Knife crime soars in Southend and Basildon according to these figures from Police Crime Commissioner Nick Alston

Knife crime soars in South Essex according to these figures

Knife crime soars in South Essex according to these figures

First published in Echo News
Last updated
by

THE number of knife crime incidents in South Essex has shot up by as much as 31 per cent in a year.

Essex Police and Crime Commissioner Nick Alston said education, community pressure, policing and sentencing needs to make it clear to residents that it is not acceptable for a person to carry a knife or weapon.

Latest figures given to The Echo show 31.1 per cent more knife crimes have occurred in Southend between March 2013 to February 2014, compared to the previous year. It amounts to 70 more incidents in the borough, boosting numbers from 225 to 295.

In Basildon, there has been an 18.1 per cent increase, which amounts to 31 more incidents. Between March 2013 and February this year there were 202 incidents, compared to 171 the previous year.

The figures far outstretch those across Essex, with the countywide figure increasing by 8.3 per cent - or 117 incidents.

Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups. I am working closely with the chief constable to ensure we fully understand the nature of these crime patterns.”

Of the 1127 knife crime offences where a knife was used across Essex, 46.2 per cent occurred in a private place and 53.8 per cent in public. Many of those occurring in private places will be cases of domestic abuse or, on occasion, drugs-related incidents where the parties are known to each other.

Around a quarter of the offences were for possession of a knife or bladed item.

Mr Alston added: “I will continue to support proactive policing to take weapons off our streets, and bring those carrying weapons to justice. As PCC, I will also continue to support the ethical and proportionate use of stop and search tactics to target those carrying weapons or dealing in drugs. I believe the vast majority of the people of Essex are in agreement with such an approach.”

Anyone with information about a person carrying a knife or knows that a violent act is likely to occur, should call Essex Police on 999 or 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:15am Thu 15 May 14

roger moore says...

not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.
not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad. roger moore
  • Score: -10

10:15am Thu 15 May 14

Jack222 says...

But lets go for paranoid and look at how many were killed and injured on essex roads - that's a lot more....
But lets go for paranoid and look at how many were killed and injured on essex roads - that's a lot more.... Jack222
  • Score: -9

10:19am Thu 15 May 14

supermadmax says...

The government wont do anything, It was on the other week that fanatical liberal extremist Nick Clegg was opposing tougher sentences for knife crime. Libdems are a danger to society and the sooner they vanish from mainstream politics the better.
The government wont do anything, It was on the other week that fanatical liberal extremist Nick Clegg was opposing tougher sentences for knife crime. Libdems are a danger to society and the sooner they vanish from mainstream politics the better. supermadmax
  • Score: 11

10:39am Thu 15 May 14

pembury53 says...

roger moore wrote:
not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.
very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....
[quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.[/p][/quote]very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself.... pembury53
  • Score: 1

1:53pm Thu 15 May 14

Nebs says...

How many of the 1127 offenders were sent to prison?
How many of the 1127 offenders were sent to prison? Nebs
  • Score: 10

2:17pm Thu 15 May 14

whateverhappened says...

pembury53 wrote:
roger moore wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.
very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....
REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups.

"desperate measures" you say ..
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.[/p][/quote]very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....[/p][/quote]REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups. "desperate measures" you say .. whateverhappened
  • Score: 2

5:06pm Thu 15 May 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

Out with a knife= 31 days in youth offenders prison
Shame that they get off scot free. We should be able to elect judges
Out with a knife= 31 days in youth offenders prison Shame that they get off scot free. We should be able to elect judges Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: 3

5:50pm Thu 15 May 14

LexyGirl says...

Jack222 wrote:
But lets go for paranoid and look at how many were killed and injured on essex roads - that's a lot more....
oh you silly man, they were accidents, being stabbed is hardly a case of mis judgement or error.
[quote][p][bold]Jack222[/bold] wrote: But lets go for paranoid and look at how many were killed and injured on essex roads - that's a lot more....[/p][/quote]oh you silly man, they were accidents, being stabbed is hardly a case of mis judgement or error. LexyGirl
  • Score: 7

6:38pm Thu 15 May 14

runwellian says...

supermadmax wrote:
The government wont do anything, It was on the other week that fanatical liberal extremist Nick Clegg was opposing tougher sentences for knife crime. Libdems are a danger to society and the sooner they vanish from mainstream politics the better.
Don't worry, we have an election coming up, and no doubt lots of promises from the lying plebs in parliaments!
[quote][p][bold]supermadmax[/bold] wrote: The government wont do anything, It was on the other week that fanatical liberal extremist Nick Clegg was opposing tougher sentences for knife crime. Libdems are a danger to society and the sooner they vanish from mainstream politics the better.[/p][/quote]Don't worry, we have an election coming up, and no doubt lots of promises from the lying plebs in parliaments! runwellian
  • Score: 1

6:39pm Thu 15 May 14

pembury53 says...

whateverhappened wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
roger moore wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.
very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....
REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups.

"desperate measures" you say ..
your point ? "changing demographics" = desperate and displaced due to tory policies
[quote][p][bold]whateverhappened[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.[/p][/quote]very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....[/p][/quote]REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups. "desperate measures" you say ..[/p][/quote]your point ? "changing demographics" = desperate and displaced due to tory policies pembury53
  • Score: -4

6:40pm Thu 15 May 14

runwellian says...

Knives are toys of cowards!
Knives are toys of cowards! runwellian
  • Score: 7

9:53pm Thu 15 May 14

alarminstaller says...

Mr Alston is a politically elected (Non attested Police Chief)
He is currently advertising for more staff to join his office of political appointments, it is a complete change of Policing unknown to this country by selecting one man to take decisions.
However inefficient it was at the old Police Authority was a group of elected people from all political parties which at least gave a debated and reasonably sensible democratic decision.
As for Nick Clegg forget him because he is a man currently practicing for a role in the new film 'The invisible man'
Mr Alston is a politically elected (Non attested Police Chief) He is currently advertising for more staff to join his office of political appointments, it is a complete change of Policing unknown to this country by selecting one man to take decisions. However inefficient it was at the old Police Authority was a group of elected people from all political parties which at least gave a debated and reasonably sensible democratic decision. As for Nick Clegg forget him because he is a man currently practicing for a role in the new film 'The invisible man' alarminstaller
  • Score: 0

11:54pm Thu 15 May 14

Seasider90 says...

While the politicians, judiciary and police are soft on knife crime more innocent people will die on our streets. Thugs know they will only get a slap on the wrist. What happened to 5 years in jail for carrying knives? The law abiding end up seriously injured or dead and their blood stains the hands of the ineffective police and judiciary controlled by our cowardly politicians.
While the politicians, judiciary and police are soft on knife crime more innocent people will die on our streets. Thugs know they will only get a slap on the wrist. What happened to 5 years in jail for carrying knives? The law abiding end up seriously injured or dead and their blood stains the hands of the ineffective police and judiciary controlled by our cowardly politicians. Seasider90
  • Score: 2

7:26am Fri 16 May 14

whateverhappened says...

pembury53 wrote:
whateverhappened wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
roger moore wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.
very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....
REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups. "desperate measures" you say ..
your point ? "changing demographics" = desperate and displaced due to tory policies
I'd imagine what he is trying to say is that there are more people in southend from countries where violence and weapon carrying is a even more everyday occurance then in britain. If anything a result of labour open door policies rather than goverment policy of trying to stop overinflated benefit hand outs to allandsundry.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whateverhappened[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]roger moore[/bold] wrote: not surprising really with the tory toffs cutting everything including the police people benefits etc..people are resorting to desperate measures just to survive but as long as the rich are ok thats all the tories care about. sad, very sad.[/p][/quote]very sad it is, but the fact that significant numbers of the poor continue to elect them is what is really really sad..... the biggest enemy of the british people is itself....[/p][/quote]REALLY! YAWN, TRY READING THIS QUOTE,Mr Alston said: “It is likely that part of this specific increase is due to the changing demographics of some of our communities, increased reporting of domestic abuse incidents, and police activity around organised criminal groups. "desperate measures" you say ..[/p][/quote]your point ? "changing demographics" = desperate and displaced due to tory policies[/p][/quote]I'd imagine what he is trying to say is that there are more people in southend from countries where violence and weapon carrying is a even more everyday occurance then in britain. If anything a result of labour open door policies rather than goverment policy of trying to stop overinflated benefit hand outs to allandsundry. whateverhappened
  • Score: 15

7:02am Sat 17 May 14

alarminstaller says...

We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations.

We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong.

Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH.

However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth.

You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!!
We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations. We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong. Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH. However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth. You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!! alarminstaller
  • Score: 5

6:53pm Sat 17 May 14

arram says...

knife crime will continue to rise unless the sentences are increased....communi
ty service is a waste of time...these young jobs think an asbo is a joke.....there are too many do-gooders involved with policing in general....there is no excuse for carrying a knife or another weapon for attack...many of these weapons are being brought into the country when coming back from holiday..Spain especially ....
knife crime will continue to rise unless the sentences are increased....communi ty service is a waste of time...these young jobs think an asbo is a joke.....there are too many do-gooders involved with policing in general....there is no excuse for carrying a knife or another weapon for attack...many of these weapons are being brought into the country when coming back from holiday..Spain especially .... arram
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Sat 17 May 14

ThisYear says...

alarminstaller wrote:
We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations.

We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong.

Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH.

However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth.

You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!!
"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth"

Which party is that?

It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it?
[quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations. We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong. Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH. However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth. You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!![/p][/quote]"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth" Which party is that? It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it? ThisYear
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Sun 18 May 14

alarminstaller says...

ThisYear wrote:
alarminstaller wrote:
We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations.

We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong.

Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH.

However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth.

You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!!
"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth"

Which party is that?

It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it?
Lost me there mate sorry.

However in this world of ever increasing knowledge perhaps you might advise me what party said that and when so then I can make man informed and accurate decision based on yor comment.

I am a flooring voter and have voted for most of the main stream parties.
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations. We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong. Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH. However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth. You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!![/p][/quote]"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth" Which party is that? It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it?[/p][/quote]Lost me there mate sorry. However in this world of ever increasing knowledge perhaps you might advise me what party said that and when so then I can make man informed and accurate decision based on yor comment. I am a flooring voter and have voted for most of the main stream parties. alarminstaller
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Sun 18 May 14

alarminstaller says...

Sorry the word is 'floating' voter not as my Ipad wishes to say.
Sorry the word is 'floating' voter not as my Ipad wishes to say. alarminstaller
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Sun 18 May 14

ThisYear says...

alarminstaller wrote:
ThisYear wrote:
alarminstaller wrote:
We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations.

We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong.

Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH.

However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth.

You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!!
"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth"

Which party is that?

It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it?
Lost me there mate sorry.

However in this world of ever increasing knowledge perhaps you might advise me what party said that and when so then I can make man informed and accurate decision based on yor comment.

I am a flooring voter and have voted for most of the main stream parties.
Ukip are in favour of privatising the NHS..

*The sound of Knuckles scraping on the floor*

Here come the naysayers...perhaps led by the Ukip pariah Ga-Ga Gandi
[quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alarminstaller[/bold] wrote: We now have no voice of discontentment other than through the ballot box which fortunately in this country is still tightly regulated and reasonably fair providing checks are made on multi occupant dwelling registrations. We have a pending election in the next few days, please stop complaining about the state of the nation we all know it has gone wrong. Now is the time to vote to show all politicians that enough REALLY IS ENOUGH. However much it goes against your normal voting choice the EU poll is a great chance to vote for the party that is not afraid to actually preach the truth and do what is correct before we have civil war on our streets with entire areas being controlled by political or religious mad men we need to vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth. You decide this time GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!![/p][/quote]"vote for party that is not afraid when it speaks the truth" Which party is that? It wouldn't be the one which would privatise the NHS would it?[/p][/quote]Lost me there mate sorry. However in this world of ever increasing knowledge perhaps you might advise me what party said that and when so then I can make man informed and accurate decision based on yor comment. I am a flooring voter and have voted for most of the main stream parties.[/p][/quote]Ukip are in favour of privatising the NHS.. *The sound of Knuckles scraping on the floor* Here come the naysayers...perhaps led by the Ukip pariah Ga-Ga Gandi ThisYear
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree