Don't let the rails be washed into the sea by storms

Southend Standard: Stormy weather - Peter Wexham fears for the railway in Leigh as weather worsens Stormy weather - Peter Wexham fears for the railway in Leigh as weather worsens

CALLS have been made to protect the railway at Leigh from the sea after recent storms caused enormous damage in Devon Peter Wexham, Lib Dem councillor for Leigh ward, fears the c2c-operated railway and the cinder path between Leigh and Chalkwell could suffer the same fate as the line at Dawlish in Devon, which was wiped out by a recent storm surge.

The Dawlish line is the main railway to the South West and Network Rail fears it will take at least six weeks to repair.

Network Rail owns the land in Leigh Mr Wexham says is being eroded.

He said: “It is time now Network Rail started meaningful talks with the Government and the Environment Agency about raising and protecting the railway and Cinder path between Leigh and Chalkwell.”

He warned the mud was being eroded while tides were getting higher and said Network Rail, needed to invest more in the line.

Mr Wexham said: “They have to protect the railway and need to see it as their problem. They own the land it is down to them.

“The hurricane of 1987 happened at low tide. We’ve seen the problems high tides can cause our sea walls at Shoebury and what happened at Dawlish is possible here in Leigh.

“Many thousands depend on the railway for work and they’d all have to go on the Liverpool Street line, if it did go. The power of the tide should not be underestimated in the right weather conditions.”

A Network Rail spokesman said: “We appreciate the concern raised by the councillor.

However, we can reassure him and the local community there are no problems with the existing infrastructure and we continue to monitor situation.

“In addition, there are Network Rail engineers looking after the route from ground level as well as flying the Network Rail helicopter overhead.

Comments (25)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:38pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Howard Cháse says...

Yes those massive Atlantic borne swells and hurricane strength winds whipping across the wide ocean and rampaging up the Thames Estuary area real worry aren't they?
Yes those massive Atlantic borne swells and hurricane strength winds whipping across the wide ocean and rampaging up the Thames Estuary area real worry aren't they? Howard Cháse

12:41pm Thu 13 Feb 14

stopmoaning1 says...

So has Mr Wrexham identified a problem the Network Rail engineers who continually monitor the situation have missed. If so, he needs to do more than just tell the local rag.
So has Mr Wrexham identified a problem the Network Rail engineers who continually monitor the situation have missed. If so, he needs to do more than just tell the local rag. stopmoaning1

12:47pm Thu 13 Feb 14

pembury53 says...

what a muppet...
what a muppet... pembury53

12:49pm Thu 13 Feb 14

DannyK86 says...

Cllr Wexham has no grasp of geography, it seems.
Cllr Wexham has no grasp of geography, it seems. DannyK86

1:07pm Thu 13 Feb 14

You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat says...

This is a tidal river, hardly the same as down on the South coast....Doh
This is a tidal river, hardly the same as down on the South coast....Doh You'dfeelbetterforknowingthat

1:18pm Thu 13 Feb 14

pembury53 says...

You'dfeelbetterforkn
owingthat
wrote:
This is a tidal river, hardly the same as down on the South coast....Doh
Now, that is more or less exactly what i said to the coast guard recently when i was advised to move to the other side of the road (western esplanade) 'for my own safety'..... to be fair though my hair was getting a bit wet....
[quote][p][bold]You'dfeelbetterforkn owingthat[/bold] wrote: This is a tidal river, hardly the same as down on the South coast....Doh[/p][/quote]Now, that is more or less exactly what i said to the coast guard recently when i was advised to move to the other side of the road (western esplanade) 'for my own safety'..... to be fair though my hair was getting a bit wet.... pembury53

1:28pm Thu 13 Feb 14

costa-del-blowfly says...

Where do they drag these councillors up from. This guy clearly has a very limited grip on geography and local recent history.

This part of the country is not impacted by the recent storms on the same way the South West of the country is. Also, I'm not aware that the North Sea tidal surge and accompanying strorn of 1953 swept away the train lines in to the Estuary.
Where do they drag these councillors up from. This guy clearly has a very limited grip on geography and local recent history. This part of the country is not impacted by the recent storms on the same way the South West of the country is. Also, I'm not aware that the North Sea tidal surge and accompanying strorn of 1953 swept away the train lines in to the Estuary. costa-del-blowfly

1:38pm Thu 13 Feb 14

robb789 says...

Talk about kill 2 birds with one stone - you will see the residents in Shoebury don't want this structure, would fit lovely down in Leigh

http://www.echo-news
.co.uk/news/11000223
.Wood_you_want_this_
_Campaigners_against
_Shoebury_sea_wall_c
reate_chipboard_mock
_up/?ref=mc
Talk about kill 2 birds with one stone - you will see the residents in Shoebury don't want this structure, would fit lovely down in Leigh http://www.echo-news .co.uk/news/11000223 .Wood_you_want_this_ _Campaigners_against _Shoebury_sea_wall_c reate_chipboard_mock _up/?ref=mc robb789

1:58pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Southchurchjon says...

Peter Wexham has quite clearly nothing better to do with his time. What a joke! Any elections imminent?
Peter Wexham has quite clearly nothing better to do with his time. What a joke! Any elections imminent? Southchurchjon

2:01pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Howard Cháse says...

If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......
If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers...... Howard Cháse

2:18pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Speedysnail says...

Time Peter Wrexham went back under his little rock again. Someone must have awaoke him from hibernation. What a dick!!!!
Time Peter Wrexham went back under his little rock again. Someone must have awaoke him from hibernation. What a dick!!!! Speedysnail

2:57pm Thu 13 Feb 14

allseeingeyes says...

Councillor Peter Wexham . What a disgrace.
You are still falsely claiming Mud Erosion even after you were told in council chambers that a SBC Paid Study and survey by an expert into this proved the exact opposite and there is in fact more mud on our foreshore. The worry is Council Leader Nigel Holdcroft puts you forward as the councils expert on anything to do with the foreshore.....
this is totally unacceptable and astonishingly disrespectful for those areas of the country that really are in need.
Time to throw in the towel
Councillor Peter Wexham . What a disgrace. You are still falsely claiming Mud Erosion even after you were told in council chambers that a SBC Paid Study and survey by an expert into this proved the exact opposite and there is in fact more mud on our foreshore. The worry is Council Leader Nigel Holdcroft puts you forward as the councils expert on anything to do with the foreshore..... this is totally unacceptable and astonishingly disrespectful for those areas of the country that really are in need. Time to throw in the towel allseeingeyes

3:26pm Thu 13 Feb 14

RochfordRob says...

The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it.

What a plank.
The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it. What a plank. RochfordRob

6:06pm Thu 13 Feb 14

ThisYear says...

RochfordRob wrote:
The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it.

What a plank.
I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there?
[quote][p][bold]RochfordRob[/bold] wrote: The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it. What a plank.[/p][/quote]I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there? ThisYear

6:08pm Thu 13 Feb 14

John T Pharro says...

It's not April 1st is it? Apart from all the above correct lampooning posts, cinder path, what cinder path. It is a Tarmac path. If you have got anything to complain about Councillor try getting the potholes filled.
It's not April 1st is it? Apart from all the above correct lampooning posts, cinder path, what cinder path. It is a Tarmac path. If you have got anything to complain about Councillor try getting the potholes filled. John T Pharro

6:09pm Thu 13 Feb 14

leighman says...

DannyK86 wrote:
Cllr Wexham has no grasp of geography, it seems.
That...And reality!
[quote][p][bold]DannyK86[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wexham has no grasp of geography, it seems.[/p][/quote]That...And reality! leighman

8:21pm Thu 13 Feb 14

Feminism is Dead says...

Travel on the Liverpool Street line instead of c2c? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes
Travel on the Liverpool Street line instead of c2c? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes Feminism is Dead

9:38pm Thu 13 Feb 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

Howard Cháse wrote:
If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......
Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.
[quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......[/p][/quote]Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem. DogsMessInLeigh

9:39pm Thu 13 Feb 14

DogsMessInLeigh says...

....ohh and leave it to the experts Pete, don't panic.
....ohh and leave it to the experts Pete, don't panic. DogsMessInLeigh

11:31am Fri 14 Feb 14

Happy Chickie says...

Feminism is Dead wrote:
Travel on the Liverpool Street line instead of c2c? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes
Hahah I know. I'd rather die in a plane crash than take the Liverpool street line.
[quote][p][bold]Feminism is Dead[/bold] wrote: Travel on the Liverpool Street line instead of c2c? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes[/p][/quote]Hahah I know. I'd rather die in a plane crash than take the Liverpool street line. Happy Chickie

1:19pm Fri 14 Feb 14

DannyK86 says...

DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote:
If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......
Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.
Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!!
[quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......[/p][/quote]Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.[/p][/quote]Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!! DannyK86

1:35pm Fri 14 Feb 14

RochfordRob says...

ThisYear says...

RochfordRob wrote:
The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it.

What a plank.
I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there?

Seems bores are like buses, I mention one and bingo, another one turns up.

Now then Master Troll, what relevance is your comment to the story?

None as usual.

Any chance you can take what is left of your pony (and trap) and have a spin down on ther beach (at high tide)

Thanks.

ps are you suggesting the (misonformed) councillor is a degenerate? for that is what you wrote or do you deny it?

I might refer him to your comment. Should be interesting.

Until then, you know the drill, back under the bridge - go on, shoo !
ThisYear says... RochfordRob wrote: The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it. What a plank. I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there? Seems bores are like buses, I mention one and bingo, another one turns up. Now then Master Troll, what relevance is your comment to the story? None as usual. Any chance you can take what is left of your pony (and trap) and have a spin down on ther beach (at high tide) Thanks. ps are you suggesting the (misonformed) councillor is a degenerate? for that is what you wrote or do you deny it? I might refer him to your comment. Should be interesting. Until then, you know the drill, back under the bridge - go on, shoo ! RochfordRob

5:59pm Fri 14 Feb 14

Roger of Leigh says...

DannyK86 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote:
If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......
Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.
Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!!
I wrote to this paper 20 years ago about dogs fouling the cinder path, I received a threatening phone call and a package of dogs mess on my doorstep! How emotive dog poo can be!
[quote][p][bold]DannyK86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......[/p][/quote]Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.[/p][/quote]Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!![/p][/quote]I wrote to this paper 20 years ago about dogs fouling the cinder path, I received a threatening phone call and a package of dogs mess on my doorstep! How emotive dog poo can be! Roger of Leigh

6:22pm Fri 14 Feb 14

ThisYear says...

RochfordRob wrote:
ThisYear says...

RochfordRob wrote:
The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it.

What a plank.
I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there?

Seems bores are like buses, I mention one and bingo, another one turns up.

Now then Master Troll, what relevance is your comment to the story?

None as usual.

Any chance you can take what is left of your pony (and trap) and have a spin down on ther beach (at high tide)

Thanks.

ps are you suggesting the (misonformed) councillor is a degenerate? for that is what you wrote or do you deny it?

I might refer him to your comment. Should be interesting.

Until then, you know the drill, back under the bridge - go on, shoo !
Au contraire I actually rule out he being what you are..it would seem the trebles you boasted of drinking, provided by taxpayers money, has compromised your comprehension of what you read...

But Wasn't you here under another name before being removed for using filthy innuendo on a thread about a young girl.. and for foul swearing on over 10 different threads..there you have your other degenerate..you under this guise and under the other banned guise...consistent in your degeneracy..

I know you feel trolled..but anyone using such terms on a thread about a young girl and dreadful foul language across threads should do..totally disgusting...no wonder even the lackadaisical Echo banned you.
[quote][p][bold]RochfordRob[/bold] wrote: ThisYear says... RochfordRob wrote: The only bore on this Estuary is the councillor by the look of it. What a plank. I wonder what sort of a pension he is on...and if he sickeningly gloats about it....nah..couldn't be two such degenerates about could there? Seems bores are like buses, I mention one and bingo, another one turns up. Now then Master Troll, what relevance is your comment to the story? None as usual. Any chance you can take what is left of your pony (and trap) and have a spin down on ther beach (at high tide) Thanks. ps are you suggesting the (misonformed) councillor is a degenerate? for that is what you wrote or do you deny it? I might refer him to your comment. Should be interesting. Until then, you know the drill, back under the bridge - go on, shoo ![/p][/quote]Au contraire I actually rule out he being what you are..it would seem the trebles you boasted of drinking, provided by taxpayers money, has compromised your comprehension of what you read... But Wasn't you here under another name before being removed for using filthy innuendo on a thread about a young girl.. and for foul swearing on over 10 different threads..there you have your other degenerate..you under this guise and under the other banned guise...consistent in your degeneracy.. I know you feel trolled..but anyone using such terms on a thread about a young girl and dreadful foul language across threads should do..totally disgusting...no wonder even the lackadaisical Echo banned you. ThisYear

7:23pm Sat 15 Feb 14

stopmoaning1 says...

Roger of Leigh wrote:
DannyK86 wrote:
DogsMessInLeigh wrote:
Howard Cháse wrote:
If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......
Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.
Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!!
I wrote to this paper 20 years ago about dogs fouling the cinder path, I received a threatening phone call and a package of dogs mess on my doorstep! How emotive dog poo can be!
Yes, particularly when you introduce it in to a story about the sea eroding the railway embankment away
[quote][p][bold]Roger of Leigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DannyK86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DogsMessInLeigh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Howard Cháse[/bold] wrote: If he's lucky it might wash away all the dogcrap that hasn't been picked up by lazy dog emptiers......[/p][/quote]Good one, a nice sluice down with salty water along the path will work wonders, then once gone, ban dogs from going along the path (Leigh to Chalkwell) a total blanket ban will solve the Turd minefield problem.[/p][/quote]Why are dogs not already banned? Or at least a dog turd patrol car version of the parking patrol cars... if it issues on the spot fines down there the council would make a fortune!![/p][/quote]I wrote to this paper 20 years ago about dogs fouling the cinder path, I received a threatening phone call and a package of dogs mess on my doorstep! How emotive dog poo can be![/p][/quote]Yes, particularly when you introduce it in to a story about the sea eroding the railway embankment away stopmoaning1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree