Three elderly people conned out of thousands of pounds in phone scams in Southend and Canvey

Three elderly people conned out of thousands of pounds in phone scams

Three elderly people conned out of thousands of pounds in phone scams

First published in Echo News
Last updated
by , Senior reporter

POLICE have issued an urgent warning to people in south Essex area to be on guard against phone fraud after three elderly victims lost £13,000 in three days.

A man in his 80s in Leigh was tricked into handing over £5,000 on Tuesday, a woman in her 70s lost £3,000 on Wednesday and an elderly man in Southend handed over £5,000 on Thursday.

In all cases the victims were contacted by a man claiming to be a Metropolitan Police fraud squad officer based at Hammersmith who said he was investigating fraud at their respective banks.

The trickster claimed that he needed a large sum to be withdrawn from the local branches of the bank so that the banknotes could be forensically examined.

A total of 24 other people in the Rochford, Canvey and Southend areas have been called by the tricksters since Tuesday but realised that their claims were a scam and contacted police.

Southend district commander, Chief Inspector Matt Bennett, said: “The man at Leigh had already handed over £5,000 when the tricksters asked for another £9,000. His bank became concerned when he tried to make another large cash withdrawal and called police when they released what had happened.

"These are despicable crimes being carried by thieves posing as police fraud officers, the very people they ought to be able to turn to and trust in exactly this sort of crime.

“Instead, they callously prey on the elderly and vulnerable and have no thought for how their victims might suffer from the loss of money that might have been saved over many years.

"It is vital that whenever people receive this sort of call they should put the phone down and call us, but on another phone or mobile. Part of the con involves keeping people on the line while they pretend to transfer calls to police officers or bank officials.”

More than 640 similar thefts and attempted thefts have been reported in Essex since the scam first came to light in January 2013, and similar crimes have been reported in the Met Police area and other counties.

More than 100 people in Essex have been tricked out of money and the total stolen is more than £350,000. Six people have been arrested in connection with the investigation.

Remember:

• Police or bank officials would never call you by telephone you and ask for your full bank details or ask you to withdraw large sums of cash.

• If you think you have been a victim, call police from a different number.

• If you don’t have another phone, use a neighbour’s, or wait five minutes before dialling 101 or 999 (if urgent).

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:25pm Fri 21 Mar 14

niki-loo says...

so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside?
so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside? niki-loo
  • Score: -11

2:04pm Fri 21 Mar 14

carnmountyouknowitmakessense says...

niki-loo wrote:
so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside?
You need to go to spec savers, you got the wrong story dimwit...
[quote][p][bold]niki-loo[/bold] wrote: so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside?[/p][/quote]You need to go to spec savers, you got the wrong story dimwit... carnmountyouknowitmakessense
  • Score: 21

2:05pm Fri 21 Mar 14

niki-loo says...

carnmountyouknowitma
kessense
wrote:
niki-loo wrote:
so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside?
You need to go to spec savers, you got the wrong story dimwit...
no idea how that happened!
[quote][p][bold]carnmountyouknowitma kessense[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]niki-loo[/bold] wrote: so....the centre already has a car park. this was previously a bus stop so people couldn't drop of there anyway. Just lazy people who cant be bothered to walk from the car park. if you are dropping off an elderly or disables person and the car park is "too far away" how about help the person you are with inside?[/p][/quote]You need to go to spec savers, you got the wrong story dimwit...[/p][/quote]no idea how that happened! niki-loo
  • Score: -7

4:14pm Fri 21 Mar 14

runwellian says...

No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid! runwellian
  • Score: -11

5:52pm Fri 21 Mar 14

pembury53 says...

runwellian wrote:
No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid![/p][/quote]there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day..... pembury53
  • Score: 18

10:36pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Almeda11 says...

runwellian wrote:
No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
Well l AGREE with you and couldn`t care less if l also get the thumbs down !!

lt`s true, being old SHOULDN`T equate to being stupid, and anybody who seriously believes that it does is stupid themselves. l am 67, my mother is 90, and neither of us would fall for a scam like this, nor would we give personal bank details over the phone to someone claiming to be a bank employee.

l am always amazed that so many people of my age, or even younger fall for this crap, the Essex people must be a gillible lot if 100 were affected !!
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid![/p][/quote]Well l AGREE with you and couldn`t care less if l also get the thumbs down !! lt`s true, being old SHOULDN`T equate to being stupid, and anybody who seriously believes that it does is stupid themselves. l am 67, my mother is 90, and neither of us would fall for a scam like this, nor would we give personal bank details over the phone to someone claiming to be a bank employee. l am always amazed that so many people of my age, or even younger fall for this crap, the Essex people must be a gillible lot if 100 were affected !! Almeda11
  • Score: 1

11:35pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Kim Gandy says...

pembury53 wrote:
runwellian wrote:
No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....
Actually I agree and disagree.

Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired.

There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group.

How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous.

There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted.

Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway.
[quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid![/p][/quote]there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....[/p][/quote]Actually I agree and disagree. Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired. There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group. How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous. There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted. Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 0

7:48pm Mon 24 Mar 14

ThisYear says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
runwellian wrote:
No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....
Actually I agree and disagree.

Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired.

There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group.

How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous.

There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted.

Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway.
You wont ever have to worry about being parted from your money will you Kim?

You are as raggy-@rsed as the proverbial church mouse..
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid![/p][/quote]there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....[/p][/quote]Actually I agree and disagree. Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired. There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group. How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous. There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted. Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway.[/p][/quote]You wont ever have to worry about being parted from your money will you Kim? You are as raggy-@rsed as the proverbial church mouse.. ThisYear
  • Score: -1

10:17am Wed 26 Mar 14

Almeda11 says...

ThisYear wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
pembury53 wrote:
runwellian wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid!
there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....
Actually I agree and disagree. Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired. There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group. How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous. There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted. Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway.
You wont ever have to worry about being parted from your money will you Kim? You are as raggy-@rsed as the proverbial church mouse..
Thisyear --- Why the insults? l didn`t find anything objectional in HER comment, but yours is totally unbelievable, and of course, like most keyboard cowards you wouldn`t have the nerve to say that to her face would you? l really DESPISE cowards, and the internet, for all its virtues is turning too many people into wimps who can only be spiteful/nasty online, and l am getting sick of hearing it.
lf you can`t contribute something positive or offer a viewpoint on THE SUBJECT then best to say nothing at all, l`m pretty disgusted when the many gang up on one person, it`s called the sheep mentality, and it not an intelligent response.
[quote][p][bold]ThisYear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pembury53[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: No matter how many times you tell people about the scams, they still fall fro the old tricks, sadly i don't have much pity for them, being old doesn't mean you are stupid![/p][/quote]there's a difference between senile and stupid..... the fact is that age affects peoples faculties and powers of reason..... don't get too cocky, it could be you one day.....[/p][/quote]Actually I agree and disagree. Not every old person's faculties are that bad. It's only people with dementia or other debilitating diseases whose power of reasoning or judgement is impaired. There are a lot of people in their 70s and 80s who are extremely clued up. And on this occasion I have to say I agree with Runwellian. Age is no excuse or barrier for being stupid, if you have all your faculties and power of reasoning. There are stupid people in every age group. How on EARTH could anyone believe that they had to withdraw a large sum of money on a pretext of fraud? Ludicrous. There is an old saying: a fool and his money are soon parted. Most old people whose faculties are impaired have usually had their bank accounts subjected to a power of attorney by their families anyway.[/p][/quote]You wont ever have to worry about being parted from your money will you Kim? You are as raggy-@rsed as the proverbial church mouse..[/p][/quote]Thisyear --- Why the insults? l didn`t find anything objectional in HER comment, but yours is totally unbelievable, and of course, like most keyboard cowards you wouldn`t have the nerve to say that to her face would you? l really DESPISE cowards, and the internet, for all its virtues is turning too many people into wimps who can only be spiteful/nasty online, and l am getting sick of hearing it. lf you can`t contribute something positive or offer a viewpoint on THE SUBJECT then best to say nothing at all, l`m pretty disgusted when the many gang up on one person, it`s called the sheep mentality, and it not an intelligent response. Almeda11
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree