Southend PCSO Julie’s bike lock foils sex suspect’s escape

Chain of command – PCSO Julie McFadden locked a suspect’s getaway bike to railings

Chain of command – PCSO Julie McFadden locked a suspect’s getaway bike to railings

First published in News by

A QUICK-THINKING PCSO helped police snare a suspected sex attacker by chaining his getaway bike to park railings with a new lock.

The suspect thought he had given a police helicopter and pursuing officers the slip when he returned to pick up the bike he had used to get to Southchurch Hall Park, Southend.

But supersleuth Julie McFadden knew he would return to it, so borrowed a bike lock to scupper his attempts to escape.

She lay in wait with other officers to capture him as he frantically tried to unlock his bike.

Julie, 46, who has been a police community support officer for seven years, said: “He got the biggest shock. He thought he had got away, but then he had a puzzled look on his face. Hewas looking up the road and back at his bike wondering who had locked his bike up.

“It was a bit of creativity and it’s quite funny. There was a police helicopter flying around and officers on the roads, yet something so simple managed to apprehend him.”

Police were called to reports a man was exposing himself in an area off Park Lane on Sunday.

PCs Ben Lever and Rebecca Wells were first on the scene and tried to arrest him, but he ran off.

A major search began, but Julie had another plan and police pretended to call off the search in the hope the man would return for the bike. Hours later, he did and after a chase through an alleyway he was caught.

Julie added: “It was neighbourhood policing at its best. We had support from all of Essex Police and it was real teamwork.”

Ms McFadden was praised by her bosses for her actions. Chief Insp Simon Anslow, district commander for Southend, said: “Our wonderful PCSO solved it.

“She was able to come up with this idea and it worked fantastically.

“She demonstrates that police are part of the community. Her positive work can increase the public’s confidence in our service as well as reduce crime and antisocial behaviour.”

The 43-year-old suspect was arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure and also for an attempted rape, which took place in the park on May 29. He has been bailed until October 13 pending further inquiries.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:01am Fri 13 Jun 14

ToySoldier says...

born and raised criminal wrote:
ToySoldier wrote:
born and raised criminal wrote:
It really just goes to show how shiit Essex police are. Police helicopter and lots police on the ground couldn't catch him, but a fat PCSO could.
You stupid ignorant fool! Why do people within the services bother helping idiots like you?! I bet you'd be grateful if this PCSO helped nick someone that harmed a member of your family!
I don't bother calling the police. I don't interact with police. If someone harmed me or my family I would land up sorting out the problem myself, by knocking 7 shades of shiit out of them and putting them in hospital. People should never fucck with me or my family because that's what lands up happening. The victim is told to never tell the police because we will land up killing them.
You really are a piece of work aren't you. You must be so proud of yourself. And why would I have expected an intelligent response from someone calling themselves, "born and raised criminal"? Go back to watching Jeremy Kyle mate.
[quote][p][bold]born and raised criminal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ToySoldier[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]born and raised criminal[/bold] wrote: It really just goes to show how shiit Essex police are. Police helicopter and lots police on the ground couldn't catch him, but a fat PCSO could.[/p][/quote]You stupid ignorant fool! Why do people within the services bother helping idiots like you?! I bet you'd be grateful if this PCSO helped nick someone that harmed a member of your family![/p][/quote]I don't bother calling the police. I don't interact with police. If someone harmed me or my family I would land up sorting out the problem myself, by knocking 7 shades of shiit out of them and putting them in hospital. People should never fucck with me or my family because that's what lands up happening. The victim is told to never tell the police because we will land up killing them.[/p][/quote]You really are a piece of work aren't you. You must be so proud of yourself. And why would I have expected an intelligent response from someone calling themselves, "born and raised criminal"? Go back to watching Jeremy Kyle mate. ToySoldier
  • Score: 18

12:01pm Fri 13 Jun 14

born and raised criminal says...

ToySoldier wrote:
born and raised criminal wrote:
ToySoldier wrote:
born and raised criminal wrote:
It really just goes to show how shiit Essex police are. Police helicopter and lots police on the ground couldn't catch him, but a fat PCSO could.
You stupid ignorant fool! Why do people within the services bother helping idiots like you?! I bet you'd be grateful if this PCSO helped nick someone that harmed a member of your family!
I don't bother calling the police. I don't interact with police. If someone harmed me or my family I would land up sorting out the problem myself, by knocking 7 shades of shiit out of them and putting them in hospital. People should never fucck with me or my family because that's what lands up happening. The victim is told to never tell the police because we will land up killing them.
You really are a piece of work aren't you. You must be so proud of yourself. And why would I have expected an intelligent response from someone calling themselves, "born and raised criminal"? Go back to watching Jeremy Kyle mate.
I don't watch that crap. I'm too good for that.
[quote][p][bold]ToySoldier[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]born and raised criminal[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ToySoldier[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]born and raised criminal[/bold] wrote: It really just goes to show how shiit Essex police are. Police helicopter and lots police on the ground couldn't catch him, but a fat PCSO could.[/p][/quote]You stupid ignorant fool! Why do people within the services bother helping idiots like you?! I bet you'd be grateful if this PCSO helped nick someone that harmed a member of your family![/p][/quote]I don't bother calling the police. I don't interact with police. If someone harmed me or my family I would land up sorting out the problem myself, by knocking 7 shades of shiit out of them and putting them in hospital. People should never fucck with me or my family because that's what lands up happening. The victim is told to never tell the police because we will land up killing them.[/p][/quote]You really are a piece of work aren't you. You must be so proud of yourself. And why would I have expected an intelligent response from someone calling themselves, "born and raised criminal"? Go back to watching Jeremy Kyle mate.[/p][/quote]I don't watch that crap. I'm too good for that. born and raised criminal
  • Score: -15

12:11pm Fri 13 Jun 14

emcee says...

Why, oh why, do so many commenters on the Echo site insist on replying to the trolls? It would not be so bad if the trolls were good at hiding the fact that they are trolling but they are so rediculously blatent in their attempts, it beggars belief that some people are drawn in.
Why, oh why, do so many commenters on the Echo site insist on replying to the trolls? It would not be so bad if the trolls were good at hiding the fact that they are trolling but they are so rediculously blatent in their attempts, it beggars belief that some people are drawn in. emcee
  • Score: 15

1:57pm Fri 13 Jun 14

MarcelloM says...

Brilliant, creative policing. A real life Miss Marple - thinking outside the box and sneering a would-be attacker. Well done!
Brilliant, creative policing. A real life Miss Marple - thinking outside the box and sneering a would-be attacker. Well done! MarcelloM
  • Score: 10

3:44pm Fri 13 Jun 14

born and raised criminal says...

emcee wrote:
Why, oh why, do so many commenters on the Echo site insist on replying to the trolls? It would not be so bad if the trolls were good at hiding the fact that they are trolling but they are so rediculously blatent in their attempts, it beggars belief that some people are drawn in.
So it clearly means then that the trolls are doing a good job. Im not a troll. Im just telling facts, opinions and my wild views on this world of ours.
[quote][p][bold]emcee[/bold] wrote: Why, oh why, do so many commenters on the Echo site insist on replying to the trolls? It would not be so bad if the trolls were good at hiding the fact that they are trolling but they are so rediculously blatent in their attempts, it beggars belief that some people are drawn in.[/p][/quote]So it clearly means then that the trolls are doing a good job. Im not a troll. Im just telling facts, opinions and my wild views on this world of ours. born and raised criminal
  • Score: -7

4:45pm Fri 13 Jun 14

runwellian says...

All that money wasted trying to trace / catch him, I hope his sentence reflects the tax payers money wasted on 'copters' etc. but no doubt will get a holiday in a nioe cosy prison with all mod cons!
All that money wasted trying to trace / catch him, I hope his sentence reflects the tax payers money wasted on 'copters' etc. but no doubt will get a holiday in a nioe cosy prison with all mod cons! runwellian
  • Score: 1

5:41pm Fri 13 Jun 14

born and raised criminal says...

runwellian wrote:
All that money wasted trying to trace / catch him, I hope his sentence reflects the tax payers money wasted on 'copters' etc. but no doubt will get a holiday in a nioe cosy prison with all mod cons!
That's how it should be I feel. It's against people's human rights to be treated poorly in prison.
[quote][p][bold]runwellian[/bold] wrote: All that money wasted trying to trace / catch him, I hope his sentence reflects the tax payers money wasted on 'copters' etc. but no doubt will get a holiday in a nioe cosy prison with all mod cons![/p][/quote]That's how it should be I feel. It's against people's human rights to be treated poorly in prison. born and raised criminal
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree