Fire crews called to smole-logged towerblock

First published in Echo News

Fire crews were called to a towerblock after a fire started in a bin room.

They arrived at Sutton Court, in Pantile Avenue, Southend, to find that smoke had travelled up the bin chute and onto each floor.

Officers first put out the fire which had started in a wheelie bin at about 8.10pm.

They then spent 25 minutes opening the windows and ventilating each floor but no one was evacuated.

The fire is not being treated as suspicious.

It is believed somebody accidentally put something hot in the bin chute.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree