A THUG who battered his ex-partner and then left her for dead, has been found guilty of attempted murder.

Matthew Sargent, 30, of no fixed address, punched Hayley Lowles to the floor, smashed an oven door over her head and then beat her while their seven-month-old son was in the next room. 

He then grabbed the baby and fled from her flat in Osier Drive, Noak Bridge- leaving her for dead. 

Brave Miss Lowles managed to drag herself from her top floor flat and out in to the street where passersby called the emergency services. 

Miss Lowles, who was aged 33 at the time, suffered critical facial and head injuries and was taken by ambulance to Basildon Hospital and later to a specialist London Hospital.

She has been left scars and life-long medical problems following the horrific attack on August 22 last year. 

Sargent had previously pleaded guilty to Section 18 Grievous Bodily Harm with intent, but was today found guilty of attempted murder by a jury at Basildon Crown Court, following a week long trial.

Senior Investigating Officer, Det Chief Insp Mark Hall, from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: "Sargent has shown himself to be a violent and manipulative man who battered the mother of his child and left her for dead.

"This was a brutal and sustained assault, which the victim was lucky to survive.

"Following the assault Sargentメs first thoughts were to how he could avoid arrest and conviction; telling a string of lies which were intended to deflect the police investigation away from him.

"Not once did he think to call for help for his victim, who he left alone with terrible injuries. This jury have clearly concluded that it was Sargentメs intention to kill the victim leaving his son without a mother.

"The victim has conducted herself with great dignity and courage throughout her ordeal. Whilst she is now recovering from her injuries, I am sure that the mental and physical scars from this brutal attack will live with her forever.

"I am pleased for her and her family that Sargent will now spend a considerable time in prison, despite the string of lies he told."

Sargent's sister, Emily Knowles, 28, pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice at a previous hearing. 

She washed her brother's bloodied clothes after the attack and hid them in her loft.

The pair will be senetnced on May 23.