Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Deadly disease nearly killed our dog
12:20pm Wednesday 2nd October 2013 in Echo News
DOG owners are being urged to get their animals vaccinated against a deadly disease to prevent it spreading in south Essex.
Staff at Cherrydown Vets in Cherrydown West, Basildon, are encouraging people to get their dogs inoculated against the highly infectious parvo virus after seeing their first case earlier this month.
Fourteen-week-old British bulldog Lola was rushed into the surgery two weeks ago after her owners reported she was suffering from severe diarrhoea and was refusing to eat or drink.
Despite undergoing a week of intensive care and numerous test and X-rays Lola’s condition continued to deteriorate.
It was only following blood tests that veterinary staff made the diagnosis and were forced to give Lola extra strength medication not suitable for puppies to save her life.
The puppy has since made a full recovery and her owner Jason Savage is urging pet owners to get their animals protected against the disease.
Mr Savage, 28, from Kipling Avenue, Tilbury said: “It was horrible. It was like a rollercoaster ride, one minute she was fine the next minute her health was rapidly going downhill.
“It was so scary for us because at one point we were even having to consider whether or not to have her put down.
“We had Lola vaccinated, but she had it too young which is why they think it didn’t stop her contracting the disease because her immune system hadn’t properly developed.
“But without a doubt if she hadn’t been vaccinated she would have died. Owners who do not get their pets vaccinated are putting other dogs at risk.
“It is so contagious and can spreadveryeasily to otherdogs.”
The disease kills around 90 per cent of dogs who contract the illness and is particularly lethal to puppies.
Symptoms include vomiting, fever, diarrhoea, and lethargy.
The virus can be spread from dog to dog and can be contracted from contaminated dog faeces.
Shawn Plunkett, assistant practice manager at Cherrydown, said: “Parvo Virus is fatal in around up to 90 per cent of dogs, particularly puppies and around the country we are hearing of more cases.
“Lola is very fortunate to have survived. It is so important owners get their pets vaccinated.”
Comments are closed on this article.