MPs' claimed £167,000 expenses over last year

Southend Standard: Top claimer - David Amess Top claimer - David Amess

SOUTH Essex MPs continue to claim thousands of pounds in parliamentary expenses,
figures show.

He now commutes to Parliament every day and has not claimed accommodation costs for seven months.

Mr Amess also employs wife, Julie, as a secretary and caseworker, who is on a salary band of £15,000 to £20,000.

Thurrock’s Conservative MP, Jackie Doyle-Price, claimed £29,755, with £21,808 of that being spent on her constituency office, which she shares with South Basildon and East Thurrock Tory, Stephen Metcalfe. He claimed an almost identical sum for the office, from a total claim of £26,277.

Ms Doyle-Price also employs partner, Thurrock councillor Mark Coxshall, as office manager on the same band as Mrs Amess.

He works part-time for her and Mr Metcalfe.

She said: “I claim no more than I need to do the job. I share a constituency office with Stephen.

Mark is employed by both of us and has been since we were elected. The constituency office manages all casework.

“I am aware of the noise around employing connected parties. I amconfident I get much more work out of Mark than I would from anyone else. Inmany cases, employing spouses is good value for money for the taxpayer as their work doesn’t stop when they leave the office at 5pm.”

Basildon and Billericay Tory MP, John Baron, claimed £25,546, with Rochford and Southend East Tory MP James Duddridge claiming £28,278.

Mr Baron spent £22,000 on his rented constituency office in Bentalls, Basildon. A spokesman for Mr Baron said: “The constituency office rent is £900 a month. The balance is made up of items associated with running the Westminster and constituency offices, such as printer toners, photocopier cartridges, paper and stationery.”

Mr Duddridge claimed £6,970 on accommodation and £15,000 on his office. He said: “I stay in a hotel when the Commons finishes after 10.30pm, in order to be at my desk before 7.30am.”

He added he had found ways to save other costs, including use of e-mail more than post, removing an unused fax line and halving printer toner costs by changing supplier.

Mark Francois, Tory MP for Rayleigh and Wickford, claimed £13,030, mainly on staff. He said being a former Shadow Treasury spokesman had made him more thrifty. He said: “I am very conscious everything we claim has to be paid for out of tax payers’ money. There has been an increase in staffing costs for a number of MPs, but this has chiefly been driven by the number of e-mails we receive from constituents, .”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:02pm Wed 18 Sep 13

emcee says...

Employing your own family and, therefore, adding to the houshold finances, should be against the rules. By all means employ them out of your own pocket but claims for staff should only be for those employed outside the friends and family circle.
Employing your own family and, therefore, adding to the houshold finances, should be against the rules. By all means employ them out of your own pocket but claims for staff should only be for those employed outside the friends and family circle. emcee
  • Score: 18

4:09pm Wed 18 Sep 13

firedog says...

Surprise surprise. You could have guessed whose names were going appear.
Surprise surprise. You could have guessed whose names were going appear. firedog
  • Score: 9

4:26pm Wed 18 Sep 13

Jack222 says...

MPs.

Hmm
1) No PM should allow to sit in parliament after running the country for 5 years. Why? He/She should be exhausted.

2) Expenses for MPs? Other than plane fairs for those serving in Wales, NI and, and Scotland there should be none except for holiday Inn beds (or equivalent) for the above if planes are cancelled.

3) No MP should be allowed to be a member of Parliament for more than ten years. Why? He/ She will have forgotten the real world by then and needs to rejoin it.

4) No pension; they are more than well enough paid and given 2 they can get another job with a pension...
MPs. Hmm 1) No PM should allow to sit in parliament after running the country for 5 years. Why? He/She should be exhausted. 2) Expenses for MPs? Other than plane fairs for those serving in Wales, NI and, and Scotland there should be none except for holiday Inn beds (or equivalent) for the above if planes are cancelled. 3) No MP should be allowed to be a member of Parliament for more than ten years. Why? He/ She will have forgotten the real world by then and needs to rejoin it. 4) No pension; they are more than well enough paid and given 2 they can get another job with a pension... Jack222
  • Score: 5

4:27pm Wed 18 Sep 13

disambiguation says...

Mere chicken feed, in the throws of spending, within the benefits, dished out daily, get it into perspective.
Mere chicken feed, in the throws of spending, within the benefits, dished out daily, get it into perspective. disambiguation
  • Score: -7

4:47pm Wed 18 Sep 13

DogsMessInLeigh says...

employ someone who 'really' needs a job.
employ someone who 'really' needs a job. DogsMessInLeigh
  • Score: 7

5:54pm Wed 18 Sep 13

fletch12107 says...

What do they actually do that is of benefit to anyone in their constituency?
What do they actually do that is of benefit to anyone in their constituency? fletch12107
  • Score: 7

5:57pm Wed 18 Sep 13

shallotman says...

As these jobs are paid out of the public purse. Should the not be advertised so that anyone can apply.
As these jobs are paid out of the public purse. Should the not be advertised so that anyone can apply. shallotman
  • Score: 5

6:10pm Wed 18 Sep 13

disambiguation says...

Most of these posters, are simply jealous of the fact, that an M.P. can earn fortunes, employ their family and friends, enjoy fine homes and holidays abroad, drive a new car, and sit fairly smug, when so many others are living in a doomed world of poverty, which I will add, is their own doing.
If anyone wants to earn big, enjoy the many benefits of the high life, they could have.
Most though sat there, content with their mundane lives, happy to sit back, whilst others went on to universities, and the long road to a political life, projected by their grit and determination to do something positive with their lives.
Most of these posters, are simply jealous of the fact, that an M.P. can earn fortunes, employ their family and friends, enjoy fine homes and holidays abroad, drive a new car, and sit fairly smug, when so many others are living in a doomed world of poverty, which I will add, is their own doing. If anyone wants to earn big, enjoy the many benefits of the high life, they could have. Most though sat there, content with their mundane lives, happy to sit back, whilst others went on to universities, and the long road to a political life, projected by their grit and determination to do something positive with their lives. disambiguation
  • Score: -11

6:11pm Wed 18 Sep 13

Keptquiettillnow says...

Mr Duddridge saves money.... yep by not replying to his constituents.
Mr Duddridge saves money.... yep by not replying to his constituents. Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: 12

7:29pm Wed 18 Sep 13

Kim Gandy says...

Well those of you who keep voting them in.... repeatedly.... or those who don't bother to vote at all.. do you really think you have the right to comment.

Let's not forget who the employers are... and if you don't vote or vote unwisely you are also failing in your duty.

There will be another chance in 2015. General elections in this country have pathetically low turn outs and the yet we are a nation of moaners. Myself included. But at least I have a) voted in every general and local election since I was 18 and b) Served as a councillor myself and c) Stood for parliament twice and local elections several times.

And before you lefties start sniping, first of all let's hear YOUR great contribution to local or national politics. Otherwise shut up. You know who yo are.
Well those of you who keep voting them in.... repeatedly.... or those who don't bother to vote at all.. do you really think you have the right to comment. Let's not forget who the employers are... and if you don't vote or vote unwisely you are also failing in your duty. There will be another chance in 2015. General elections in this country have pathetically low turn outs and the yet we are a nation of moaners. Myself included. But at least I have a) voted in every general and local election since I was 18 and b) Served as a councillor myself and c) Stood for parliament twice and local elections several times. And before you lefties start sniping, first of all let's hear YOUR great contribution to local or national politics. Otherwise shut up. You know who yo are. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 5

7:41pm Wed 18 Sep 13

Marcus blue says...

What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY???
What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY??? Marcus blue
  • Score: 0

8:46pm Wed 18 Sep 13

Kim Gandy says...

Marcus blue wrote:
What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY???
I agree entirely with your point about footballers. However, if people are stupid enough to pay astronomical ticket prices, that's their problem.

However, MPs are ELECTED by the public to serve the public. Not to line their pockets and help themselves to things like duck houses and moats, expensive hotels and suchlike.

I don't think anybody begrudges a politician expenses for things like phone calls, stationery and travel - but why can't they for example stay in a Travelodge or B and B like everyone else?

That said, I know some politicians who do not claim any expenses.
[quote][p][bold]Marcus blue[/bold] wrote: What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY???[/p][/quote]I agree entirely with your point about footballers. However, if people are stupid enough to pay astronomical ticket prices, that's their problem. However, MPs are ELECTED by the public to serve the public. Not to line their pockets and help themselves to things like duck houses and moats, expensive hotels and suchlike. I don't think anybody begrudges a politician expenses for things like phone calls, stationery and travel - but why can't they for example stay in a Travelodge or B and B like everyone else? That said, I know some politicians who do not claim any expenses. Kim Gandy
  • Score: 4

1:24am Thu 19 Sep 13

emcee says...

Marcus blue wrote:
What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY???
You have already answered your own question, in a round about way.

Footballers are paid by the money raised for TV rights, advertisers, coorporate interests and the fans who choose to pay for tickets to watch their favourite team play. As someone who does not follow football and has no specific team to support, why should I be concerned over the income of individual football players? As long as they pay their taxes their income is for their team management to worry about and for their own conscious to deal with.

MPs, on the other hand, are paid for with my taxes. They also have a direct influence on how I am allowed live my life and, therefore, I have every right to concern myself whether or not I am getting value for my money.
[quote][p][bold]Marcus blue[/bold] wrote: What I don't understand is why there is so much public anger about MPs salaries and yet none whatsoever about what professional footballers earn. MPs may get £100,000 a year including expenses. Wayne Rooney earns more than £100,000 a WEEK. MPs are paid by our taxes. Premier League footballers are paid (largely) by our monthly Sky subscriptions. Maybe a MP is paid more than he really earns but footballers are GROSSLY overpaid. Yet there are rarely any comments about this. WHY???[/p][/quote]You have already answered your own question, in a round about way. Footballers are paid by the money raised for TV rights, advertisers, coorporate interests and the fans who choose to pay for tickets to watch their favourite team play. As someone who does not follow football and has no specific team to support, why should I be concerned over the income of individual football players? As long as they pay their taxes their income is for their team management to worry about and for their own conscious to deal with. MPs, on the other hand, are paid for with my taxes. They also have a direct influence on how I am allowed live my life and, therefore, I have every right to concern myself whether or not I am getting value for my money. emcee
  • Score: 9

7:38am Thu 19 Sep 13

Democrat says...

Well done Mark Francois.
Well done Mark Francois. Democrat
  • Score: 1

9:28am Thu 19 Sep 13

max zorin says...

make the greedy scroungers pay it all back.
make the greedy scroungers pay it all back. max zorin
  • Score: 3

10:10am Thu 19 Sep 13

anon anon says...

My mate "Bob" fiddled his expenses. He is currently sitting by the Indian Ocean. His kindle just broke so he says he will have to sleep a lot.
My mate "Bob" fiddled his expenses. He is currently sitting by the Indian Ocean. His kindle just broke so he says he will have to sleep a lot. anon anon
  • Score: 1

1:10pm Thu 19 Sep 13

lestidey@btinternet.com says...

why is it every time I read an article regarding M Ps
the words snout and trough come to mind
why is it every time I read an article regarding M Ps the words snout and trough come to mind lestidey@btinternet.com
  • Score: 1

1:27pm Thu 19 Sep 13

Rochford Rob says...

Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily.

I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax)

Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue.

I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house.

Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too.
Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily. I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax) Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue. I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house. Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too. Rochford Rob
  • Score: 1

1:44pm Thu 19 Sep 13

disambiguation says...

Rochford Rob wrote:
Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily.

I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax)

Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue.

I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house.

Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too.
You really are quite emotional, aren't you.
[quote][p][bold]Rochford Rob[/bold] wrote: Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily. I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax) Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue. I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house. Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too.[/p][/quote]You really are quite emotional, aren't you. disambiguation
  • Score: 0

1:46pm Thu 19 Sep 13

disambiguation says...

lestidey@btinternet.
com
wrote:
why is it every time I read an article regarding M Ps
the words snout and trough come to mind
Fancy using your email address as your user name here
[quote][p][bold]lestidey@btinternet. com[/bold] wrote: why is it every time I read an article regarding M Ps the words snout and trough come to mind[/p][/quote]Fancy using your email address as your user name here disambiguation
  • Score: 0

3:45pm Thu 19 Sep 13

Rochford Rob says...

disambiguation wrote:
Rochford Rob wrote: Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily. I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax) Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue. I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house. Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too.
You really are quite emotional, aren't you.
Meaning?

I suggest you change your monicker.
[quote][p][bold]disambiguation[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rochford Rob[/bold] wrote: Poor Fatty Pickles has to be accomodated in central London all on expenses('natch) because he can't haul his bulk from SW1 to CM13 daily. I manage W1 to SS1 on the train with ease. Strange that, and it costs ME north of 4K (after tax) Troughing b@stards all of them regardless of their political hue. I've just read that nice Mr Bliar (Labour) bought his daughter a 975K house. Hmmmm. Seems we probably all paid for that too.[/p][/quote]You really are quite emotional, aren't you.[/p][/quote]Meaning? I suggest you change your monicker. Rochford Rob
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree