£80,000 grant for new play equipment at Wat Tyler

Southend Standard: Steve Prewer, front centre, with council staff and volunteers at the park Steve Prewer, front centre, with council staff and volunteers at the park

VISITORS to Wat Tyler Country Park will soon be able to make use of a new playground, thanks to a £80,000 grant.

The existing swings, slide, climbing frame and tunnels will be torn out to make way for replacement equipment.

The popular country park, in Pitsea, attracts more than 300,000 visitors a year, and staff said the well-used play area has become worn.

Basildon Council, which runs Wat Tyler, could not find money from its budget to fund the project, so waste firmVeolia stepped in to help.

Steve Prewer, manager of the park, said, “Our existing play equipment is so popular it has become necessary to replace it.

“At Wat Tyler Country Park we have a reputation for providing challenging and interesting apparatus and we are already deciding which equipment we will be installing to ensure its popularity among our visitors is maintained.

“We are very grateful to Veolia for making this possible through its continued support.”

It is hoped the new equipment will be in place by the summer holiday.

Kevin Blake, Tory councillor responsible for leisure and arts, said: “Wat Tyler is going from strength to strength.

“The play equipment hasn’t been abused like we’ve experienced in other parks, it has worn out because it has been used so much.

“I’m delighted we can replace it. Veolia has been a great supporter of Wat Tyler and I can’t thank it enough.”

Veolia North Thames Trust has handed out more than £1.5million to Wat Tyler over the past 14 years, including grants for the educational Green Centre, the miniature railway and security fencing.

The latest round of grants from the waste firm, which runs the tip next to the country park, also saw £13,800 given to Shotgate Parish Council, which will be used to regenerate Bawdsey Path.

The 4th Billericay Scout Group, based in Laindon Road, Billericay, has been given £2,000 of funding to set up a microgeneration scheme, which will allow them to produce their own electricity.

Doug Benjafield, chairman of Veolia North Thames Trust, said: “At Veolia, the trustees and I are continually receiving a large number of applications from local organisations, all of which are of an extremely high quality.

“We are very pleased that at our most recent meeting we were able to agree funding for more than 20 projects, all of which will have a positive impact on our local communities.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:30am Thu 1 May 14

TheWizzard says...

“I’m delighted we can replace it. Veolia has been a great supporter of Wat Tyler and I can’t thank it enough.”

Sandra Hillier is linked to this company, another pre election bribe for the locals. Another note - Little luke mackenzie who called disabled the great unwashed is standing in pitsea this election
“I’m delighted we can replace it. Veolia has been a great supporter of Wat Tyler and I can’t thank it enough.” Sandra Hillier is linked to this company, another pre election bribe for the locals. Another note - Little luke mackenzie who called disabled the great unwashed is standing in pitsea this election TheWizzard
  • Score: -1

12:06pm Thu 1 May 14

Bettycraven says...

What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.
What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants. Bettycraven
  • Score: 4

12:19pm Thu 1 May 14

sesibollox says...

Bettycraven wrote:
What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.
If your not happy go elsewhere
[quote][p][bold]Bettycraven[/bold] wrote: What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.[/p][/quote]If your not happy go elsewhere sesibollox
  • Score: -4

12:42pm Thu 1 May 14

sesibollox says...

Nice kindling for the yobs, too much, give 'em a swing and a cast iron roundabout
Nice kindling for the yobs, too much, give 'em a swing and a cast iron roundabout sesibollox
  • Score: 1

1:07pm Thu 1 May 14

pembury53 says...

sesibollox wrote:
Nice kindling for the yobs, too much, give 'em a swing and a cast iron roundabout
the iron horse, was always a favourite, for a trip to A&E
[quote][p][bold]sesibollox[/bold] wrote: Nice kindling for the yobs, too much, give 'em a swing and a cast iron roundabout[/p][/quote]the iron horse, was always a favourite, for a trip to A&E pembury53
  • Score: 4

1:07pm Thu 1 May 14

Bettycraven says...

sesibollox wrote:
Bettycraven wrote:
What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.
If your not happy go elsewhere
I did state that I do go elsewhere
[quote][p][bold]sesibollox[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bettycraven[/bold] wrote: What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.[/p][/quote]If your not happy go elsewhere[/p][/quote]I did state that I do go elsewhere Bettycraven
  • Score: 2

6:24pm Thu 1 May 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

Bettycraven wrote:
sesibollox wrote:
Bettycraven wrote: What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.
If your not happy go elsewhere
I did state that I do go elsewhere
Whatever!
[quote][p][bold]Bettycraven[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sesibollox[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bettycraven[/bold] wrote: What about the rubbish park in Gloucester park, apparently in my reply letter from the council the property developer of Gloucester park funded the play equipment for this park, where did they purchase it from? The 99p store! They obviously think it fits right in with basildon residents then. Sorry but I can walk to Gloucester park but I'd rather drive or bike ride else where as this park is pants.[/p][/quote]If your not happy go elsewhere[/p][/quote]I did state that I do go elsewhere[/p][/quote]Whatever! Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: 0

6:32pm Thu 1 May 14

Living the La Vida Legra says...

Took my dog there today! Fab place. So many poo boxes (well done ) nothing worse than walking for an hour holding a bag (Belfairs Woods) not worth a visit
If anyone has a good place to walk a dog? Leave a post thx
Took my dog there today! Fab place. So many poo boxes (well done ) nothing worse than walking for an hour holding a bag (Belfairs Woods) not worth a visit If anyone has a good place to walk a dog? Leave a post thx Living the La Vida Legra
  • Score: -1

8:38pm Thu 1 May 14

TheWizzard says...

Basildon Council, which runs Wat Tyler, could not find money from its budget to fund the project,

If it had been lake meadows they would have found the money
Basildon Council, which runs Wat Tyler, could not find money from its budget to fund the project, If it had been lake meadows they would have found the money TheWizzard
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree