and it was complaceny that lead to it.[/p][/quote]Nearly died there twice, well good on Basildon hospital for saving your life twice then,[/p][/quote]Smithy you are doing it again mate. People who are at deaths door because someone cocked up their treatment deserve a little bit of respect for the way they feel. Until it happens to you or some one close to you, you might see why they get a tad upset at a desk jockey telling them that things are on the up and up. Please stop with the crass replies to people who have been through a very bad experience. I doubt that you are really that callous, but that is the impression you are giving people. bazza 1
  • Score: -4

4:28pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Rich;'Carol says...

denfish wrote:
smithy i echo your comments , was rushed into bas hospital recently with unknown condition , paramedics gave right diagnosis on 10 min journey to hospital, when i got there was treated with correct diagnosis , a water infection, was in for 4 days and was treated with utmost care , and consideration , even the food was half decent, good on you bas hospital
Sounds like you enjoyed your all inclusive holiday in Basildon hospital. So you was one of the lucky ones. 127 unnecessary deaths in Basildon hospital in 4 years. Whats you lottery numbers cos I will do them cos you a lucky person
[quote][p][bold]denfish[/bold] wrote: smithy i echo your comments , was rushed into bas hospital recently with unknown condition , paramedics gave right diagnosis on 10 min journey to hospital, when i got there was treated with correct diagnosis , a water infection, was in for 4 days and was treated with utmost care , and consideration , even the food was half decent, good on you bas hospital[/p][/quote]Sounds like you enjoyed your all inclusive holiday in Basildon hospital. So you was one of the lucky ones. 127 unnecessary deaths in Basildon hospital in 4 years. Whats you lottery numbers cos I will do them cos you a lucky person Rich;'Carol
  • Score: 2

4:33pm Mon 16 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

If I nearly died once at that hospital I wouldn't be going back there for a second time for bad treatment and because I will not agree with your veiws you don't like it, I can have my own opinion if you don't like my veiws that fine but I won't be changing them to please you, I think Bas hospital has improved, I've heard a lot of good stories lately, you don't know what me or my famliy have or have not been through so don't presume just because I'm happy with Bas hospital we haven't. Been through bad times I simply just don't feel need to share my life on here
If I nearly died once at that hospital I wouldn't be going back there for a second time for bad treatment and because I will not agree with your veiws you don't like it, I can have my own opinion if you don't like my veiws that fine but I won't be changing them to please you, I think Bas hospital has improved, I've heard a lot of good stories lately, you don't know what me or my famliy have or have not been through so don't presume just because I'm happy with Bas hospital we haven't. Been through bad times I simply just don't feel need to share my life on here smithy74
  • Score: 3

10:36pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Excel567 says...

It was the paramedics that saved me the first time that I owe a huge debt of gratitude and can not thank them enough smithy you clearly keep voting anything down that is critical and clearly either do work for pr of Basildon or should do.
As much as you are entitled to your opinion so am I , an will prove mine in a court of law
It was the paramedics that saved me the first time that I owe a huge debt of gratitude and can not thank them enough smithy you clearly keep voting anything down that is critical and clearly either do work for pr of Basildon or should do. As much as you are entitled to your opinion so am I , an will prove mine in a court of law Excel567
  • Score: -1

6:28am Tue 17 Jun 14

smithy74 says...

Excel567 wrote:
It was the paramedics that saved me the first time that I owe a huge debt of gratitude and can not thank them enough smithy you clearly keep voting anything down that is critical and clearly either do work for pr of Basildon or should do.
As much as you are entitled to your opinion so am I , an will prove mine in a court of law
That's right we are both entitled to our opinions, and because I'm happy with Basildon that means I work there or should haha, I don't not to vote as you say anything thing down, again you clearly don't like people not agreeing with you. Any way let's agree to disagree
[quote][p][bold]Excel567[/bold] wrote: It was the paramedics that saved me the first time that I owe a huge debt of gratitude and can not thank them enough smithy you clearly keep voting anything down that is critical and clearly either do work for pr of Basildon or should do. As much as you are entitled to your opinion so am I , an will prove mine in a court of law[/p][/quote]That's right we are both entitled to our opinions, and because I'm happy with Basildon that means I work there or should haha, I don't not to vote as you say anything thing down, again you clearly don't like people not agreeing with you. Any way let's agree to disagree smithy74
  • Score: 2

8:09pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Almeda11 says...

bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of
Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.
Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital.

lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction.
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of[/p][/quote]Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.[/p][/quote]Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital. lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction. Almeda11
  • Score: 1

7:10am Wed 18 Jun 14

bazza 1 says...

Almeda11 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of
Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.
Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital.

lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction.
Almeda. Sorry if I did not make it clear in my comments previously. I know you can request treatment at other hospitals via your GP. My point is, how do you know which hospital has a better record than your local hospital. Many of the nearest hospitals to Basildon, also have dubious records. Southend and Romford included. Or when you require immediate treatment, as many do, and are transported by ambulance. Try telling the driver of the ambulance to take you elsewhere. My partner had a serious fall about 5 years ago. The ambulance took her to Basildon. She had sustained a fracture to her spine which was not picked up at Basildon A and E, and sent home with me at 3 am in the morning, barely able to walk. This took years to get a resolution, and sorry, but no, choice of place of treatment is not always available all the time. Pre arranged appointments that are non urgent, maybe. But need a CT scan immediately, and you won't get a choice.
[quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of[/p][/quote]Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.[/p][/quote]Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital. lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction.[/p][/quote]Almeda. Sorry if I did not make it clear in my comments previously. I know you can request treatment at other hospitals via your GP. My point is, how do you know which hospital has a better record than your local hospital. Many of the nearest hospitals to Basildon, also have dubious records. Southend and Romford included. Or when you require immediate treatment, as many do, and are transported by ambulance. Try telling the driver of the ambulance to take you elsewhere. My partner had a serious fall about 5 years ago. The ambulance took her to Basildon. She had sustained a fracture to her spine which was not picked up at Basildon A and E, and sent home with me at 3 am in the morning, barely able to walk. This took years to get a resolution, and sorry, but no, choice of place of treatment is not always available all the time. Pre arranged appointments that are non urgent, maybe. But need a CT scan immediately, and you won't get a choice. bazza 1
  • Score: 2

4:20pm Thu 19 Jun 14

Almeda11 says...

bazza 1 wrote:
Almeda11 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote:
bazza 1 wrote:
smithy74 wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free
Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.
You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of
Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.
Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital. lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction.
Almeda. Sorry if I did not make it clear in my comments previously. I know you can request treatment at other hospitals via your GP. My point is, how do you know which hospital has a better record than your local hospital. Many of the nearest hospitals to Basildon, also have dubious records. Southend and Romford included. Or when you require immediate treatment, as many do, and are transported by ambulance. Try telling the driver of the ambulance to take you elsewhere. My partner had a serious fall about 5 years ago. The ambulance took her to Basildon. She had sustained a fracture to her spine which was not picked up at Basildon A and E, and sent home with me at 3 am in the morning, barely able to walk. This took years to get a resolution, and sorry, but no, choice of place of treatment is not always available all the time. Pre arranged appointments that are non urgent, maybe. But need a CT scan immediately, and you won't get a choice.
Bazza 1 -- Quite a lot of points there! lt is possible however to look up hospitals online, all over the uk, obviously when you are well enough not to need one immediately, just to take notes about hospital overall performance, death rates, as well as being able to look up any surgeons or consultants to see see their credentials and their performance.
l did this with one consultant recently, at Southend Hospital, and was able to read quite a bit about him, together with his photo, just type in the hospital`s name.

Re, ambulances, as in your partner`s case. Well, of course if a person has had an accident and needs an ambulance, they will usually just take them to the nearest hospital, and l think that`s how it should be, particularly life threatening cases like heart attack or stroke, when time is of the essence.

However, if it was a case of a burns victim, they are usually transported as soon as possible to a specialist burns unit, often a different hospital.

Re; CT scan, yes it`s true you won`t get a choice, but perhaps if you requested a different hospital initially, for an out-patient appt, then the scan could also be arranged and carried out there- worth a try.

l also am worried about the general state of hospitals in the uk.

From the APPALING so called " care" given to patients in Stafford hospital, where RECEPTIONISTS were making the initial diagnosis, to the nurses or health care assistants who deliberately put food and drink out of patients` reach, pure sadism in my opinion, to the nurses in Basildon hospital, a couple of years ago who either didn`t know how to use life saving equipment, or the equipment was dirty or broken.

And the arrogant doctors who again and again misdiagnose, and will not take patients` views seriously, and sometimes ending in death because of it, to the recent story in the Echo, about the two trainee paramedics who took FORTY minutes before they even started up the ambulance, while the woman inside was bleeding heavilly, they were not allowed to administer pain killers or intravenous drips, and owing to the time lapse this woman died, she was only 38 !!

Europe is much better than the uk, so is Thailand, there they are streets ahead of us in technology, time and compassion!

Absolutely unbelievable the things that go on in this country, even a top doctor recently, when asked for any advice to patients, his reply was " Don`t get ill" !!! Sad, but very true, things in the uk need a MAJOR overhaul, as well as a total change in attitude and culture, and l do not believe the nhs will survive in its current form !
[quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bazza 1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]smithy74[/bold] wrote: We have freedom of choice these days so do I presume all you Basildon hospital haters choose to go elsewhere? Or simply just slate hospital and all its staff but use it anyway and then just moan afterwards about how rubbish it is, im sure CQC didn't rate it's findings good just for the hell of it but haters will always be haters, I for one praise the staff that work long hours and don't get pay rises due to the NHS budget that is spent on care for patients for free[/p][/quote]Where do you get the idea that you can chose what hospital you go to? If you need to have a CT scan or an X ray, you are sent there by your doctor. Also it's personal opinions formed by the treatment people receive at the hospital. Nothing to do with hate. Of course the staff work long hours. Thats the nature of the job. What is unforgivable is that some people have been given very shoddy treatment in a hospital that is supposed to be a centre of excellence. I have personally seen both the good and the bad sides of this hospital. At the moment the bad outweighs the good by quite a lot. A neighbour who's 9 month old grandchild was sent home when suffering with meningitis, and went on to lose parts from three limbs, and gone blind. All because of misdiagnosis by the A and E department. By the way, treatment is not free. I paid for my healthcare with National Insurance payments for 45 years of my working life. As do my two sons, and their partners. Nothing is FREE . We pay for it dearly.[/p][/quote]You can request your GP send you to another hospital like for example Southend, you are not made to go Basildon and if I was you I would ask to go elsewhere if you find Basildon no good, yes we all pay our taxes but like America for example we are not charged for medical treatment, there's good and bad in every company job hospital etc etc, yes there has been some sad stories but there also plenty of good ones untold, it does make me chuckle when people moan about hospital then continue to go there for treatment and act nice to staff to their faces, if you are not happy with hospital Don't go there end of[/p][/quote]Sorry mate but there is no way you can validate poor treatment, and to say you can go to any hospital you want is crass in the extreme. Southend hospital has as bad a reputation as Basildon , as has the new Hospital in Romford. Also you don't seem to grasp the fact that we do pay for our healthcare. Not at point of contact, but by National Insurance payments. Your comment about "chuckling" about people moaning about the hospital is really not called for. Perhaps if you had been on the receiving end of bad, dangerous diagnosis for serious, life threatening illnesses, you would not be so Cavalier with your glib comments. People should be able to trust their physician is doing the right thing for them, and not making bad decisions that might affect them for the rest of their lives.[/p][/quote]Bazza1 --- l totally agree with your comments, especially about the fact that we do pay, through our NI insurance,and also the absolute right to expect good treatment at all times,including being seen on a weekend!, but on one point l disagree, and that is to do with choice of hospital. lt IS possible to get treated at another hospital either at your, or your GP`s request, My mother is 90 now, and in the past had been offered, twice, the option to go to another hospital to see a specialist, so this is a fact, not fiction.[/p][/quote]Almeda. Sorry if I did not make it clear in my comments previously. I know you can request treatment at other hospitals via your GP. My point is, how do you know which hospital has a better record than your local hospital. Many of the nearest hospitals to Basildon, also have dubious records. Southend and Romford included. Or when you require immediate treatment, as many do, and are transported by ambulance. Try telling the driver of the ambulance to take you elsewhere. My partner had a serious fall about 5 years ago. The ambulance took her to Basildon. She had sustained a fracture to her spine which was not picked up at Basildon A and E, and sent home with me at 3 am in the morning, barely able to walk. This took years to get a resolution, and sorry, but no, choice of place of treatment is not always available all the time. Pre arranged appointments that are non urgent, maybe. But need a CT scan immediately, and you won't get a choice.[/p][/quote]Bazza 1 -- Quite a lot of points there! lt is possible however to look up hospitals online, all over the uk, obviously when you are well enough not to need one immediately, just to take notes about hospital overall performance, death rates, as well as being able to look up any surgeons or consultants to see see their credentials and their performance. l did this with one consultant recently, at Southend Hospital, and was able to read quite a bit about him, together with his photo, just type in the hospital`s name. Re, ambulances, as in your partner`s case. Well, of course if a person has had an accident and needs an ambulance, they will usually just take them to the nearest hospital, and l think that`s how it should be, particularly life threatening cases like heart attack or stroke, when time is of the essence. However, if it was a case of a burns victim, they are usually transported as soon as possible to a specialist burns unit, often a different hospital. Re; CT scan, yes it`s true you won`t get a choice, but perhaps if you requested a different hospital initially, for an out-patient appt, then the scan could also be arranged and carried out there- worth a try. l also am worried about the general state of hospitals in the uk. From the APPALING so called " care" given to patients in Stafford hospital, where RECEPTIONISTS were making the initial diagnosis, to the nurses or health care assistants who deliberately put food and drink out of patients` reach, pure sadism in my opinion, to the nurses in Basildon hospital, a couple of years ago who either didn`t know how to use life saving equipment, or the equipment was dirty or broken. And the arrogant doctors who again and again misdiagnose, and will not take patients` views seriously, and sometimes ending in death because of it, to the recent story in the Echo, about the two trainee paramedics who took FORTY minutes before they even started up the ambulance, while the woman inside was bleeding heavilly, they were not allowed to administer pain killers or intravenous drips, and owing to the time lapse this woman died, she was only 38 !! Europe is much better than the uk, so is Thailand, there they are streets ahead of us in technology, time and compassion! Absolutely unbelievable the things that go on in this country, even a top doctor recently, when asked for any advice to patients, his reply was " Don`t get ill" !!! Sad, but very true, things in the uk need a MAJOR overhaul, as well as a total change in attitude and culture, and l do not believe the nhs will survive in its current form ! Almeda11
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree