New sports area will wreck our reserve

First published in Echo News

RESIDENTS fear a new sports area will turn a peaceful nature reserve into a concrete jungle.

More than 160 people have signed a petition against a new skate park and multi-use games area between New Barge Pier Road and Gunners Rise, in Shoebury Garrison.

Planning officers have recommended Southend Council allow developer Country and Metropolitan to build the facility, which was a condition of its permission to build the 460-home Garrison estate.

But residents fear the facility, which will include a hard surface with markings for tennis, basketball and football, will attract yobs and vandals near the Shoebury Old Ranges nature reserve.

Mike Riley, 68, of Gunners Rise, said: “It will attract gangs of youths. Why create a nature park and then wreck it with this concrete jungle?

“That’s what’s going to happen, it happens everywhere else.”

The council agreed other community facilities, including a toddlers’ playground and a heritage centre, in March, but councillors will reconsider the sports area after concerns were raised about its impact on nearby wildlife.

The developer has moved the facility so it is mostly on existing hard standing and planners accept a new ecological report shows no major problems.

But now residents fear the area will cause noise, graffiti and antisocial behaviour in a quiet area.

Mr Riley, who disturbed a youth climbing on his second floor balcony a few weeks ago and whose neighbour suffered a similar incident, believes the games area should be sited closer to Hinguar Primary School, where it would be more accessible to the emergency services.

He said: “The primary objection from our point of view is the noise will be horrendous.

“People who use those kind of parks are not quiet, and understandably so.

“We have canvassed various people walking in the park. They aren’t teenagers, they are elderly folk or folk with young children, enjoying the park for what it was designed for.

“Why build a lake and then destroy the atmospheric vista of the area by building a multi-use games area that will be covered with graffiti?”

A Country and Metropolitan Homes spokesperson said: “The recreational area has been designed to be a safe and fun haven for local children to play in. This will include a new facility for wheeled sports, such as skate boarding or BMX.

“We will work closely with Southend Council to minimise any issues for residents, should they arise.”

Councillors will discuss the application in public at the Civic Centre from 2pm today.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:54pm Thu 8 May 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

Heaven forbid that kids have somewhere to go!
Is this the same people who don't want any flood defences? NIMBYS of the worst kind
Heaven forbid that kids have somewhere to go! Is this the same people who don't want any flood defences? NIMBYS of the worst kind Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: -7

3:58pm Thu 8 May 14

pembury53 says...

yep, better a bit noise from a squeaky skate, than a turd through your letter box..... give these kids a purpose, and safe haven, in which to congregate through the summer evenings....
yep, better a bit noise from a squeaky skate, than a turd through your letter box..... give these kids a purpose, and safe haven, in which to congregate through the summer evenings.... pembury53
  • Score: -10

4:27pm Thu 8 May 14

ShoeburyBlue says...

What's wrong with the skate park and basketball courts over at Shoebury Park it's not far and underutilised.

It just seems that between the Council and Country and Metropolitan Homes they really want to build there.
What's wrong with the skate park and basketball courts over at Shoebury Park it's not far and underutilised. It just seems that between the Council and Country and Metropolitan Homes they really want to build there. ShoeburyBlue
  • Score: 14

5:27pm Thu 8 May 14

Devils Advocate says...

Surely a park being used as a park has got to be better than what Basildon **** Billericay are doing with the people's parks in the new town! And the new houses on Gloucester park are definitely not "Affordable."
Surely a park being used as a park has got to be better than what Basildon **** Billericay are doing with the people's parks in the new town! And the new houses on Gloucester park are definitely not "Affordable." Devils Advocate
  • Score: 0

6:47pm Thu 8 May 14

shoess3 says...

What an idiot Mr Riley is. His solicitors should have picked up on the fact this has been coming for a long time, prior to buying his house in that area. He should also check the covenants in his deeds, clearly stating no planning permission can be objected to in the Garrison for at least 10 years from the date of purchase. This is something C&M homes could invoke if required. Additionally, what a silly response to build it nearer Hinguar school because its closer to emergency services. Does he think everyone using it will die of a heart attack?? Thankfully C&M homes don't own any land near Hinguar school (that's owned by Garrison Developments LLP). Get real; this has always been coming, more fool you buying next to a park where youths regularly hang around.
What an idiot Mr Riley is. His solicitors should have picked up on the fact this has been coming for a long time, prior to buying his house in that area. He should also check the covenants in his deeds, clearly stating no planning permission can be objected to in the Garrison for at least 10 years from the date of purchase. This is something C&M homes could invoke if required. Additionally, what a silly response to build it nearer Hinguar school because its closer to emergency services. Does he think everyone using it will die of a heart attack?? Thankfully C&M homes don't own any land near Hinguar school (that's owned by Garrison Developments LLP). Get real; this has always been coming, more fool you buying next to a park where youths regularly hang around. shoess3
  • Score: -7

9:06pm Thu 8 May 14

@shoeburygarriso says...

Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand.

Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he?

Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them.

If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard.

If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di
rect.gov.uk/petition
s/64218
Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand. Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he? Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them. If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard. If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di rect.gov.uk/petition s/64218 @shoeburygarriso
  • Score: 9

9:28pm Thu 8 May 14

shoess3 says...

@shoeburygarriso wrote:
Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand.

Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he?

Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them.

If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard.

If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di

rect.gov.uk/petition

s/64218
What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks.
[quote][p][bold]@shoeburygarriso[/bold] wrote: Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand. Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he? Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them. If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard. If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di rect.gov.uk/petition s/64218[/p][/quote]What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks. shoess3
  • Score: -6

9:58pm Thu 8 May 14

whateverhappened says...

@shoeburygarriso says...

"It's my park and only people i want to use it can so nernnerner"
@shoeburygarriso says... "It's my park and only people i want to use it can so nernnerner" whateverhappened
  • Score: 1

10:01pm Thu 8 May 14

Devils Advocate says...

Just out of interest. In my post (4 above) I used the Latin term for "With" between Basildon and Billericay. It was not an obscenity, probably more the mind of whoever programmed the Echo's censor programme.
Come on Echo, get with the programme!
Just out of interest. In my post (4 above) I used the Latin term for "With" between Basildon and Billericay. It was not an obscenity, probably more the mind of whoever programmed the Echo's censor programme. Come on Echo, get with the programme! Devils Advocate
  • Score: -1

10:58pm Thu 8 May 14

@shoeburygarriso says...

whateverhappened wrote:
@shoeburygarriso says...

"It's my park and only people i want to use it can so nernnerner"
My comments suggests a full public consultation, that's a democratic and proper way of doing things then all get the ability to air their views and opinions both for and against.
[quote][p][bold]whateverhappened[/bold] wrote: @shoeburygarriso says... "It's my park and only people i want to use it can so nernnerner"[/p][/quote]My comments suggests a full public consultation, that's a democratic and proper way of doing things then all get the ability to air their views and opinions both for and against. @shoeburygarriso
  • Score: 9

11:06pm Thu 8 May 14

@shoeburygarriso says...

shoess3 wrote:
@shoeburygarriso wrote:
Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand.

Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he?

Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them.

If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard.

If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di


rect.gov.uk/petition


s/64218
What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks.
Would you support the challenge to the council of two skate parks and this would then mean 3 skateparks within 1 mile of each other? The issue for me as one of your NIMBY residents is about proper consultation of the members of the public and residents that actually use the space, no more no less.
[quote][p][bold]shoess3[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]@shoeburygarriso[/bold] wrote: Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand. Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he? Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them. If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard. If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di rect.gov.uk/petition s/64218[/p][/quote]What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks.[/p][/quote]Would you support the challenge to the council of two skate parks and this would then mean 3 skateparks within 1 mile of each other? The issue for me as one of your NIMBY residents is about proper consultation of the members of the public and residents that actually use the space, no more no less. @shoeburygarriso
  • Score: 7

11:24pm Thu 8 May 14

shoess3 says...

@shoeburygarriso wrote:
shoess3 wrote:
@shoeburygarriso wrote:
Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand.

Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he?

Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them.

If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard.

If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di



rect.gov.uk/petition



s/64218
What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks.
Would you support the challenge to the council of two skate parks and this would then mean 3 skateparks within 1 mile of each other? The issue for me as one of your NIMBY residents is about proper consultation of the members of the public and residents that actually use the space, no more no less.
I agree, more than one in an area of that size is probably enough. Please don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting it is necessary or not. My point is the developer signed up to building it prior to the site gaining permission, and therefore must be held to satisfy the condition. I can quite see why Mr Riley is annoyed about people climbing on his property - that's unacceptable. And I'd almost understand his (and other residents') concern that the skate park is outside his house and would cause nuisance, if it were not for the fact he suggests moving the location to someone else's backyard. From other residents' perspective (even those not on the Garrison), it appears as though he's turned up, is enjoying his peaceful view and when something threatens it, says "go annoy someone else".
[quote][p][bold]@shoeburygarriso[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]shoess3[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]@shoeburygarriso[/bold] wrote: Nature reserves and skate parks do not seem to go hand in hand. Mr Rilley fighting for what he believes in how dare he? Extended planning searches showed no skate park in its current proposed location and C&M did not disclose these plans during the buying process they waited for all the properties to be sold (convenient some may say), then submitted the amendments. SBC want it moved to its new proposed location EWT don't want it at all, but as part of the deal they gain an office, classroom and other facilities maybe they are not as impartial as they operate in "Partnership" with SBC they have too much to loose. So no objections formally from them. If public opinion is so strong for the skate park and MUGA why does SBC just not undertake a proper public consultation, if the public local or otherwise think is a good place for such a thing then so be it. The residents and the park users (of which 167 signed a petition in one morning), just want their views to be heard. If you agree with a public consultation please have a look at http://epetitions.di rect.gov.uk/petition s/64218[/p][/quote]What I object to is the apparent NIMBY attitude of the Gunners Rise residents, who have in reality only just moved into the area. Moving the problem to the other side of the Garrison is not a solution. Either they want the skate park or not. As original Garrison residents, we knew the sports facilities were going to be built (they're part of the reason we are all able to live in such a wonderful place), and it doesn't take a genius to work out they were going on the concrete box section in the nature reserve. You'll also notice the new plans submitted for the new Gunners Park estate also include a skate park. Maybe that's the way to win over the council? i.e. argue the area doesn't need two skate parks.[/p][/quote]Would you support the challenge to the council of two skate parks and this would then mean 3 skateparks within 1 mile of each other? The issue for me as one of your NIMBY residents is about proper consultation of the members of the public and residents that actually use the space, no more no less.[/p][/quote]I agree, more than one in an area of that size is probably enough. Please don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting it is necessary or not. My point is the developer signed up to building it prior to the site gaining permission, and therefore must be held to satisfy the condition. I can quite see why Mr Riley is annoyed about people climbing on his property - that's unacceptable. And I'd almost understand his (and other residents') concern that the skate park is outside his house and would cause nuisance, if it were not for the fact he suggests moving the location to someone else's backyard. From other residents' perspective (even those not on the Garrison), it appears as though he's turned up, is enjoying his peaceful view and when something threatens it, says "go annoy someone else". shoess3
  • Score: 1

11:42pm Thu 8 May 14

shoess3 says...

Looking at a map, C&M have very few options after selling off all their land. The only other potential place is in Mess Road, near the Heritage Centre and new kids playground. Neither sound good for the residents nearby; maybe all should petition about whether its needed at all, or whether the developer should use the money on something else, like renovating the cricket pavilion or bringing another of the military buildings into use. To be perfectly honest I'll be glad when the developer signs over the site to us, the residents.
Looking at a map, C&M have very few options after selling off all their land. The only other potential place is in Mess Road, near the Heritage Centre and new kids playground. Neither sound good for the residents nearby; maybe all should petition about whether its needed at all, or whether the developer should use the money on something else, like renovating the cricket pavilion or bringing another of the military buildings into use. To be perfectly honest I'll be glad when the developer signs over the site to us, the residents. shoess3
  • Score: 7

7:49am Fri 9 May 14

sesibollox says...

I say build the skate park, the insects will soon find another new home....
I say build the skate park, the insects will soon find another new home.... sesibollox
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree