MP speaks out over mental health services in south Essex

AN MP has condemned mental health services in south Essex after receiving “constant criticism”

about them from constituents.

David Amess, MP for Southend West, has called for the Government to take action against South Essex Partnership Trust after a series of complaints to healthcare watchdogs failed to achieve results.

The Torywas also critical of the mental health trust’s leadership, questioning the rise of former chief executive Dr Patrick Geoghegan, who started his career as a hospital porter.

Mr Amess made his comments in a House of Commons debate in which he called for action.

Mr Amess, who was MP for Basildon before moving to Southend West in 1997, said: “For anyone who wants to know, mental health services in my area were headed until last month by Dr Patrick Geoghegan.

“When I was the MP for Basildon, he was a hospital porter.

I am not sure how someone goes from being a hospital porter to being the chief executive – I think he was paid £230,000 – but I could go on and on about it.

“He took retirement last month, but the culture continues. He has been replaced by his long-serving deputy. That situation is simply not good enough.

“I have complained to Monitor, the Care Quality Commission and the Health Service Ombudsman, but I seem to be getting absolutely nowhere, so I ask the Deputy Leader of the House to have a word with the Minister of State at the Department of Health to see whether he can be more robust on the issue.”

The trust’s mental health services have been criticised a number of times over recent years.

The Echo revealed the trust carried out internal investigations into the unexpected deaths of 15 patients in the year up to 2010.

A total of 13 psychiatrists left the trust that year, with three sending damning letters to colleagues.

The trust has confirmed it has received complaints from Mr Amess, but said all had been dealt with according to official procedures.

The trust defended its record and Dr Geoghegan’s record as chief executive.

A spokeswoman said: “South Essex Partnership Trust has previously received complaints from Mr Amess on behalf of his constituents, the nature of which is covered under patient confidentiality and therefore cannot be disclosed.

“The trust has always valued the expertise and front-line clinical experience which Professor Dr Patrick Geoghegan was able to bring to his role as the chief executive, before retiring earlier this year with over 36 years NHS clinical and leadership experience.

“The trust responds appropriately to all complaints received within the formal NHS complaints procedure and encourages any questions or concerns to be raised through this process.”

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:04pm Tue 24 Dec 13

Kim Gandy says...

The CQC are useless. They only pick up "cosmetic faults" and, like Social Services, fail to act when they need to.

And I know of at least one staff member of this quango who was out snorting cocaine at the weekend. Not in my company obviously but I know it happened.

It has been reported.
The CQC are useless. They only pick up "cosmetic faults" and, like Social Services, fail to act when they need to. And I know of at least one staff member of this quango who was out snorting cocaine at the weekend. Not in my company obviously but I know it happened. It has been reported. Kim Gandy

3:16pm Tue 24 Dec 13

LoopyLou88 says...

theres probably more people its failed - but they haven't complained so the numbers probably like a lot higher.
theres probably more people its failed - but they haven't complained so the numbers probably like a lot higher. LoopyLou88

4:24pm Tue 24 Dec 13

John Bull 40 says...

Why would anyone go to David Amess with a problem, he is the problem.
Why would anyone go to David Amess with a problem, he is the problem. John Bull 40

5:34pm Tue 24 Dec 13

runwellian says...

Mr Amess the MP that runs and hides in hairdresser shops when questioned about his expenses dares to criticise mental health care?
Patrick Geoghegan never hid form anyone, his door was always open!
He was not a coward like you Mr Amess and he got his facts right before spewing such rubbish out He doesn't own two houses paid and have all his expenses and buy sweets fro his kids paid for by tax payers money!

So Mr Amess how much do you know about mental health care, when you you ever make an attempt to visit a ward / department?

What a wally you are, you talk about 2010, things have changed drastically year on year, new wards and departments have opened, old Runwell is now demolished, (not that you have ever made an effort to visit) dorms are replaced with single en suit bedrooms, man you live in cloud cuckoo land.

I would have thought the least you would have done is got your facts right or made a visit before spilling out the rubbish that we have come to expect from you!

Surely a long serving deputy is better than a stranger who knows nothing of the hard work that has gone into mental health? the job was advertised and ll the procedures followed to ensure the appointment was a fair one, supported by the public governors of the Trust.

Every service can be criticised because they services have to be paid for, and it is your government that always cuts mental health budgets first. Perhaps you should be honest and tell the public how much you have cut SEPTs budget last year and this year … and the years to come? Your government is indeed the last to criticise mental health when it just steals money from the service!

SEPT has shelves full of awards for excellent service, how many have you got Mr Amess?

SEPT has for many years been voted at the top for being the best service, the best employer, what have you been voted as 'top' for Mr Amess, the best plonker that does not care a hoot about mental health care, but is quick to blab your mouth at a topic you know nothing about!

You should be ashamed of yourself Mr Amess, do your homework first, get your facts right and get off your backside and go and see the excellent care you are so quick to criticise!

Your government cut the budget for mental health so can I suggest you visit SEPT and see first hand the effects of your budget cuts?

I don't work for SEPT, I am a patient and have been since the days that you still wore nappies, I am so mad at your very unjust comments that I would like to kick you where the sun doesn't shine!
Mr Amess the MP that runs and hides in hairdresser shops when questioned about his expenses dares to criticise mental health care? Patrick Geoghegan never hid form anyone, his door was always open! He was not a coward like you Mr Amess and he got his facts right before spewing such rubbish out He doesn't own two houses paid and have all his expenses and buy sweets fro his kids paid for by tax payers money! So Mr Amess how much do you know about mental health care, when you you ever make an attempt to visit a ward / department? What a wally you are, you talk about 2010, things have changed drastically year on year, new wards and departments have opened, old Runwell is now demolished, (not that you have ever made an effort to visit) dorms are replaced with single en suit bedrooms, man you live in cloud cuckoo land. I would have thought the least you would have done is got your facts right or made a visit before spilling out the rubbish that we have come to expect from you! Surely a long serving deputy is better than a stranger who knows nothing of the hard work that has gone into mental health? the job was advertised and ll the procedures followed to ensure the appointment was a fair one, supported by the public governors of the Trust. Every service can be criticised because they services have to be paid for, and it is your government that always cuts mental health budgets first. Perhaps you should be honest and tell the public how much you have cut SEPTs budget last year and this year … and the years to come? Your government is indeed the last to criticise mental health when it just steals money from the service! SEPT has shelves full of awards for excellent service, how many have you got Mr Amess? SEPT has for many years been voted at the top for being the best service, the best employer, what have you been voted as 'top' for Mr Amess, the best plonker that does not care a hoot about mental health care, but is quick to blab your mouth at a topic you know nothing about! You should be ashamed of yourself Mr Amess, do your homework first, get your facts right and get off your backside and go and see the excellent care you are so quick to criticise! Your government cut the budget for mental health so can I suggest you visit SEPT and see first hand the effects of your budget cuts? I don't work for SEPT, I am a patient and have been since the days that you still wore nappies, I am so mad at your very unjust comments that I would like to kick you where the sun doesn't shine! runwellian

5:53pm Tue 24 Dec 13

tac123 says...

Seriously, this Tory is complaining about nepotism! Is he for real? He is a self promoting rat!
Seriously, this Tory is complaining about nepotism! Is he for real? He is a self promoting rat! tac123

6:27pm Tue 24 Dec 13

heartbeat says...

Is there somewhere that publishes the rate of suicide per capita in different parts of the UK? That might go some way to showing how the Mental Health Services in this area are performing compared with other areas. I have personally heard a lot of negative things about the help given to vulnerable people in this area who are at their wits end and it would be interesting to see some meaningful data.

Maybe David Amess was selflessly carrying out a study of doorway sleeping conditions for people with mental health issues in the town when he unfortunately appeared to be trying to hide from the press.
Is there somewhere that publishes the rate of suicide per capita in different parts of the UK? That might go some way to showing how the Mental Health Services in this area are performing compared with other areas. I have personally heard a lot of negative things about the help given to vulnerable people in this area who are at their wits end and it would be interesting to see some meaningful data. Maybe David Amess was selflessly carrying out a study of doorway sleeping conditions for people with mental health issues in the town when he unfortunately appeared to be trying to hide from the press. heartbeat

7:17pm Tue 24 Dec 13

John Bull 40 says...

tac123 wrote:
Seriously, this Tory is complaining about nepotism! Is he for real? He is a self promoting rat!
Please stop insulting rats.
[quote][p][bold]tac123[/bold] wrote: Seriously, this Tory is complaining about nepotism! Is he for real? He is a self promoting rat![/p][/quote]Please stop insulting rats. John Bull 40

8:30pm Tue 24 Dec 13

Hannah Foster says...

While I have absolutely no time for Mr Amess, I do know from personal experience that for whatever reason SEPT is not fit for purpose for the vast majority of the people that depend upon support for their mental health. Having been discharged from receiving any support despite being assessed by them as having substantial care and support needs I know this for a fact. They are turning people like myself away from their services because they have not 'recovered' within a prescribed period of time. They wash their hands of the most vulnerable people in society at the first opportunity and some of their staff shouldn't be left with the responsibility for caring for animals let alone human beings. Now when I have a crisis I have to rely on my GP for support, he doesn't have the time or resources and even when he asked SEPT for an emergency appointment they failed to respond. I have asked a number of times and am still waiting 3 months later. When people kill themselves in a state of utter hopelessness people ask why and SEPT 'investigate' themselves behind closed doors. Whoever is ultimately responsible has an awful lot of suffering and misery to answer for.
While I have absolutely no time for Mr Amess, I do know from personal experience that for whatever reason SEPT is not fit for purpose for the vast majority of the people that depend upon support for their mental health. Having been discharged from receiving any support despite being assessed by them as having substantial care and support needs I know this for a fact. They are turning people like myself away from their services because they have not 'recovered' within a prescribed period of time. They wash their hands of the most vulnerable people in society at the first opportunity and some of their staff shouldn't be left with the responsibility for caring for animals let alone human beings. Now when I have a crisis I have to rely on my GP for support, he doesn't have the time or resources and even when he asked SEPT for an emergency appointment they failed to respond. I have asked a number of times and am still waiting 3 months later. When people kill themselves in a state of utter hopelessness people ask why and SEPT 'investigate' themselves behind closed doors. Whoever is ultimately responsible has an awful lot of suffering and misery to answer for. Hannah Foster

1:46am Wed 25 Dec 13

Ed Woods says...

Once upon a time the Conservatives would encourage people to better themselves and would hail Dr Patrick Geoghegan rising through the ranks from a hospital porter as a success story rather than snear at his humble beginnings.

David Ames encapsulates everything that is wrong with the modern Conservative party. What an arrogant to55er. We all have to start somewhere and some of us don't hide when awkward questions are asked.
Once upon a time the Conservatives would encourage people to better themselves and would hail Dr Patrick Geoghegan rising through the ranks from a hospital porter as a success story rather than snear at his humble beginnings. David Ames encapsulates everything that is wrong with the modern Conservative party. What an arrogant to55er. We all have to start somewhere and some of us don't hide when awkward questions are asked. Ed Woods

12:17pm Thu 26 Dec 13

jayman says...

I haven't read such loathsome comments from a Tory regarding mental health care since Enoch Powells 'water tower's speech.

There are two things I wouldn't trust a Tory with

1) the NHS
2) everything else
I haven't read such loathsome comments from a Tory regarding mental health care since Enoch Powells 'water tower's speech. There are two things I wouldn't trust a Tory with 1) the NHS 2) everything else jayman

3:27pm Thu 26 Dec 13

Discouraged says...

Justifiable concern about a very guarded service that scans the media for criticism and will attempts to silence opposition. Shame is: the concern was expressed by a self serving, over eating, Basildon deserting, excessive claiming non-entity.
Justifiable concern about a very guarded service that scans the media for criticism and will attempts to silence opposition. Shame is: the concern was expressed by a self serving, over eating, Basildon deserting, excessive claiming non-entity. Discouraged

4:58pm Fri 27 Dec 13

runwellian says...

SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT! runwellian

5:55pm Fri 27 Dec 13

Hannah Foster says...

runwellian wrote:
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT![/p][/quote]I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made. Hannah Foster

4:25pm Sun 29 Dec 13

runwellian says...

Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.
Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money!

Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that.

Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts.

I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care!

SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress!
[quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT![/p][/quote]I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.[/p][/quote]Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money! Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that. Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts. I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care! SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress! runwellian

6:26pm Sun 29 Dec 13

Hannah Foster says...

runwellian wrote:
Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.
Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money!

Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that.

Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts.

I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care!

SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress!
I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT![/p][/quote]I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.[/p][/quote]Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money! Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that. Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts. I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care! SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress![/p][/quote]I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful. Hannah Foster

4:02pm Mon 30 Dec 13

runwellian says...

Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.
Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money!

Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that.

Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts.

I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care!

SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress!
I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful.
I didn't assume anything!
[quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT![/p][/quote]I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.[/p][/quote]Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money! Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that. Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts. I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care! SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress![/p][/quote]I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful.[/p][/quote]I didn't assume anything! runwellian

4:36am Fri 3 Jan 14

Hannah Foster says...

runwellian wrote:
Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
Hannah Foster wrote:
runwellian wrote:
SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available.

Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year!

Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds?

Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT!
I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.
Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money!

Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that.

Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts.

I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care!

SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress!
I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful.
I didn't assume anything!
Er, you patronisingly 'suggested that I take my complaint through thr correct channels' which, as I said, I did. SEPT is not remotely transparent, if you believe that you will believe anything. Take for example the letter sent out to patients not so long ago that their service was moving to more convenient facilities to allow it to be integrated with the rest of society!! The truth; because of their profligacy at the Taylor Centre the service has run out of money for the rent and will be crammed into tiny claustrophobic offices across the road where social workers have to travel in for every appointment, wasting hours of their precious tme (half the time they seem incapable of doing this). There no rooms for emergency appointments because they have cut back to the bone. The waiting rooms is enough to send a mentally well person into a panic attack, the staff don't know what is going on, there are no keys available to get into rooms, when you do there are no chairs. It is utterly unfit for purpose. My original point still stands, I am not saying that money isn't an issue, clearly it is but this fiasco of an organisation is so far up its own behind that someone with a clear head, some common sense and a little bit of humanity needs to step in. The most vulnerable people in society are being handed a very raw deal here.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hannah Foster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: SEPT can only meet the demands for services it is paid to provide, unfortunately the Conservative government always cuts the budgets for mental health year on year, so the services that are greatly needed cannot be funded unless staff get paid, the cost of services met, and the facilities made available. Mental health care does NOT have a bottomless purse thanks to the conservatives, but at the same time, SEPT has not overspent and always managed its budget excellently. Back office staff were cut to meet the latest government funding cuts, so before Mr A-mess criticises the service, perhaps he would like to give SEPT back the million or so pounds they are supposed to make in saving year on year! Mr A-mess, just think how many of the services you criticise, could be provided with a million pounds? Before anyone asks, no I am not employed by SEPT![/p][/quote]I am sorry but you are wrong , as well as being supposedly treated by SEPT I also know a number of staff who say that it is badly managed and run and these are staff that have worked in the service through many years and changes. Of course money is an issue but so to is the attitude of a substantial proportion of the staff. As a person with severe mental health problems I have been told by a social worker that I am nothing more than a file in a large pile. My complaints are ignored, I am not treated with respect or understanding and while there are regular calls for things to change in hospitals, psychiatric care is ignored. The short comings must be exposed and fully examined so that changes can be made.[/p][/quote]Change costs money, more staff cost money, staff struggle to cope due to shortages of staff … that cost money! Nothing in this world is perfect and no matter how much money is poured into a service,ite always need more. It is so frustrating to want to give our best and help folk when the budget isn't there to do that. Every service has good an bad staff and complaints cannot be ignored if they are dealt with through the right channels. if you are not satisfied with a response, SEPT give you the details to take your complaint to the PHSO, a right open to every patient. SEPT has always been open and transparent, and as for me supposedly being treated by SEPT, I am Runwell's longest surviving patient, first treat in July 1955, seen more changes than (and improvements) despite the conservatives budget cuts. I suggest you take your complaints back to SEPT via the correct channels and see the results … results that will never come via an MP who has never shown an iota of interest in mental health care! SEPT has now introduced its own Recovery College, run fro patients, by patients, now that is real progress![/p][/quote]I have taken my complaints through the official channels, a little rude of you to assume that I hadn't and even with advocacy from outside the service I received a very poor response. On top of that I have quite literally begged for the help that I was told by SEPT and the NICE guidlines that I should receive. I am glad that some people receive the help that they need but I know more people that have been failed than helped. As I pointed out in my initial comment I have no time for politicians but that doesn't t detract from the fact that something needs to be done. I have had experience of Runwell, Rochford and Basildon hospitals over the years and I would say that the whole system is very much a lottery and that is not how such a vital service should operate. Who ever shines a light on that and for whatever reason I am grateful.[/p][/quote]I didn't assume anything![/p][/quote]Er, you patronisingly 'suggested that I take my complaint through thr correct channels' which, as I said, I did. SEPT is not remotely transparent, if you believe that you will believe anything. Take for example the letter sent out to patients not so long ago that their service was moving to more convenient facilities to allow it to be integrated with the rest of society!! The truth; because of their profligacy at the Taylor Centre the service has run out of money for the rent and will be crammed into tiny claustrophobic offices across the road where social workers have to travel in for every appointment, wasting hours of their precious tme (half the time they seem incapable of doing this). There no rooms for emergency appointments because they have cut back to the bone. The waiting rooms is enough to send a mentally well person into a panic attack, the staff don't know what is going on, there are no keys available to get into rooms, when you do there are no chairs. It is utterly unfit for purpose. My original point still stands, I am not saying that money isn't an issue, clearly it is but this fiasco of an organisation is so far up its own behind that someone with a clear head, some common sense and a little bit of humanity needs to step in. The most vulnerable people in society are being handed a very raw deal here. Hannah Foster

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree