Fire wrecked derelict house, caused chaos as firefighters put it out and saw one elderly woman evacuated...but 12-year-old who started it just gets a caution (From Southend Standard)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Fire wrecked derelict house, caused chaos as firefighters put it out and saw one elderly woman evacuated...but 12-year-old who started it just gets a caution
10:00am Saturday 2nd November 2013 in Echo News
A 12-YEAR-OLD has been given a caution for arson after he started a blaze in a derelict house in Southend.
The youth was arrested in August after starting the fire in Southchurch Avenue, near the Kursaal building.
Another 12-year-old and a 17-year-old were also arrested over the incident, but will not face any action.
A huge crowd gathered to watch four fire crews spend more than an hour putting out the fire, while a woman from a nearby property was rescued.
The house had been derelict for years and residents demanded to know what was going to be done with it.
A police spokesman said: “A 12-yearold boy from Southend has received a caution for arson.
The two others arrested and bailed have been released from bail with no further action to be taken.”
George Fentiman, from developer the Inner London Group, which owns three derelict homes in the road, said the company wants to demolish them as soon as it can, but it needs to own a fourth property before it can do so.