Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting ECHONEWS to 80360, or email us Click here for details »
Couple and baby escape house fire
A COUPLE and their young baby escaped a house fire which has left them homeless.
When crews from Rayleigh Weir arrived at the house in Louis Drive, Rayleigh the bedroom window had blown out and flames were leaping into the air.
The couple in their 30s and their eight month old baby had escaped after dialling 999 at about 8.30pm on Sunday.
The mother had been watching television in a bedroom in the converted loft when it started flickering.
When she returned with her husband to the room the television had caught alight.
Sub officer Tony Vickress said: "When we arrived the window had blown out. It was a rapid fire because of the plastic around the TV.
"There were flames coming out of the window and thick acrid black smoke.
"I immediately sent two firefighters in with a hose and a further two and with a jet through the window it was quickly extinguished.
"It was punishing. It was extremely hot up in the bedroom in the converted loft. The crew did a brilliant job."
Paramedics assessed the couple and baby for smoke inhalation but they did not need hospital treatment.